[Completed] JNSQ Space Race 2: Two Race, Two Space

1 minute ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Again- it's all about GAME time, not real time. I've only done a lot so far because it's a weekend and I have no life it's still mostly lockdown here (I think). I won't do nearly as much for the next few days because I'll be working.

Yeah, we know. But the problem is, you're ahead in Game time too!

Advanced Audacious Aerospace Research Group: Station shenannigans!

WrdBgRz.png

After the Space Station 2 debacle, AAARG took another look at the KADB parts catalogue and discovered that there was in fact a larger and more powerful vacuum-rated cryo engine available- the 'Ulysses', with more than double the thrust and a better TWR than the 'Pavonis' used in the aborted Space Station 2 mission at a cost of slightly lower ISP. While we were there, we also found the 'Fuji' cryo launch engine and decided to use that on the first stage. It's our first ever all-methalox launch rocket, and after today's showings it looks like it's here to stay.

But first, a little update on Mun Orbiter 2, which successfully re-entered and splashed down. Frodo decided that this was too boring for him, so he bailed out at 200 metres and parachuted to the surface himself. Our 100% Kerbal return rate continues!

Space Station 3 was launched with Val, Siesy and Dunler aboard, made orbit and then performed a transfer burn to the Mun; orbital capture is expected in around 4 1/2 days. Space Station 4 (identical design to 3) was launched with Jennie, Nathanael and Buzz aboard- the Board were surprised to learn that Jennie is actually male- and after making LKO performed a (rather poor quality) transfer burn towards Minmus. Some course correction later, it's on course and will arrive at Minmus to capture into orbit in a little under 9 days' time.

Spoiler

yXWKbZb.png

krJ1Knx.png

sQUMick.pngwgQN2Dn.png

v7z9uiU.png

The Space Station 3/4 design is capable of returning to Kerbin from a Mun or Minmus orbit, with the command pod featuring the same deorbiting motors as Space Station 2, so it should be pretty simple to return the crews to Kerbin or just leave them in orbit to board the future Mun and Minmus surface bases before those make their descents.

Full album is here: https://imgur.com/a/ornpKZh

AAARG's space program has been running for 10 days, 8 hours and 40 minutes. Space stations are en route to Mun and Minmus, the two crewed Minmus missions are en route to Kerbin and plans are being finalised for the Jool probe as the transfer window is due to open soon.

(OOC: As you can see from the Real Time Clock on those screenshots, it's now after 11pm here and I have work tomorrow, so this is the last update from me for today. I won't be back on KSP until tomorrow evening, so you have a chance to catch up a bit :wink:)

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

Advanced Audacious Aerospace Research Group: All your base are belong to us!

WrdBgRz.png

Today, it's all about the base! Talks with Post-Kerbin Mining are still ongoing, but they did give us some engines on a try-before-you-buy basis and we put them to use creating a rocket with more than enough delta-V to put our bases on the Mun and Minmus- in fact, it was enough to land on either moon and then come back again! But instead of doing that, we burnt lots more fuel than necessary to get faster than usual transfers, because it's a RACE!

Frodo flew in Space Base 1 to the Mun and new hire Matsted flew in Space Base 2 to Minmus. The new NFLV engines performed admirably and will definitely be used again in the near future (sorry).

Spoiler

rC1CEZk.png

oQY9QPi.png

KXM3oov.png

UPfgcyg.png

6jXsJDT.png

fupJAfl.png

Matsted found himself on a collision course with a Minmus mountain, but a short evasive burn dodged that with ease and the landing went without a hitch. Frodo's landing was utterly unremarkable and both planted their flags for the obligatory photo shoots with no issues. We still haven't told then that Matsted can't get back to Kerbin, and Frodo can't even get back off the Mun!

Two major milestones were reached today:

• First base on the Mun: Frodo Kerman in Space Base 1, achieved after 13 days, 3 hours and 31 minutes. :rep:
  • First base on Minmus: Matsted Kerman in Space Base 2, achieved after 14 days, 11 hours and 48 minutes. :rep:

Full album is here: https://imgur.com/a/hAteSQr

AAARG's space program has been running for 14 days, 11 hours and 48 minutes. Bases are now in place on both the Mun and Minmus, with stations due to follow in a few days (they were launched first, but took the more traditional max-efficiency route so are going slower) as well as the two Minmus missions, orbiter and lander, which are due to return to Kerbin soon as well. Next up- the Jool probe!

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

1 minute ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

The one that you said about the rocket trying to:

make the koviet union sneeze into 15 countries

the game is trying to

not a rocket

it now crashes before i get into the main menu

Edited by Kraken that doesn't exist

Just now, GuessingEveryDay said:

Ah. What mods do you have?

apart from the mods that come with jnsq and kopernicus i have:

KRE

Luciole

Near Future Props

Restock and Restock+

X-20 Moroz

and that is the end i guess

i had station expansion parts but deleted that

ksp is back for me so lemme sing the koviet national anthem

Союз нерушимый республик свободных Сплотила навеки Великая Русь

Да здравствует созданный волей народов Единый, могучий Советский Союз

Славься, Отечество наше свободное Дружбы народов надёжный оплот!

Партия Ленина - сила народная Нас к торжеству коммунизма ведёт

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.