BobCat Ind. - Colonization, exploring and research vehicle

BobCat

• 2 weeks later...

Would be nice to see you do a complete set along with a interplanetary ship all with the same theme.

Any chance of putting these up so we can have a mess about and give some input?

Also a Tanker trailer would be nice, I don't know if its possible to have it use modular fuel system so you can decide what fuel it carries over a trailer with tanks on it.

Would be nice to see these have their own sleek and sexy animated retractable parts for drilling etc.

Also perhaps widening the wheelbase for stability and making a flat bed for a KAS crane.

Caterpillar tracks maybe?

Edited by Hawkstorm

Hmm

Personally I don't see the reason to decouple the trailers if your mining other than a excuse to use KAS if you understand what I mean, the legs and the solar panels sticking out kinda spoils the look of things for me, perhaps make a RTG Generator trailer to perform that function or have the command sections rear perform that function.

Overall I think the model could use some upscaling width wise to give a larger and wider wheelbase.

As far as the landing legs go you could remove them entirely with caterpillar tracks, whereby the tracks are in a triangle and they rotate on the center axis so the tracks themselves lift the vehical and the brakes stop the vehical moving, as well as looking a lot better it would also be damn cool. :)

Wheels are so yesterday! ROFL

As far as a RAT pod to deploy the sections it needs to be able to be opened and shut in the VAB/SPH I think like the B9 does something similar I think, assembly is a rip your hair out affair otherwise.

Other than that looking good.

Edited by Hawkstorm

I am using Bobcats vehicles and H.O.M.E in my Duna colony. The Hub tube dock fine as can be seen here with 6 H.O.M.E bases interconnected and docked as one unit. Kethane drilling unit fills the blue&orange fuel tanks via KAS connected pipes

F05677966250329FD5792972E9675DF8CC8BF5B3

Edited by Azazael

Personally I don't see the reason to decouple the trailers if your mining other than a excuse to use KAS if you understand what I mean, the legs and the solar panels sticking out kinda spoils the look of things for me, perhaps make a RTG Generator trailer to perform that function or have the command sections rear perform that function.

Or that by decoupling/undocking them you can deploy the trailers and then use the front command trailer to go back to the main base and get more trailers to deploy, levelling a long trailer for drilling is much more difficult than a short one, it's how you'd do it in real life, there's multiple reasons. Don't knock his example just because you can't think of a reason.

Overall I think the model could use some upscaling width wise to give a larger and wider wheelbase.

And how do you propose to get it to wherever? A matter transporter?

As far as the landing legs go you could remove them entirely with caterpillar tracks, whereby the tracks are in a triangle and they rotate on the center axis so the tracks themselves lift the vehical and the brakes stop the vehical moving, as well as looking a lot better it would also be damn cool. :)

Still doesn't solve levelling the sections once you get them in position. Also tracks are heavy and complex, that makes them a liability when you're tens of thousands of kilometers from home. There's a good reason there's never been a tracked vehicle in space.

Edited by CAPFlyer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.