Kerbin Comm Network in Career mode

Should I create a Comm Network around Kerbin?
Since I can see but not use other launch sites and they work as relays meaning I have signal almost all around Kerbin. Although I would like to disable them but there is no such option.

And what about geostationary triangle orbit? I've seen Scott Manley's video but I cannot understand when and how he sets the sats in the different positions apart.
I understand that I have to put my ship carrying all 3 sats in geostationary orbit as in video 2868.75K then I don't understand what to do with 2nd and 3d sat. I have to reduce periapsis to 1227? And circularize back? when?
According to KSP wiki for other planets and sun I need to have at least 1 equatorial and 1 polar orbit. Should I do this in Kerbin also?

Edited by alphaprior

5 minutes ago, alphaprior said:

Although I would like to disable them but there is no such option

There is:

Kerbal-Space-Program-2021-02-11-15-57-39

12 minutes ago, alphaprior said:

And what about geostationary triangle orbit? I've seen Scott Manley's video but I cannot understand when and how he sets the sats in the different positions apart.

Doesn't have to be a geostationary obit, no extra benefits from that. In general, how to set up:

15 minutes ago, alphaprior said:

I have to reduce periapsis to 1227? And circularize back? when?

Should be covered in that video as well, iirc.

16 minutes ago, alphaprior said:

According to KSP wiki for other planets and sun I need to have at least 1 equatorial and 1 polar orbit. Should I do this in Kerbin also?

I usually follow this guide here (more or less):

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:Setting_up_a_CommNet_system

It's up to you really. 3 sats separated equally provide connection 99% of time regardless of other spacecraft position in space.

I put two, on opposite sides of the orbit, and one polar. Their position will change a bit anyway. But I don't really go for geostationary, even though I try to hit that 2868km, mine are geosynchronous. With orbital period equal to rotation of the body.

But you will need more commsats once you travel further than Kerbin. If you land on side of Duna that's not visible from Kerbin, it's better to have a sat in orbit there so you don't lose connection every few hours.

Edited by The Aziz

30 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

Doesn't have to be a geostationary obit, no extra benefits from that. In general, how to set up:

Should be covered in that video as well, iirc.

I usually follow this guide here (more or less):

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:Setting_up_a_CommNet_system

Thanx! Setting worked stations did not dissapear but at least they don't have a signal anymore.

And video is very similar to Scott Manley's tutorial but I got it. First I get into an elliptical orbit 2868-1227 then I release a sat at AP in every orbit, and raise PE to 2868.
I want to use geostationary orbit because why not? I could set any orbit but this is cool and realistic. Maybe in KSP2 will be essential untill then...

33 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

It's up to you really. 3 sats separated equally provide connection 99% of time regardless of other spacecraft position in space.

I put two, on opposite sides of the orbit, and one polar. Their position will change a bit anyway. But I don't really go for geostationary, even though I try to hit that 2868km, mine are geosynchronous. With orbital period equal to rotation of the body.

But you will need more commsats once you travel further than Kerbin. If you land on side of Duna that's not visible from Kerbin, it's better to have a sat in orbit there so you don't lose connection every few hours.

This is my 2nd career game so I intend to carry at least 3 sats on every planetary mission.

1 hour ago, Curveball Anders said:

and even for consoles

Yepp :) 

2 hours ago, alphaprior said:

First I get into an elliptical orbit 2868-1227 then I release a sat at AP in every orbit, and raise PE to 2868.

I usually start with a circular orbit, deploy a relay satellite, and immediately raise the Ap as per the calculation. Switch to the just deployed satellite and fine tune the orbital period as precise as possible, the time is important here, doesn't matter is the Ap/Pe is a bit off from what is planned. Next, switching back to the carrier rocket, warp to Pe, circularize, then deploy the next satellite.  And so forth.

Edited by VoidSquid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.