[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion Thread 3

rasheed

I think the atmosphere of Jool at last will be so thick, that spaceship will finally float in it just like in water :rolleyes:

If I was a developer, I would make ships blast due to overpressure (maybe, except some special details) in such situation, and, in order to avoid it, would add balloons to fly in the sky of Jool on heights, where there is normal pressure.

Sorry for my Engrish, again :)

I think the atmosphere of Jool at last will be so thick, that spaceship will finally float in it just like in water :rolleyes:

If I was a developer, I would make ships blast due to overpressure (maybe, except some special details) in such situation, and, in order to avoid it, would add balloons to fly in the sky of Jool on heights, where there is normal pressure.

Sorry for my Engrish, again :)

Of course the debs are gonna make our ship blow up. They'd be crazy to even question If they should lol.

TheProdigy, I mean, that balloons on Jool should be an alternate to standart landing on rocky planets/moon, but Jool must still stay available for exploration, not only blow up encountering ships.

Or there can be some special bathyscaphe-type modules/parts that will not blow up even in the deeps of Jool, flying/swimming in it's atmosphere like submarines in Earth oceans :)

I wish they could release a 0.16.x patch that has one extra planet on there to tease us with the full update...

And take time away from their regular Devving? And you know you'd want more than just one planet, why settle for a slice when patience will get you a whole cake :)

I can't wait for the next release either, but Squads track record so far tells me that it'll be worth waiting for :D

Not every jet engine runs on combustible fuel.

NUCLEAR.

Wait... what?

I thought jet engines worked by igniting compressed air and forcing the hot exhaust out the back...

How do you achieve that with nuclear technology?

TheProdigy, I mean, that balloons on Jool should be an alternate to standart landing on rocky planets/moon, but Jool must still stay available for exploration, not only blow up encountering ships.

Or there can be some special bathyscaphe-type modules/parts that will not blow up even in the deeps of Jool, flying/swimming in it's atmosphere like submarines in Earth oceans :)

Why should it be explorable, we can't and on Jupiter for the same reasons, however Jupiter has some interesting moons just like Jool does. So when you're thinking of exploring Jool, think of the Jool system with it's 4(?) moons. I can't wait to be put some probes down on those moons and some probes in LJO!

Wait... what?

I thought jet engines worked by igniting compressed air and forcing the hot exhaust out the back...

Nuclear thermal rockets still require propellant, but they heat and expand it using nuclear energy, instead of burning reactants in the propellant.

I'm going to chime in with a few thoughts:

(1) Cyclers! We discussed a bit before on the Kerbin/Duna cycler concept, but we can practice in Kerbin orbit. A Mün cycler would have a period of 141.175 kiloseconds (MechJeb gives orbital period data in kiloseconds) exactly - minor deviations add up. A Mün/Minmus cycler would be even better practice. Unfortunately, without docking, I don't know how useful they'd be. Still, good practice and something to try in the next version - put a space station in a cycling orbit, or even better, multiple stations in multiple orbits to different planets, and then try to rendezvous. Maybe combine with the Kethane mod parts, so you have a base for each planet, and re-use the landers, but transfer Kerbals using the cyclers?

(2) Jool exploration - I plan to have a backwards firing SRB on an exploration vessel. That way, I can settle into Joolian orbit with my Kerbals, activate the SRB, and detach before it deorbits the vessel. Hit [ to switch to the detached SRB, and it should have enough juice to deorbit and fall into the atmosphere of Jool. That way I can look around without risking my crew. I might well do this the first few times on Eve, as well - perhaps detaching and landing a CrewTank instead, as a future landing target. (Further thought: drop more fuel, and simulate transferring it over into the lander's tanks via savestate editing. That may have potential...)

(3) Alternative mission architecture: the existence of mini-moons around Jool and Eve makes for attractive targets for really large transfer vehicles. Rather than the two-ship approach, the better long-term plan may be:

(a) Land (or put into low orbit) at Gilly/Bop a Kerbin transfer vehicle with loads of room for Kerbals.

(B) Put a transfer vehicle which shuttles between Eve/Jool's other moons and Gilly/Bop with enough room for 1 pilot plus a planetary crew.

© Land actual exploration crews to Eve or the other Joolian moons, then fly them back to low orbit.

I think over the long run, this would be the most effective way to do large-scale exploration of Eve or the Joolian moons. I already sorta kinda take this approach, minus the transfer vehicle in (B), for exploring the moons now - I have a "Mun Bus" which ferries crews back, and 1- and 3-Kerbal landers which have plenty of delta-v to hop around and look at stuff. Land them near the Mun Bus and transfer crews, and I get the beginnings of a Mun/Minmus base as a bonus.

Ki11aWi11, on the one hand, you're right; but on the other - the humanity still can't send manned missions even to the Mars, and hadn't fly even to the Moon near an half of century. And we haven't send such missions to asteroids. But Kerbals have. So, why they can fly to asteroids, to the moons, to the other planets, but can't go to the Jool?

The only reason I see is it's monstrous gravity. But I don't think it is overmastering obstacle for green guys, they'll just send heavy rockets to Jool's upper atmoshere non-returnable mission (hardcore) or drone (softcore).

Edited by VVT

Man when this is ready I'm going to be playing it for a whole day without eating or sleeping.

We all will... 0.17 is the update, where the kerbal race has developed better technology than the humanity has. With just one single space center. That's kinda depressing :D

Wait... what?

It's the heat of the chemical reaction that causes the resulting gases to expand - thereby driving the jet engine (or traditional internal combustion or whatever other fuel oxidizer driven powerplant). Nuclear essentially (simply put) does the same thing - except it doesn't require a chemical reaction - using the heat from the nuclear fusion or fission to heat a gas and expel it through an engine - thereby creating thrust. Alternately you can electrostatically accelerate a stream of electrons or ionized particles to significant fractions of the speed of light. The later would be known as an ion engine and is used on some modern day space probes. The former is more theoretical, but holds the potential of being the only source of thrust that would only consume the mass that it turned into energy - making it the most efficient (mass-wise) possible way to provide thrust. Old CRTs use similar streams of electrons to create images - however since they are essentially closed systems (and too low in power) they do not create any thrust at all.

By the way you guys, this is actually the fourth "[uNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion Thread." The actual third one began and was shut down in its infancy at the end of August...http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/18928-Unofficial-Fanmade-17-Development-3?highlight=%5BUNOFFICIAL%2FFANMADE%5D+0.17+Discussion+Thread

Just saying.

KSP email did not come can you help!!!

;.;

For the re-activation? Check your junk-mail.

On-Topic:

Man when this is ready I'm going to be playing it for a whole day without eating or sleeping.

Agreed, only instead of eating, sleeping drinking, bathroom breaks, talking, and moving, I will do it for a week not just a day :) I swear, even new software won't be able to handle all the people clicking "Update" the day .17 comes out.

More Off-Topic:

123rd post! This is when Moderators teach us how to do math :P

And who gets to claim the 100th post in this thread? Anyone? You get free cake if you do...

Edited by swiftgates24
Kermans taste like rainbows.