How to spot magic asteroids

The other day I was wanting to build an asteroid base. I was thinking that a regular, dull gray asteroid would be to boring. It would be best to find a MAGIC ASTEROID!

But, I could not find anything, anywhere that could tell me if any asteroid was magic!

So I had to alt-f12 kerbals to each asteroid to see if any where magic.

Is there a better way to seek out these rare and elusive behemoths?

My understanding is that asteroids aren't generated until you enter physics range, i.e., about 2.2 km. So you can save just before encountering an asteroid and reload until you get a magic version. I believe the occurrence rate is about 1 in 20.

If I remember correctly, the code for making it magic is hiding in a shader, and it's "random" based on some attribute of the PotatoRoid part (maybe the uid)?  So if I was going to go save file hacking, I would try adding one to that value until it becomes magic.

38 minutes ago, nightingale said:

If I remember correctly, the code for making it magic is hiding in a shader, and it's "random" based on some attribute of the PotatoRoid part (maybe the uid)?  So if I was going to go save file hacking, I would try adding one to that value until it becomes magic.

Thanks!

I think I will probably go with the GrayStillplays approach-add a bunch of zeros until something happens.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.