[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

In my view, simple test for overheating behaviour: turn on the Ignore Max Temperature cheat and monitor temperatures using KER. If parts reach a stable temperature that's reasonable physical behaviour that you can hope to address by changing your craft or your flying. If on the other hand part temperatures run away to a gazillion Kelvin that's the infamous buggy unphysical behaviour and there's no fully satisfactory way to deal with it.

Well that's funny because its shape is more appropriate for transonic planes, in terms of wave drag.

Nevermind, that's what modded engines are there for right

The heat on engines is not controlled by FAR, that is stock behavior. At the same time, the Wheesley is capable of supersonic flight, allowing planes to top out around Mach 2, but not at SL. Planes that attempt to fly much above Mach 1.2 at SL will have engine overheat issues.

Out of interest, is that something coded into the engine heat generation that it's more at higher air densities, or just a consequence of adding the heating from travelling in the atmosphere to the engine's production?

Also a part of me misses the old Wheesly nerf in FAR. It was fun making a spaceplane using that. But I guess 1.0.5 is bringing us an actual turbofan, presumably subsonic.

Out of interest, is that something coded into the engine heat generation that it's more at higher air densities, or just a consequence of adding the heating from travelling in the atmosphere to the engine's production?

There's a tempMachLimit in the engine module. Beyond this mach number, the engine produces much more heat.

Hi there. I'm having a problem, and even after two days of googling and troubleshooting, I'm stumped.

On a fresh Steam install, where the first thing I do is to open the launcher, disable 64bit, and then install FAR and all that's bundled with it (ModuleManager, ModularFlightIntegrator), FAR simply won't calculate much of anything. In the VAB/SPH, when I click the FAR icon, no calculations or simulations that I can run change any numbers; they're all 0 or NaN. When I try flying anything, I can't activate engines because they're supposedly stowed. I tried from fresh install again, with procedural engines, which did run. However, none of the craft responded to aerodynamic forces, apart from entry heating, which was purely visual. The flight data did keep track of dynamic pressure and how many ATMs were at the current altitude, but the other numbers were zero. Has anyone encountered problems like this? It's as if FAR is aware there is an atmosphere, but then isn't doing anything with the few numbers it does calculate...

I'm running on a 32bit windows 8.1 installation (I have a 64 bit CPU, but it's old enough that win8.1x64 isn't compatible with it. Apparently it lacks some architecture or something?). As mentioned previously, I made sure I was running 32 bit KSP, not that 64 bit should even be able to run...

Thanks in advance!

cantab: I certainly trust that the thermo issues are gone in 1.0.5, but the proof will be in the pudding. :)

As for turbofans...in 1.0.5, per pics, the Wheesley will be the 1.25m turbofan, counterpart to the big 2.5m turbofan. (Even in 1.0.4, it's a turbofan, just with its performance modeled on the F100 in 'dry' mode, not an airliner one). There will, however, be a real turbojet (the Juno), and an afterburning low-bypass turbofan (the Panther).

im having a strange issue now that i have 1.0.5 up and running, no contol surfaces operate. i essentially have nothing but darts now.

i have no clue where to begin looking to figure this out, so i thought i'd start here to see if anyone else is experiencing this?

edit: im a derp. modular flight integrator got pruned somehow. all fine now.

Edited by BobsYerUncle

im having a strange issue now that i have 1.0.5 up and running, no contol surfaces operate. i essentially have nothing but darts now.

i have no clue where to begin looking to figure this out, so i thought i'd start here to see if anyone else is experiencing this?

There's no reason to expect that FAR would work immediately with 1.0.5. Be patient :P

Alright, so FAR is back to working with v0.15.5.2 "Helmbold". Now, as with all KSP updates, make sure that you're only using guaranteed-compatible mods if you're going to make a bug report. Chasing down bugs that can't be fixed because they're just because of an out-of-date mod is not fun and delays other bugfixes and features.

I took a couple month break after wearing myself out on KSP (I know, I'm weak...) but when I heard about this update drop this is the first thread I had to check. Please continue your awesome work and input Ferram, you make all the difference in this game for me!

