[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

<a lot of very bad words which I've deleted::asmi>

Wow, Calkihi, I've not read such a nasty, selfish, inconsiderate post to someone who dedicates his free time to a project to make a game better in a long time. Congrats on your bottom feeding troglodyte award.

Kindness is something in short supply in this world, and Ferram - your work is AMAZING... thanks.

Edited by asmi

Is KSP not given proper write permissions in the directory it's in? If that's the case, then the config might not contain the proper values.

An alternative is that you're repeatedly placing the GUI somewhere where it can't visibly load; it's there, but it's moved off the screen. What exactly do you do that causes this?

I like to drag the GUI button up next to the load button, I hadn't thought of it but it's possible that it gets hidden under it after I come back to the SPH. I will mess around with it and see if that's what is actually happening, because as far as I can tell there are no issues otherwise.

Wow, Calkihi, I've not read such a nasty, selfish, inconsiderate post to someone who dedicates his free time to a project to make a game better in a long time. Congrats on your bottom feeding troglodyte award.

Kindness is something in short supply in this world, and Ferram - your work is AMAZING... thanks.

I couldn't agree more.

+1

Is it just me, or does this mod seem broken?

*rant*

It is your loss. Just because you do not understand something does not mean it is bad. That is actually the beauty of the mod; through analyzing your problems, experimenting and maybe reading up on theory you stand to gain a lot of knowledge and have a lot of fun in the process - instead of being subjected the awkward arbitrary set of physics that the stock game throws at you. It is not going to be made easy, as the things modelled are not easy in real life.

So, no, this mod is not broken. It is apparently not for you and your style of playing KSP.

I don't approve of his post either, but could we please quit burning him at a stake and go back to topic?

Hating on haters doesn't bring us anywhere.

On another note: I seem to experience minor stalling as soon as my rockets go to an Alpha of 10° (during Gravity Turn) and suddenly fly better than when they only have an AoA of ~5°. o.O

Greets,

Raven Coldheart

Is KSP not given proper write permissions in the directory it's in? If that's the case, then the config might not contain the proper values.

An alternative is that you're repeatedly placing the GUI somewhere where it can't visibly load; it's there, but it's moved off the screen. What exactly do you do that causes this?

Windows 7 here (so no write permission problem), and i have the same annoyance, the GUI tends to disappear after a while. I usually put the GUI button on the top edge of the screen, and i never move it around...

Also in combination with KJR, i have a weird behaviour while flying my jet on Laythe, pitching is "jerky", it goes step-by-step instead of smoothly (with SAS off). I'll try and make the simplest design that exhibits the behaviour before posting it so you can see it. (also i'll try it again on Kerbin, maybe it has degraded somehow... I use p-wings by the way)

I also confirm the "limp noodle" syndrome on horizontally stacked stuff. My Laythe jet weird behaviour (which is new, didnt do it before) is due to this new wobbly tendency. Link between B9 MK2 cockpit and MK2 reaction wheel + MK2 fuel tank is very loose now.

@Surefoot: That's more of a KJR issue; probably best to discuss it in the KJR thread instead of here. Nevertheless, I'm looking into it.

@KerbMav: Then KSP does not have proper write permissions and cannot save the config.xml file.

@Frederf: Apparently moving the GUI so that the window is just below and to the right of the craft name textbox the button can shift underneath that box, hiding it and preventing you from opening the GUI. Just delete the config.xml buried down in the FAR folders and it should go back to working properly.

@Frederf: Apparently moving the GUI so that the window is just below and to the right of the craft name textbox the button can shift underneath that box, hiding it and preventing you from opening the GUI. Just delete the config.xml buried down in the FAR folders and it should go back to working properly.

I'll be sure to not leave it up there like I used to do.

Okay, version 0.10 is out. It includes a bunch of Editor GUI fixes by a.g., some work from sarbian to prepare for MJ compatibility, and the wonderful addition of proper modeling of command pod lift, so you can do proper lifting reentries now. More info in the changelog, which is in the readme.

Is there a change-log somewhere?

From README:

CHANGELOG:0.10v------------------------------------

Features:

Many, many updates and fixes to the Editor GUI and Center of Lift indicator, courtesy of a.g., including, but not limited to:

--CoL indicator offset error fixed

--Many more options in the static analysis window

--Moment coefficient zero crossings are marked

--Fixes to the stability derivative calculations

Code refactoring by sarbian for future interfacing with MechJeb

Hypersonic body lift is now more properly modeled; lifting reentries with command pods can now be properly done

Bugfixes:

Fixed an issue where the Editor GUI could end up inaccessible due to the minimize button being hidden by stock GUI elements

Is there a special manual around on how to effectively use the simulation functionality of FAR in the VAB/SPH?

Readme.txt only contains general hints and I guess it might be helpful to have an explanation of what you can actually achieve with the simulation tool.

Is there a special manual around on how to effectively use the simulation functionality of FAR in the VAB/SPH?

Readme.txt only contains general hints and I guess it might be helpful to have an explanation of what you can actually achieve with the simulation tool.

Yes please, we Germans like us a good manual! :D

Yeah, that would be great, because I read every Help entry and a whole bunch of wikipedia artikles and still have the feeling, that I use the simulation incorrectly or not to it's fullest extend.

@KerbMav: Fang einfach an Luft und Raumfahrttechnik zu studieren und schreib das Handbuch selber. ;-)

like any other version number.

<complete release version>.<major sub version>.<minor subversion>

its not decimal notation, in which 0.9, in steps of 0.1 is followed by 1.0. its simply counting. We're on Complete release 0, Major Subversion 10, Minor Subversion 0. its perfectly valid to have 3.141.59 if one wants to. Indicating the third full release, 141 major revisions later, with 59 minor tweaks and edits that didn't warrant a new subversion number.

@AdmiralTigerclaw: I suppose I could. Honestly, most of the stuff I've learned with aircraft design has used m/s everywhere, only dipping into other units for climb in ft/min, so it was never a priority for me.

@evilphish, KerbMav and RavenColdheart: I've been planning to do that, but have held off on doing it because of how quickly the underlying code was changing; I'm not really in the mood to have to rewrite large parts of the manual at the same time. Probably have to include some stuff on basic aircraft and rocket aerodynamics for new players as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.