Study Suggests Fundamental Laws of Nature Change Throughout the Universe

so this kind of blows the fine tuned universe out of the water, we just happen to live in a universe and time where life is possible.
would this possibly also be an explaination for the fermi paradox? we are just realy realy realy lucky and inteligent life cannot exist elsewhere
Edited by FreeThinker

*Sees Anton's video posted by OP*

Ah, a fellow man of culture :)

Now we need bigger telescopes of all kinds to precisely detect and measure those deviations from what we thought is uniformity. It is critical we pay attention to this.

Maybe the changes are brought by the "pressure" (for a lack of a better term) exerted on our "dimensional bubble" by other "bubbles" in the "foam" of Multiverse?

Pr maybe they are an effect of local ripples or bumps in the curvature of spacetime?

That title was too clickbaity for me to watch the vid when I first saw it.

If Earth had all the ingradients to create life 4 billion years ago (which it totally did, so these elements must've been created way earlier) and the physics changes over time then it's not a solution to the Fermi Paradox. If an alien race had a head start of 1 billion years then they could've easily been here by now*. Maybe they got here and we simply didn't check well enough**. So I doubt these constants change over time. When it comes to my opinion, I simply think our space telescopes are kind of s**t when it comes to searching exoplanets with life. Life is very likely to be out there and finding it is a matter of time.

However, if the universe has special bubbles then that's just scary. It might mean that one of those is coming our way and we will just dissolve without even knowing.

Anyway, I really don't think it's true. It might be some measurement artifact. Nature doesn't like making special places. People do like flashy headlines though.

*I also believe there isn't much reason to colonize the entire galaxy and the whole Kardashev scale is very arbitrary and doesn't take many things into account, such as: civilizations that could use fusion to harness as much power as if they would by covering the entire planet in solar panels.

**Alien probes might actually be in the solar system. I really like this idea.

Edit 38472: I'm done editing this post.

Edited by Wjolcz

2 hours ago, Wjolcz said:

Nature doesn't like making special places

As far as we know, anyway.

The cosmological principle makes more sense that the idea that we are somehow in a special and privileged situation. Like all science, it is subject to being overturned with enough contrary data, but the whole history of science suggests that the evidence should have to be pretty solid.

(I will admit to not having bothered to watch the video, because I've seen enough click-bait youtube in my time.)

Edited by mikegarrison

It is not necessarily about Fermi paradox, but rather answering the question why matter exists at all. If spacetime itself is not uniform, why would the matter distribution be? Indeed, background radiation is not uniform, and energy and matter distributions in the universe are not unifrom. How this came to be so is a good question, and I think it actually makes less sense for spacetime to be uniform than not. Perhaps there were stochastic fluctuations in the very fabric of the early universe, and all other non-uniformities stem from that.

2 hours ago, Wjolcz said:

Anyway, I really don't think it's true. It might be some measurement artifact. Nature doesn't like making special places. People do like flashy headlines though.

*I also believe there isn't much reason to colonize the entire galaxy and the whole Kardashev scale is very arbitrary and doesn't take many things into account, such as: civilizations that could use fusion to harness as much power as if they would by covering the entire planet in solar panels.

The researchers have made sure to check if it’s a measurement issue - it could still be but it must be a high confidence level for them to publish. From what I’ve read they’ve also seen corroboration from other researchers studying radiation emissions from specific phenomena in the distant universe.

The Kardashev Scale is just an energy scale for convenience - a Type I civilization may not even use solar power but its energy use is large enough that it could affect planetary processes. It’s really not useful beyond classifying the energy output of distant civilizations, with the idea that higher energy civilizations can have capabilities that vastly exceed our own such as advanced climate engineering, weather control, and the like for Type I - interstellar travel, planetary engineering, star lifting, and so on for Type II - and it’s impossible to tell what a Type III could really do.

10 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

Indeed, background radiation is not uniform, and energy and matter distributions in the universe are not unifrom.

They aren't? When did that change? Must've been Tuesday, or something.

1 hour ago, Wjolcz said:

They aren't? When did that change? Must've been Tuesday, or something.

Well, it depends on the scale. The energy and matter distributions in my room are not uniform. We do know that the distribution of galaxies seems to be "clumpy". But AFAIK, the prevailing opinion is still that over a large enough area of integration, the universe is probably uniform.

https://www.esa.int/Science_Exploration/Space_Science/Rethinking_cosmology_Universe_expansion_may_not_be_uniform

“The findings are really interesting but the sample included in the study is still relatively small to draw such profound conclusions,” says René Laureijs, Euclid project scientist at ESA. “This is the best one could do with the available data, but if we were to really re-think the widely accepted cosmological model, we would need more data.”

And Euclid might do exactly that. The spacecraft, to be launched in 2022, might not only find evidence that dark energy is really stretching the Universe unevenly in different directions, it will also enable the scientists to gather more data on the properties of a large amount of galaxy clusters, which might support or disprove the current findings.

Edited by mikegarrison

I always had a feeling that we're flushed down through a toilet pipe, and now here is a scientific proof of that.
We're moving in a 1d flow from the sinkhole to the pipes joint.

I believe, the "Kardashev Scale" is useless harmful nonsense exactly like if a caveman classifies civilisations by their usage of stones.

"Civ Type 1 - they use a handful of stones, Type 2 - a heap of stones, Type 3 - that mountain of stones, Type 4 - a lot of stones".

We can manufacture billions of stoneaxes of excellent quality with help of the modern technologies. Are we doing this?

Or by the size of campfire.

"Civ Type 1 - a small campfire like ours, Type 2 - a whole burning tree, Type 3 - a burning forest, Type 4 - the burning forest and the sun"

Why should a developed civilisation burn all forest just because they can?

A developed civilization could manage great amounts of matter and energy once per eon, but why must it do this daily?

The farther - the more Lovecraft appears to be right. Fhtagn.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.