Coming Back To KSP After almost 5 years

JackleOfSparta

Hey everyone, I have been playing ksp since the update where minmus and space planes where added (0.15 I think?). I took a long break from the game but now I am back and ready to go all out in a "realistic career mode"

Edited by JackleOfSparta

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think you need to reduce your wingspan for your planes, but increase your thrust- a single SRB on the back throttled back to about 30 percent with a pair of Wheesley jet engines either side should be enough to get you up to the required altitude at least once per flight; you don’t need that many air intakes, just one radial intake per engine is usually enough and the rest will add parts, mass and drag; making narrower but longer wings (more front to back span and less outward span) will help with stability and prevent the ‘flappy plane’ issues. I also suggest that you leave the Juno jets behind, they’re underpowered and inefficient, and you’re better off using 2 Wheesleys instead.

You should probably take a look at how you’re setting up your parachutes and adjust the minimum pressure values for your main chutes to around 0.6, which will make them open at an altitude where your drogues (or just air drag) have slowed the pod down enough for the mains to survive. That removes the risk of forgetting to trigger the chutes in the first place as you can stage them even while in space and they’ll only open once the pressure threshold has been reached.

I’m enjoying this series so far, keep it coming!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.