SimpleConstruction! (SCON) Stock rocket building

zer0Kerbal

Is there any way to control where the constructed part 'connects' from? Take a look at the picture above. You'll see a Large Docking Port on the end of the 'complex'. In the Airplane Hangar, I went to considerable lengths to make that Port match up to the Ring on the back of my Rover, straight out and flat. Except it keeps coming out at a complete 90 angle.

What am I doing wrong?

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2024 at 12:33 AM, Ariel Kerman said:

Sure. This should be pasted at the end of SECTION 1 in the ComonResources config file.

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
	name = MetalOre
	displayName = #LOC_CRP_Metals_DisplayName
	density = 0.007
	unitCost = 14.1
	flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
	transfer = PUMP
	isTweakable = true
   	isVisible = true
	volume = 1
}

I can confirm this works and fixes the B9PartSwitch errors for KSP 1.12.5 for SimpleConstruction (SCON!).

The file location is /Kerbal Space Program/GameData/CommunityResourcePack/CommonResources.cfg

It might be the combination of FarFutureTechnology that causes this. I don't remember this error in my previous SCON! playthroughs, and FarFutureTechnology is a new part mod I added. Regardless, the patch above fixes it! Thank you for the help. 

@Tiberius The cause of the issue you're reporting on is that while SCON sees MetalOre as unneccesary to itself, it goes out of its way to ship an altered copy of EL that purposely lacks the resource definition. That wasn't the wisest idea since every mod that is compatible with EL has use for that resource and players will still install those mods with this one. SSPXr and mods I make feature tanks that use B9PS to conditionally provide MetalOre storage, but B9PS (and sometimes KSP itself) get very, very unhappy when a resource is undefined.

I would not recommend inserting the MetalOre definition into CRP's configs. Save your own new .cfg file in a new folder for containing your personal patches. CRP already officially contains MetallicOre (and Metals) which are parallel to MetalOre (and Metal) respectively.

On 7/5/2024 at 6:05 AM, stephensmat said:

It took some finessing. I kept ending up with my first Ground Colony appearing like this. Rotating the Degrees seemed to only work on the Y axis.

AKia6cn.jpeg

This is a long standing "bug" but very easy to fix. Technically, its working as "intended," its just confusing.

This video attempts to explain and show you how to fix the bug.

Important things to remember:

The correct orientation is 90 degrees from what you would expect. The docking port of the newly built craft should face downward in the VAB. Or sideways in the SPH. You are 90 degrees off.  Rotate your craft like an "L". 

The VAB and SPH have different orientations. One starts crafts off vertical, one starts off horizontal. 

Subassemblies are extra confusing. Subassemblies appear to keep the orientation that they originally had when they were first removed and saved as a subassembly. Put another way, subassemblies keep the orientation of the part they are pulled off of. This is not shown visually in the editor at all. Once saved, you cannot change a subassemblies orientation.  If you pull a subassembly out in the editor, they will appear to orient themselves vertical, but that is not their true orientation. They keep the hidden, saved orientation of their original root part. Which unfortunately, is always 90 degrees off.

To change a subassembly's orientation, you must attach it to a new root part. Rotate that root part. Then pull the subassembly off in that rotation. Then resave the subassembly. Once again, parts are saved 90 degrees from what you would expect. 

---

Craft files are easier to re-orient. You want to save the craft with the docking port as the root part. With the docking port facing downwards. Or "upside down". In the video, he makes it sideways, because he's crafting in the horizontal SPH. Craft files are easier to rotate, unlike subassemblies, because they don't have a hidden orientation. You can visually see and rotate the root part to make it correct. 

---

This is the technical explanation from the Extraplanetary Launchpad manual:

The micro-pad is a single-use construction point. When the build is finalized, the pad self-destructs and the build is attached to the parent vessel as if the build had been placed there in the editor (VAB or SPH). Also, the micro-pad can be carried on a kerbal’s back using KISIgorZ n.d.(b).

The orientation and position of the build is controlled by the combination of the orientation and position of the micro-pad, and the automatically selected attach node of the root part. The colored diamonds on the micro-pad indicate the orientation of the root part when its bottom node is selected (red = +X, blue = +Z, cyan = -X, yellow = -Z15. It is important to remember that when the micro-pad is facing up, the root part’s selected node will be facing down, having been rotated around the part’s Z axis.

The micro-pad automatically selects the attach node of the root part by searching for the first available (unattached) node. First the bottom node is checked, then the top node, then any remaining nodes in the order they are found. Thus a small amount of control over which node is selected can be obtained simply by attaching parts to the undesired nodes.

Basically, if you make a big craft in the editor, and attempt to break it apart into smaller pieces, and save those pieces, all the pieces will be 90 degrees off. The smaller pieces you break off need to be rotated 90 degrees. Save them as craft files, instead of subassemblies, to help make them easier to rotate. 

I will make try to make a video to explain it better. 

Edited by Tiberius