Does KSP really have spyware in it?

DoctorDavinci

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

Then you would know this is a general EULA and many games have something similar. Have you ever read your agreement with your cell phone company? That is unacceptable. Or what about Amazon? Hell, what about google? 

two wrongs don't make a right. One is a service one is a videogame. I know your going to say a video game is a service but that's not what I mean.

So is the KSP app collecting all of this info, like social secuirty and so on by actively sweeping your computer?  Or is this stuff in the EULA because they use it on other games with online and in app purchases? In such a case, they have to put it in the EULA that they will be collecting your information because you're giving it to them when you buy something.  It's the same as when you link one of your social media profiles to one of their applications or websites, they will be collecting data there, and it has to go in the EULA.  I find it hard to believe that they are going to actively sweep your PC and collect your data.

Edited by AngryBadger

2 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

two wrongs don't make a right. One is a service one is a videogame. I know your going to say a video game is a service but that's not what I mean.

What? Explain then, because data collection is data collection. One is ok but not the other?

Edited by Galileo

6 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Then you would know this is a general EULA and many games have something similar. Have you ever read your agreement with your cell phone company? That is unacceptable. Or what about Amazon? Hell, what about google? 

Funny you should mention the total lack of apps on my phone. (those EULAs are also unacceptable) or that I don't use amazon or Google apps.

But online services do have a legitimate need for some of that.

KSP is a stand-alone game. They do not need (and will not get) access to my personal information. 

Edited by Brainlord Mesomorph

We've established that TT technically CAN harvest data, but is there any type of code in the game that does that? I'm pretty sure I didn't have to sign a new EULA, so data harvesting without my entering any data into the game (and by extension, they can only use data from the game, unless I didn't read the EULA correctly) would be considered malware, and they would have to remove the data harvesting codes from the game or face legal reprecussions. (That would be sweeping my computer from the KSP as I haven't bought anything from TT and will never get anything else, so it would have to be some kind of built in spider or other bot, which I think is illegal, unless I'm mistaken)

Edited by TheMadKraken2297

What? Explain then, because data collection is data collection. One is ok but not the other?

I mean data collection is nessiacy in a bank account because you know ITS A BANK ACCOUNT a video game needing my social security number is TOO MUCH because they don't need it.

6 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

I mean data collection is nessiacy in a bank account because you know ITS A BANK ACCOUNT a video game needing my social security number is TOO MUCH because they don't need it.

Well it has already been established that this is not the type of data that they are collecting so I fail to understand what your social security number has to do with it

Just now, Cheif Operations Director said:

I didn’t even bring up a bank account. Want to twist it some more? I’m all ears.

3 minutes ago, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

Funny you should mention the total lack of apps on my phone. (those EULAs are also unacceptable) or that I don't use amazon or Google apps.

But online services do have a legitimate need for some of that.

KSP is a stand-alone game. They do not need (and will not get) access to my personal information. 

Of course you wouldn’t use the most used apps on the planet... why would you? Anyway, there isn’t much use segueing here if your mind is made up.

Just now, DoctorDavinci said:

Well it has already been established that this is not the type of data that they are collecting so I fail to understand what your social security number has to do with it

They can collect information such as your bank account which has your social security number

They can collect information such as your bank account which has your social security number

Sure if you ever want to purchase something from them online again, I assume they will need some bank info, just saying.probably includes a billing address...

Edited by Galileo

Just now, Galileo said:

Sure if you ever want to purchase something from them online again, I assume they will need some bank info, just saying.

This is the thing I don't quite understand. I purchased KSP via Steam. Steam has all my financial details. Would Steam pass them onto KSP if requested. I wouldn't have thought so.

Sure if you ever want to purchase something from them online again, I assume they will need some bank info, just saying.

However outside of the KSPStore or Steam, I don't see how this is necessary. Kinda like needing my birthday to eat a loaf of bread.

Just now, TheMadKraken2297 said:

The can, but is it possible that there is a spider or other data mining tool built in to KSP? We know they legally can, but do they have the means to?

Can a country of farmers build a nuke... Yes north korea. Of course a multi million dollar corporation can do coding.

Not if you have a steam gift card.

Sure, another way to pay is fine.. that’s up to you. Not everyone has access to those...

2 minutes ago, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

But I'm not buying anything from them. And yet they still want my bank info. 

That's fine. 

Not unless you want something...how can they get it unless you give it to them?

Edited by Galileo

Well if we're gonna argue about the EULA, lets go do that in that thread kids.  There's enough spam being thrown around, let's try to keep it contained.  This thread is about what KSP is actually sending out to Squad/TT, not what you have agreed to let them do. 

2 minutes ago, Galileo said:

They don't need this information while I'm driving my rover around Duna. That information belongs to stores and webpages I'm actively spending money on.

12 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

So this thread isn't about the EULA ... It is concerning the data that IS being sent back to T2/Squad without explicit knowledge of what said data is

9 minutes ago, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

But I'm not buying anything from them. And yet they still want my bank info. 

That's fine. 

We've established what sort of data is being sent back and it has nothing to do with anything except for KSP data itself as far as has been discovered ... So where does your bank account info come into it?

8 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Well if we're gonna argue about the EULA, lets go do that in that thread kids.  There's enough spam being thrown around, let's try to keep it contained.  This thread is about what KSP is actually sending out to Squad/TT, not what you have agreed to let them do. 

^^^^THIS

Edited by DoctorDavinci

1 minute ago, DoctorDavinci said:

So this thread isn't about the EULA ... It is concerning the data that IS being sent back to T2/Squad without explicit knowledge of what said data is

We've established what sort of data is being sent back and it has nothing to do with anything except for KSP data itself ... So where does your bank account info come into it?

^^^^THIS

We have discovered what they are sending at the present time. Although it probroly wont change they have the RIGHT to take all of it if they want.

9 minutes ago, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

ITS IN THE EULA!

This thread isn't about the EULA

8 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

We have discovered what they are sending at the present time. Although it probroly wont change they have the RIGHT to take all of it if they want.

Perhaps, but this is not the purpose of this thread ... Go discuss the EULA in the EULA thread as conflating the two is creating more of a disturbance in the force than anything productive

Edited by DoctorDavinci

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.