Minimum Viable Population (MVP)

Lo.M

8 minutes ago, Lo.M said:

Only with that number would genetics problems probably happen.

Given that the Kerbals all seem to be clones, I would assume that they would be fine.

However given that in my headcanon they aren't clones, I don't know? I think kerbals don't even have genes as their only traits are the courage, stupidity, occupation, and BadS-ery.

3 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

I can't imagine the game will go into that much detail with when and how Kerbals can reproduce.

It doesn't have to be that realistic, but only 2 kerbals are enough to create a colony gives me a little discomfort when it comes to realism.

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Oh no, all my Kerbals are going to have 100% stupidity, what will I do?

100% stupidity, they would be less efficient in their jobs, they would die sooner.

Edited by Lo.M

So far the traits only affect their reactions, we don't know about anything else.

Also, we know that many Kerbals will have to be brought in before they start reproducing (the mysterious Boom events related to discoveries IIRC) so I wouldn't worry about variety.

Edited by The Aziz

1 minute ago, The Aziz said:

Also, we know that many Kerbals will have to be brought in before they start reproducing (the mysterious Boom events related to discoveries IIRC) so I wouldn't worry about variety.

It would be hard to explain when you drop a couple Kerbals off at a base and go back a few years later to a few more.

I’d say about 20 would be enough. Through the judicious application of Science! to determine *ahem* optimal genetic mixing :blush:, a sufficiently genetically distinct population could be created to remain viable into the future. Another option is frozen embryos, which would be defrosted as needed to maintain genetic diversity for potentially centuries. Combine the two and you don’t need a huge initial population, just enough to simultaneously look after all those baby Kerbals and keep the colony running at the same time.