My theory of how the Mun got there

aceassasin

4.5 BYA the kerbol system was formed with large chunks of debris, this would eventually coalesse to form the planets: Moho,Eve,Kerbin,Duna, and Jool. However another body was also forming the Dwarf Planet known as the Mun. However this was no ordinary dwarf planet for early in its developement the Mun formed a thick atmosphere with lakes,oceans,rivers,and possibly inteligent life(Hint: Munoliths). One day the Mun passed very close to the young kerbin within 6,000 kilometers of its surface during this capture it is believed that the Mun may have had a smaller Mun thrown off during this capture. Eventually the Mun settled into its 11,400 kilometer orbit and all was well until 5.2 MYA it is believed Kerbol suffered a massive Solar Flare that caused mass extinctions on Kerbin and Wiping the Mun clean of its atmosphere. Now the Mun is a dead rock with reminders of what it once was these include: Arches, Canyons, and River deltas.

Not to rain on your parade and all, but I'm afraid it won't work. Extensive cratering like the Moon and Mun have took place before and up to 600MYA. If Mun had an atmosphere then, most of those impactors would have burned up before hitting the surface and making craters, and the craters the others formed would have been eroded away by wind and water (which is why earth has so few craters). Also, there is no Easter Bunny. :(

Edited by Vanamonde

Why couldn't he just say that? It sounds like someone has invented another time system for KSP. Primarily because the Star Wars years are BBY and ABY.

Probably because BYA and MYA are almost universally-understood acronyms among scientists.

Though they sometimes use GYA instead of BYA (for gigayears ago).

Seems like it was an entirely appropriate abbreviation, the user should have just put a legend/key at the end to avoid confusion.

On topic: That seems like quite a nice theory about the origin on the Mun. In addition to the Solar Flare it could be theorised that not long after being captured by Kerbin it's molten iron core cooled down, causing the magnetic field to disappear and increased the rate of the loss of the atmosphere.

One problem though; how would such a small planet with such a low gravity be able to have an atmosphere in the first place? :P

Seems like it was an entirely appropriate abbreviation, the user should have just put a legend/key at the end to avoid confusion.

On topic: That seems like quite a nice theory about the origin on the Mun. In addition to the Solar Flare it could be theorised that not long after being captured by Kerbin it's molten iron core cooled down, causing the magnetic field to disappear and increased the rate of the loss of the atmosphere.

One problem though; how would such a small planet with such a low gravity be able to have an atmosphere in the first place? :P

It's possible it could be a thin atmosphere, only needed to keep the darkness of space from killing the life.

The reason we have the Mun is because the Kerbals are so bad at getting their rockets back. Over billions of years the rocket derbis began to compact together and crush down into the Mun. Not the proudest achievement for Kerbalkind...

I'm actually getting pretty interested in this thread.

Secondly, I could imagine it going a little something like this:

Ground Control: We've lost a ship in the outer reaches of Kerbins orbit!

President: We will save those crew with another ship!

Ground Control: The rescue ship has been lost in the same area!

President: We will rescue those ships!

And so on

Sounds like a plausible mainstream theory which I would be inclined to believe, except some of my astronauts have reported seeing large-scale patterns on the surface from orbit when the sun is at a particular angle that they believe are not natural formations. Bobdred believes he saw "a story of the exodus of an ancient alien race", and "a cryptic solar system map" that "together covered 1/2 the planet", and Jeb said he saw a "bird that could also be an arrow, or maybe a rocket" and a "bloke's face" at the edges of one of the arch craters.

Before settling on your story I want to investigate these sites further to figure out whether they have any significance, or whether to fire those two for smoking space crack. (that Bobdred has always struck me as a bad influence)

So far we've landed on the arrow-looking thing to see if it was pointing at a munolith location but found nothing.. :(

Edited by John F. Kerman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.