[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

...to install visual studio 2013 I need 6GB of free space on C: which I do not have...

Monodevelop is ~70MB to dl. Who runs with <6GB free on C: anyways? repartition time?

scavenger: if you want 64-bit, run KSP on Linux.
Also, this^. This argument has been done to death, there are good reasons it's disabled on Win64.

please can somebody provide a version of FerramAerospaceResearch.dll without the
&& !IsWin64()

for me to use it with 64bit please?

because to install visual studio 2013 I need 6GB of free space on C: which I do not have...

thank you

You can use Reflector + Reflexil and just edit that part of the code to return true or w/e. I do not recommend this though and if you do then don't post any bugs to this thread at all.

@sashan: And there was a bug similar to that that I fixed, though it had nothing to do with engine gimballing. Try Froude, see if it works, if it doesn't, list all the parts on the vehicle that have animations built-in; note that this does not count engine gimbals or control surfaces, FAR never revoxelizes on those movements.

@scavenger: If you don't put in the work yourself, you'll blame me or the person who provided you with the build or the tool when win64 crashes. You're on your own pal, and I'm sorry, but you're not getting any support either.

@Deep silence: I don't see why it wouldn't. Only issue might be if its configs are put together poorly so that it attempts to identify two planets with the same index. That's unlikely, but if it does happen, FAR will refuse to load, and it should be a simple single-line change for the author to fix the FlightGlobals index if that happens.

@scavenger: If you don't put in the work yourself, you'll blame me or the person who provided you with the build or the tool when win64 crashes. You're on your own pal, and I'm sorry, but you're not getting any support either.

Thank you ferram4 for your honnest answer. You confirmed I was right to DIM.

I made it yesterday, it took me like 3 hours but I am proud of the result.

Indeed, one gets game freezes when the plane crash or dismantle because you break some stability barrier, but one just has to press ESC at the right time to revert flight and avoid the freeze. That's all!

We are grown up you know, we understand that we get no support for tweaked mods in tweaked KSP builds, and I personally acknowledge not to disturb you with such crap, promise!

for those interested, here is the 40 steps method to compile FAR 0.15.3 64bits and unlock it for KSP 64bits.

May you authorize me to start a dedicated thread for that, with all the necessary disclamers and all?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Q6Ap85n.png

Edited by scavenger

We are grown up you know, we understand that we get no support for tweaked mods in tweaked KSP builds, and I personally acknowledge not to disturb you with such crap, promise!

Actually, you'd be surprised at the number of people for which this isn't true. In fact, one of the reasons why ferram4 (and many other plugin authors) disabled their plugins in Win64, instead of just saying that you get no support if you use it this way, is that people continued to provide bug reports and refuse to believe that their bugs were the result of running Win64.

The way it works now is reasonable though I think - if you can figure out how to do it yourself, then you're mature enough to understand the potential consequences.

Okay, I take good note of that :)

btw I just uninstalled collisionFX plugin and the game is not freezing anymore when the planes crash (too much FX than the game could handle who knows). FAR again was not the culprit lol

From now on, I get a 64bit version which is STABLE with FAR, but I dunno yet if I will keep it since my planes now are unflightables... and I don't find where are the "getting started" threads for FAR... Or where are the "how to properly build wings" threads...

thanks guys

I just got the no drag again. I wish I could tell you how may reverts I did (more that I would like to admit for sure) but it was... significant.

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2r3wd8unawoq9ju/output_log1.zip?dl=0

Mods

Blizzy Toolbar 1.7.9

B9 Procedural 0.4

CrossFeedEnabler 0.3.3

Far 0.15.3 Froude

KJR 3.1.3

MechJeb 2.5.1 (Release version)

ModularFlightIntgrator 1.0

DPAI 6.2.0

RCS BuildAid 0.7.2

RealChute 1.3.2.3

Trajectories 1.3.0

KAC 3.3.1

Ven's 1.8.1

Waypoint Manager 2.3.0

Iterestingly based on what I saw here is my leading part (science jr in this case) was borked, FAR had a ref area of 0.000, lift, drag, side force, BC, and terminal velocity were all NaN and there was no heat being applied to the leading part. But my remaining parts were getting heat applied so it seems that only the part right next to the decoupler was affected. If I can get this again I will save my screenshot (I did the print screen, but then copied the link for the logs before I pasted the screenshot showing the flight data, d'oh!) and also see if altering my orientation has any affect.

