how do I make a proper helicopeter

Moved to Gameplay Questions & Tutorials.

Can you post some pictures of what your helicopter looked like? It'd be helpful for everyone to see what you designed.

You can upload the pictures to imgur.com, then you need to copy the image location and paste it here. I think @Geonovast has a tutorial for inserting pictures?

6 hours ago, FELIXOFFCIAL said:

about a month ago i tried making a helicopter to save my wrecked ssto in the dessert i tried making one but it keeps on just spinning uncontrollably

any tips :) 

I wrote this guide a while back, it’s slightly out of date now since stock rotor blades and cyclic/collective control were introduced, but the general principles hold and the designs work, it’s just somewhat easier to make them now with the new parts. I think you ought to be able to build a working helicopter with that.

One thing that’s much easier now is to make a traditional single main rotor/tail rotor copter, the cyclic/collective controls allow that. I would still strongly recommend that you make your first one a coaxial, they’re much easier.

2 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

I wrote this guide a while back, it’s slightly out of date now since stock rotor blades and cyclic/collective control were introduced, but the general principles hold and the designs work, it’s just somewhat easier to make them now with the new parts. I think you ought to be able to build a working helicopter with that.

One thing that’s much easier now is to make a traditional single main rotor/tail rotor copter, the cyclic/collective controls allow that. I would still strongly recommend that you make your first one a coaxial, they’re much easier.

ok lemme try it thanks!

7 hours ago, Dman979 said:

Moved to Gameplay Questions & Tutorials.

Can you post some pictures of what your helicopter looked like? It'd be helpful for everyone to see what you designed.

You can upload the pictures to imgur.com, then you need to copy the image location and paste it here. I think @Geonovast has a tutorial for inserting pictures?

sdfnavt.png

It ought to be possible to make that design work, but it will certainly require a lot of tuning and you need to understand how the (aero)dynamics of a helicopter work. They are just about the hardest and most complicated type of craft you can build and fly in KSP -- VTOL jet or rocket planes are easy by comparison. 

But, again, contra-rotating twin rotor is the easiest variant, you can make the coaxial or not. That way the torque balances out and you only have to worry about... uh, everything else, really. 

6 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

It ought to be possible to make that design work, but it will certainly require a lot of tuning and you need to understand how the (aero)dynamics of a helicopter work. They are just about the hardest and most complicated type of craft you can build and fly in KSP -- VTOL jet or rocket planes are easy by comparison. 

But, again, contra-rotating twin rotor is the easiest variant, you can make the coaxial or not. That way the torque balances out and you only have to worry about... uh, everything else, really. 

ok lemme see it

and just incase heres a pic of the copter sdfnavt.png

19 minutes ago, FELIXOFFCIAL said:

and just incase heres a pic of the copter 

If You want make it easier two counterrotating blades top of each other make a good starter with controls and aerodynamics in KSP.

Some reaction wheels helps too. Just because it is game about rockets and aerodynamics is no more then included.

For howering very low ground effect mod halps too (it makes aerodynamics more reasonable).

Edited by vv3k70r

12 hours ago, Echo__3 said:

There are several different kinds of helicopters. It sounds like you need a heavy lifting design.

I might use it but I just need a simple one to help my stranded kerbals thanks any ways! :)

Edited by FELIXOFFCIAL
miss spell

17 hours ago, vv3k70r said:

If You want make it easier two counterrotating blades top of each other make a good starter with controls and aerodynamics in KSP.

Some reaction wheels helps too. Just because it is game about rockets and aerodynamics is no more then included.

For howering very low ground effect mod halps too (it makes aerodynamics more reasonable).

Ok just one question how to I get maximum control of my reaction wheels  (where is the most optimum place to put them) 

4 hours ago, FELIXOFFCIAL said:

Ok just one question how to I get maximum control of my reaction wheels  (where is the most optimum place to put them) 

It play no important role in the game, just put them and they will do the job. You can do even wiothout them, but it will need more tuning.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.