How do I know what biome I am gonna land?

I've started a new game and just landed on both mun and minmus, but now in order to advance in the game, I need more science, and I can get science faster by landing or travelling to every different biome from mun/minmus.

However, I have no idea on where is each biome, and can't use SCANsat (my game takes too long to load when I use it)

Hi Neil Karmstrong. This is a very good question when trying to squeeze all the science you can! My answer to you varies on what your playing KSP on. If PC or computer install a mod which tells you what biome you’re over. You could also use the Biome Scnning thing and it tells which Biome your in when you are close enough. Or just use on of the science experiment and it will say : Recording done on (Biome). On Console jus slap on a Biome scanner used to scanning biomes (not the resource ones though that you put on orbital satilite used to ore mapping).

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks for the like.

My go to for this task is Kerbal Engineer Redux - under the tab of "Surface" you can select it to display what biome you're over as well as "Impact Biome" if you have a suborbital trajectory. More importantly I find it critical to give what is essential information such as slope of the terrain you're approaching and the "Impact marker" is highly useful.

If you're hostile to mods, there's always the maps that are published for each body and its biomes - you'll have to match land structures / craters and plan on where you'd like to plant it... er, I mean, land!

1 hour ago, Neil Kermstrong said:

and can't use SCANsat (my game takes too long to load when I use it)

If all you want is the biome map you could try this one instead:

There is also quite a few info mods that tell your "impact biome": KER, Mechjeb, Trajectories...

But, even if all that fails, you may still google for KSP Biome Maps and try to figure out where it is in game.

Edit:basically what @Wobbly Av8r said, just a couple minutes ago.

Edited by Spricigo

46 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

All these mod and external map suggestions and not one mention that with an OKTO2 and Kerbnet you can see the biomes in the stock game.

well, you don't need to use science points to unlock an external map and it works just fine. :P 

Also, i forget about kerbnet. :blush:

3 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

All these mod and external map suggestions and not one mention that with an OKTO2 and Kerbnet you can see the biomes in the stock game.

LOL! Yeah - as I was posting I was pretty sure I'd seen in somewhere in the stock game but couldn't remember where since I gave up using it for the ease and robustness of KER telemetry.

You can: enable the biome display in the cheats menu which will show the biomes in map view; use KerbNet with the more advanced probe cores (OKTO2, HECS2, RoveMate and possibly the RGUs too); use the surface resource sensor or the narrow-band scanner; or a variety of mods which will tell you which biome you’re in/over or where you’re going to land.
Or you could build rovers instead of ordinary landers to be able to drive between different biomes after landing.

45 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Or you could build rovers instead of ordinary landers to be able to drive between different biomes after landing.

That was exactly my idea, but I wanted to land it somewhere between 2 biomes (mainly because landing in a mun crater or in the middle of a big biome isn't cool lol)

Everyone, thanks for help and tips anyway, in my opinion the most helpful one was to use Kerbnet, since it doesn't need modding and probes can do it easily

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.