[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

Did you rotate the root part at all? All of my controls were backwards when I started with a backwards root part.

Oops, thanks :)

Edit: tried rotating it, still goes the wrong way, e.g. pitch up and the surface is going downwards.

Edited by Zatie12

Is there any way to modify the default values for the Flight Assistance Options? For example, if I find a DCA of 100-120 more suitable for me, it's annoying to have to edit that every time I fly something. It would be easier if I could permanently adjust the setting.

Is there any way to modify the default values for the Flight Assistance Options? For example, if I find a DCA of 100-120 more suitable for me, it's annoying to have to edit that every time I fly something. It would be easier if I could permanently adjust the setting.

I just looked through the Ferram Aerospace Research folder and did not see anything that stood out. Probably coded into the .dll

@Zatie12: Known issue, have it fixed in my dev version. So as soon as I track down what I think is a bug involving fairings I'll have v0.12.5 out that fixes it.

@steakbbq: Yeah, that bug is also being fixed. As for the stability derivatives, Xw being wrong means that pitching the plane up slightly will reduce your drag slightly, which generally seems wrong, so it's marked red when that happens. If nothing bad seems to happen it makes sense to ignore it. Zu being wrong means that your plane will produce less lift as it goes faster, which is also a little bit strange, but it's quite possible if you're at the proper Mach Number.

@mdapol: I'll look into making the options saving their current number.

Oh thank you for the clarification. So z direction velocity is angular?

Also to make mechjeb ascent guidance work with FAR is there just some variables we would need to change for the ascent guidance/landing guidance variable, or would an api need to be developed to actually pull those variables into mechjeb ascent/landing guidance modules?

I am a programmer and I am just wondering what the level of effort might be to make mechjeb work with far.

Z is vehicle-relative vertical, pointing downward. It turns out to be very close to the angular values if you multiply them by the current velocity.

I know that sarbian has been working on FAR integration for MJ, but the current MJ ascent guidance won't be able to work in FAR at all. Ignoring the thrust control component, it does pitch angle as a function of altitude, completely ignoring velocity except for getting you into a circular orbit, which is a pretty good way to make a rocket pitch out of control with FAR. Then the landing / aerobraking guidance is going to be even more complicated, given that it will have to simulate the drag, lift and the changes in those as the craft tumbles through the atmosphere. So take from that what you will.

Okay! That is a good bit of knowledge right there. I was pretty sure that Z was relative vertically pointing down, so when you mentioned pitch it sent me for a loop. Awesome thank you. Some hints on correcting certain out of bound derivatives would go a long way to making this a little bit of an easier learning experience :D You could put them in the tool-tips that hover.

Yea, I was kind of afraid it might be more complicated then I originally thought. I guess for the time being I should be happy that I can fly better then the computer in an actual atmosphere :D Just gets kind of repetitive. Thanks a lot ferram you are the best mate.

It's possibly (albeit not easy) to fly MJ ascents in FAR. I've done it since I installed FAR when I first started playing.

1. Set turn start to the altitude at which you reach 100m/s (less for high-TWR launches). That's, roughly, .2 if TWR>2, 1.0 if TWR = 1.5, or 1.5 if TWR = 1.2)

2. Set turn end and shape such that you stay on surface-prograde the whole way up, with a max deviation of ~3 degrees. It takes trial and error and is based on your TWR during ascent. Eventually you'll get a feel for it. IIRC with a 1.5TWR ignition stage and a small upper stage I had good success with a 1/40/40 ascent, 0 degrees final angle.

(It's been a while since I've played without RSS).

Turn off "automatic" mode.

Omg I don't know how I missed this before. Spent 10 minutes trying to figure this out.

EDIT: Oh nice you can actually change the turn profile during the flight. If you are a bit too low on the velocity vector you can increase the turn profile a bit and vice versa.

I think part of my problem is I had to turn my joystick sensitivity down so much for flying planes, and the rocket just isnt reactive now, however mechjeb seems to make the rocket turn...

Ferram4,

After updating my OS to Linux Mint 16, FAR started throwing exceptions during the boot-up. When the game is running, FAR does not show up in either the VAB or at the launch pad.

FWIW, using LM15, I had the dev155 build of MechJeb up until now, just revised to dev157; FAR was at least playing with MJ at that time.

Maybe you can make heads-or-tails of the log output:

Kerbal Space Program - 0.23.0.0 (LinuxPlayer)

CPU: AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core Processor (4)

RAM: 3952

GPU: GeForce GT 520/PCIe/SSE2 (1024MB)

SM: 30 (OpenGL 4.3 [4.3.0 NVIDIA 319.32])

[ERR 19:46:50.199] AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'FerramAerospaceResearch': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Additional information about this exception:

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'ferram4.FARGlobalControlEditorObject' from assembly 'FerramAerospaceResearch, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'ferram4.FARGlobalControlFlightObject' from assembly 'FerramAerospaceResearch, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

Clear out 000_Toolbar and reinstall that folder. Make sure that you don't have extra copies of Toolbar.dll floating around and make sure that it's installed correctly. The only other time this issue occurred was due to a Toolbar issue.

Clear out 000_Toolbar and reinstall that folder. Make sure that you don't have extra copies of Toolbar.dll floating around and make sure that it's installed correctly. The only other time this issue occurred was due to a Toolbar issue.

Presuming you were replying to me... :D

I got the same error with no Toolbar installed. I also noticed this just now:

[ERR 20:18:39.983] MechJeb moduleRegistry creation threw an exception in LoadComputerModules loading FerramAerospaceResearch, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebCore.LoadComputerModules () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

There are also several instances of:

[ERR 20:18:40.590] Cannot find a Module of typename 'FARControllableSurface'

... and

[ERR 20:18:40.676] Cannot find a Module of typename 'FARWingAerodynamicModel'

Go into the FAR zip that you downloaded. Copy the 000_Toolbar folder in the GameData foldere there. Paste it into your KSP GameData folder. FAR has a hard dependency on Toolbar.dll, which is why it is included in the download. The error you are having is because you aren't copying over everything that is necessary.

Yeah, you need the toolbar installed or FAR can't load. Hence why it's included in the FAR zip. That would explain the issue then.

You posted just before I did...

OK, let me go back and try as clean an install of FAR and the toolbar as possible...

That did it! Thanks!

@lilzkiller: Are you sure that it's the fairing base? I have identified an issue with fairings that causes uneven forces to the parts, but not with the fairing bases.

I've noticed some pull with the fairing bases but I'm not sure if it's something wrong with the part or just my terrible flying skills.

The fairings also seem to affect the CoL disproportionately. Yes I know, different shapes, but different enough to cause this?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.