Oh, here is the craft file for the rocket in question. https://www.dropbox.com/s/l6kr82pb1rs7j3k/Auto-Saved%20Ship.zip?dl=0

From now on, I get a 64bit version which is STABLE with FAR, but I dunno yet if I will keep it since my planes now are unflightables... and I don't find where are the "getting started" threads for FAR... Or where are the "how to properly build wings" threads...

Pretty sure there was a surge of discussion on this thread roundabout when 1.0 hit and speculation was rife for what nuFAR would bring to the table - skip back a month or so :)

You may also get some mileage out of http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/121176-Official-FAR-Craft-Repository - at least with regards to the sort of shape of plane you can, and can not, fly under FAR. (Hint; it better look like a real life plane or it'll probably fail.)

"No drag" bug after some time playing - ascend into high KO was fine, but descent was frictionless. Back to normal after restarting KSP (reload did not resolve the issue). Sorry, no logs. Mod list: FAR, DRE, Trajectories, StockBugFix, RealChute, B9 procedural (not used on craft), ProdecuralParts (used on craft) and two dozen more.

Edited by Tau137

@smartdummies: Okay, I thought I had fixed that.

If you would like to try and get numbers for it, it should take fewer reverts with a vehicle that "fills" its bounding box very well; so straight cylinder rockets and command pods will probably cause the issue fastest. If you can get some data on that, it would be great, since I've just pushed out a dev build that I think might fix it, but having a number of reverts would be really helpful just to make sure; once you've got a number, try out the dev build, I think this should have finally fixed it.

Edit: tested and reproduced with ~10 or so reverts with a single pod in Froude, can't reproduce in dev build. Cool, I'll pack in any other bugfixes or little necessary things and then get 0.15.3.1 out soon.

Edited by ferram4

Alright, so v0.15.3.1 "Garabedian" is out, with a few little changes for KSP v1.0.3 compatibility, one last fix for the no drag bug, and a nice little main axis issue fix for structural panels.

Thanks for the quick response! Downloading now.

Edit: Well after a few hours of playing with too many reverts again, I am pleased to say that I did not have any issues with the drag. Job well done sir!

Edited by smartdummies
Update

Hello,

I am new both to KSP and FAR.

Could someone advice me, please, on what I am doing wrong? I have read the basic concepts on stability, however, I have this aircraft, but it is totally unstable and even on the runway it is dragged leftwards, despite being perfectly symmetrical. I cannot even lift it to the air.

http://i.imgbox.com/5vLDs53u.png

http://i.imgbox.com/kjrWNQwE.png

Thank you

Hello!

I have a question about aerodynamics. Why do many people say that speed of sound and mach number at a certain speed depends only on the air temperature? Logically it depends on density as far as I know. And density in turn depends on both temperature and pressure. Otherwise how does one explain that the air temperature fluctates both ways as we rise through the atmosphere but the sound speed constantly decreases down to no sound distribution in space?

Wikipedia also states that speed of sound does depend on pressure depth even in the water and liquids are far less compressible than gases.

Is that just an another misconception or what?

How does it currently work here in the game?

Thank you.

Logically it depends on density as far as I know.

No. Read that wikipedia article again, 2nd paragraph. On ideal gasses there is no dependency on pressure/density, on real gasses there is only a slight effect.

sound speed constantly decreases down to no sound distribution in space?

Wrong premise here.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/Comparison_US_standard_atmosphere_1962.svg

- - - Updated - - -

The "no drag bug" seems fixed for me. Good job ;-)

Then what prevents distribution of sound in space?

Ideal gases do not exist in reality do they?

For me the only sane explanation of the difference between sound speeds in the water in the air and in space is that sound requires a substance to travel in and as a consequense of that travels better in more dense substances.

That diagram shows that sound travels on the edge of space almost as well as it does at sea level.

While sound waves do not exist in space at all.

In case ideal gases would exist how would sound travel through them if their molecules do not interfere with each other by definition? How would they be different from space void in these terms?

How can that possibly be that way?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.