P.S. I'm pretty sure I shot you down in War Thunder a month or two ago. Was the pinnacle of my virtual aviation career. Or something.

Edited by Virtual Flyboy

- - - Updated - - -

http://imgur.com/a/FIXKk

CoL isn't displaying properly, i can get it to work randomly by spamming Raise/Lower gear. Read about a CoL update button but could not find.

1.0.5 "Helmbold". Clean install(aside from Blizzy's toolbar), not CKAN, not 64 bit.

If there's a quick fix i would love that, spent half the day losing my mind on Spaceplanes because the CoL was ....ing with me.

Edited by Rum_Royal
redundancy

Hey Ferram, question: did you change how heat will effect planes at all, or is this a symptom of the new thermal system? On my ascent and descent for space planes, the nose gets extremely hot, hot enough to the point the gauge is almost completely full on ascent and explodes on descent. Even on Mk2 based plane (all stock), the I hit the atmosphere with an AoA above 30 degrees and even above 50 km the nose instantly started glowing. It's more understandable for ascents since the nose takes the brunt of the force, but on descents it seems the heating effect is way too quick.

Hi there. I'm having a problem, and even after two days of googling and troubleshooting, I'm stumped.

On a fresh Steam install, where the first thing I do is to open the launcher, disable 64bit, and then install FAR and all that's bundled with it (ModuleManager, ModularFlightIntegrator), FAR simply won't calculate much of anything. In the VAB/SPH, when I click the FAR icon, no calculations or simulations that I can run change any numbers; they're all 0 or NaN. When I try flying anything, I can't activate engines because they're supposedly stowed. I tried from fresh install again, with procedural engines, which did run. However, none of the craft responded to aerodynamic forces, apart from entry heating, which was purely visual. The flight data did keep track of dynamic pressure and how many ATMs were at the current altitude, but the other numbers were zero. Has anyone encountered problems like this? It's as if FAR is aware there is an atmosphere, but then isn't doing anything with the few numbers it does calculate...

I'm running on a 32bit windows 8.1 installation (I have a 64 bit CPU, but it's old enough that win8.1x64 isn't compatible with it. Apparently it lacks some architecture or something?). As mentioned previously, I made sure I was running 32 bit KSP, not that 64 bit should even be able to run...

Thanks in advance!

Welp, I'm getting the same exact problem, with only minor changes in Helmbold. Now the angle of attack analysis works, but the calculations in the next page of the FAR menu result in all the text and images being squished to the top left corner. No drag or lift or anything is applied while in flight, and I can't activate engines because they're all 'stowed', and air intakes are 'occluded'. Furthermore, I'm getting the same bug on my laptop, which runs Vistax64 (I know.), again making sure I'm running 32 bit KSP. Can anyone shed some light on this?

There is talk of lifting bodies no longer working in stock KSP - does anyone know something about that and whether FAR does it right still?

Haven't tried it, but given FAR turns stock aero off completely and there's been very little change to the aero side of FAR, I see no reason things won't still be the same. The aircraft I've tested ( somewhat extreme tuned dogfighter drones ) have been performing much the same. I'lll try building something close to a pure lifting body & see, but I don't really have a frame of reference for comparison...

Edit: knocked something up, seems to work fine for something I threw together in under a minute.

22301865234_6bd6741b66_c.jpg

Edited by Van Disaster

- - - Updated - - -

http://imgur.com/a/FIXKk

CoL isn't displaying properly, i can get it to work randomly by spamming Raise/Lower gear. Read about a CoL update button but could not find.

1.0.5 "Helmbold". Clean install(aside from Blizzy's toolbar), not CKAN, not 64 bit.

If there's a quick fix i would love that, spent half the day losing my mind on Spaceplanes because the CoL was ....ing with me.

Do not look at CoL they will say, look at the stability derivates! Anyhow look like that if you add control surface and open the setting menu ( of said control surface ) the CoL magical go back in position after a while...who know

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.