Question about coordinates

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have MechJeb and have no intention to get it. I know it can be very helpful, it just seems... "less than pure" to me to mod a game. And I know about the coordinates once you land, but if I wanted to go to a set of given coordinates, how would I find and subsequently land there?

Eh, I'm normally a purist too, but for me mechjeb just automates some of what would be the more tedious features to me and with better accuracy than I could do them due to the fact that I don't know how to/if you can decrease thrust from the map screen or see the apiosis from the normal screen. I don't really want to play the game to do math that I don't understand, I want to make awesome rockets and have them not explode and go into space. I actually have a few mods downloaded for KSP, I guess because I feel it's unfinished (which of course it is). The only other modded components I actually use are ion engines and cosmetic dishes, then just for small satellites.

But to each their own. As long as KSP isn't multiplayer it doesn't matter in the slightest what other people do or don't do.

• 7 months later...
Once you have a ship landed on a world, go to the map view and hover the mouse over it. The name of the ship and its lattitude and longitude will appear.

Which is not as easy as it sounds. My moonbase (well... that heap of a few landers some buses and a rover. Not to forget various debris...) is pretty crowded. And right now I can't FIND my rover... and I need the exact coordinates.

Oh well...

If you want to get your coordinates, you need some sort of mod. Simple as.

If you're opposed to MechJeb, you could get ISA MapSat. The receiver module tells you where you are. Though, MapSat uses dec coordinates with only one decimal point, and MechJeb uses degrees-minutes-seconds, which is more precise.

I think the Surface tab of Kerbal Engineer Redux (includes much of the same info as MechJeb, without the autopilot) also shows you the surface coordinates of your craft in flight. I don't have that option set on my copy if it does exist, since I don't really use it, but I think it's there.

You don't need mods to see your coordinates! Just hit Alt+F12 and click on "Show Flight Debug Stats" and in the top right corner, you should see your current coordinates!

Indeed, if you're not in favor of Mechjeb, then ISA Mapsat is a good bet. As I prefer to keep all but my mapping probes 100% stock I don't actually install the receiver on any vehicle, but if I want a co-ordinate I can switch to the mapping probe, find the spot I want and pick out features in the terrain to guide me in. Then switch back to my craft and land based on what I observed.

If you want to get your coordinates, you need some sort of mod. Simple as.

No. Alt-F12 and turn on Flight Debug Statistics. It gives continuous, high precision LAT/LON along with a variety of other useful information.

Frankly, if you refuse to use any mods, then you don't actually need to know your LAT/LON coordinates anyway. They aren't of any use to you in the game.

How do mods or the lack thereof have any impact on the usefulness of coordinates? The OP asked about coordinates as regards a particular landing site or an easter egg. Both of those are entirely usable with in game latitude and longitude; they'll help you find whatever it is you're trying to find.

How do mods or the lack thereof have any impact on the usefulness of coordinates? The OP asked about coordinates as regards a particular landing site or an easter egg. Both of those are entirely usable with in game latitude and longitude; they'll help you find whatever it is you're trying to find.

The only way to get them (without digging into the hidden debug panel which is not intended to be part of the standard user interface, or it wouldn't be hidden and named "debug") is to land. So, to find your landing point, you land somewhere random, check your LAT/LON, take off and land again, check your LAT/LON, take off and land again, getting closer each time? Yeah, they're really useful without mods (or the debug panel).

Edited by RoboRay

Frankly, if you refuse to use any mods, then you don't actually need to know your LAT/LON coordinates anyway. They aren't of any use to you in the game.

Unless of course you are trying to track down an easter egg.

The only way to get them (without digging into the hidden debug panel which is not intended to be part of the standard user interface, or it wouldn't be hidden and named "debug") is to land. So, to find your landing point, you land somewhere random, check your LAT/LON, take off and land again, check your LAT/LON, take off and land again, getting closer each time? Yeah, they're really useful without mods (or the debug panel).

I have used this method a number of times to track down easter eggs. In fact I did it last night on Bop. Just because you play the game one way does not make it the right way.

• 6 months later...

Am I a bad player if I use Hyperedit to rendevous to dock with other vessels...

Sorry I just can't learn it... I feel a bit ashamed, sometimes I use cheats cuz I can figure out a perfect amount of fuel... I suck at math too, I just want the game to be fun, I'm always abit ashamed when I play it...

always abit ashamed when I play it...
Nobody is keeping score, Mcfisker. Play the game the way you think is fun. There's nothing to be ashamed of. :D

However, the information in this thread is pretty old, and might mislead people rather than help them. I'm going to close the thread to avoid confusion, but if you have any specific questions, Mcfisker, please feel free to ask them or seek answers in more current threads. And check out the tutorials subsection, where you'll find guides to rendezvous and docking.