Docking mod

Pleborian

errrr. Nivvydaskrl. i posted and then ur post came up. this happened twice now. :l

I noticed that too; we must be watching the same threads!

Anyway, super stoked to try this this weekend -- being able to boost/alter station orbits, do rescue maneuvers on unfueled craft...mm, so many possibilities. I really want to see the code, too, to see if I can help at all.

IMHO, it's nice to have a docking mod that doesn't come with the autopilot as seen in the other mod!

The source code is included as per the plugin release rules.

The docking mod you created works well. I seem to have issues when coupling to debris, though- the parts gradually separate during warp, and although they usually come back together, once a certain distance is reached they separate completely. Any ideas on how to stop this?

This really is an encourageing start. It needs some polishing, but you really should release it properly on the mods forum.

For cosmetic purposes, I edited the cfg of one of the old Dockur adapters from the Kosmos packs to turn it into a proper docking adapter. If your going into space, you might as well do it with style ;)

screenshot18i.png

Note the Mumech Hull Cam above the docking ring. Below the docking ring is a modified Fuel Transfer module.

Using the hull cam as a docking camera makes following the target easier. Also, the MechJeb Rendezvous information pane gives you the distance and relative speed.

screenshot20xi.png

Hard dock achieved at 500.000m altitude. Technological demonstrations included attitude control, propulsion systems, and fuel transfer (with the Fuel Transfer Mod).

screenshot23cy.png

Protip: Disable the Smart ASS on one of the ships so that they don't interfere.

Before undocking, Jeb performed an EVA to inspect the docking adapters. After confirmation with ground control, the two spacecraft undocked and reentered safely.

screenshot24a.png

Edited by Nibb31

Thanks heaps for the feedback. I'll be ironing out a couple issues and adding a few features today, then I'll post it in the addon release section.

This isn't the docking mod from the OP, I just got impatient and made one myself last night.

I don't know if anyone has run into this problem and i read the forum to see if it was brought up. When I was creating a space station I had a ship docked to the station. I would shoot another rocket to dock but when I get close enough the other ship and station are seperated. I don't think I need to say how big of a problem that could be when building a station.

I agree, better to start with something than from nothing at all. Then again, they might want to implement docking in a different manner, so they might not be able to even use the starting point that these mods offer. What will be useful though is for them to see any problems we have with docking using a mod, so they can make sure to fix those problems whenever they implement docking. In other words, by having a docking mod, it'll be a great run-down to see what all needs to be put in with the first official docking release =3

Again i come to present my gratitude to the mod maker after i've successfully made an exchange of 6 kerbal-nauts between the Kerbal International Space Station (AKA KISS) and a crew ship launched from KSC.

Of course I'm still looking forward to other mods or official updates that implements docking.

Only screenshots can represent my thrilled emotion:

Edited by HoneyFox

Again i come to present my gratitude to the mod maker after i've successfully made an exchange of 6 kerbal-nauts between the Kerbal International Space Station (AKA KISS) and a crew ship launched from KSC.

Of course I'm still looking forward to other mods or official updates that implements docking.

Only screenshots can represent my thrilled emotion:

What plugin set are you using for rendezvous? I've used MechJeb 1.9.1 with the camera plugin to achieve better rendezvous, but it doesn't have nearly as many features...

Docking is still working like a charm, though!

How does this go with multiple docks? Does it freak out or do you just need to approach the correct dock?

Nice work. :)

Well it's actually easier than thought.

It seems that the docking system will automatically pick docks nearby (maybe the nearest) once enables the dock by pressing the button. Then just need to maneuver to align to the port and get closer. Finally the dock system will generate a tractor force which pulls the two ships together. Once done the dock will be locked and kerbal-nauts are ready to go out for some "fresh air". XD

Are the developers still going to attempt to make the docking from scratch? I don't see why, since that would be a huge waste of development time...

This is really just a quick hack. I'm not sure that the plugin API allows real orbital construction or switching focus. Real docking, added to the core code of KSP, will allow so much more.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.