The New Stock Repository Version 0.21

Looking for a trip in style? Perhaps you just built a beach resort in Laythe, and are lacking a way to move the customers there? Well look no further! Sporting luxurious individual cabins for 16 passengers, and a central (unpressurized) meeting place along the spine of the ship, the Queen Kerman class was designed from the start to take your kerbals where they want to go, in style. The passengers can pass away the time contemplating the stars, or they can play space poker with their neighbours in the 0-G 0-pascals lounge (strict spacesuit etiquette!).

Low gravity moon landings are supported with the optional landing gear module, and a large orange drop tank on the back (half empty by the time you make orbit) ensures you have enough gas to get there (it can most likely do any one destination, at lest one way with decent navigational skills) and back again. Duna, Eve, and Laythe, the reference missions, should be doable without aerobraking, even, you've got on the order of 5km/s to play with before you think about refuelling, 2km/s without the drop tank.

pUtU1zt.png

And if the worst happens, well, there is an emergency bailout system that detaches each cabin so they can land by chute... and good luck saving the pilot then! He has emergency rocket thrusters to try a powered emergency landing, but he will have to prove his piloting skills to walk away. The passengers should be fine, though, as long as the planet they are going to be stranded on has an atmosphere.

Important technical stuff:

saWBWqf.png

On the pad with the launch vehicle, four simple mainsail boosters crossfed:

4A7cl3q.jpg

Closeups of the the passenger section and the landing gear module:

MNgyw2E.jpg

dCdFo5R.jpg

DOWNLOAD:

http://www./download/bymw7xov6x35rzt/Queen_Kerman_Class_Cruise_Ship.craft

IMGUR ALBUM (Ignore the skipper on the pictures there, it's the prototype, now you can drop it as soon as orbital insertion is complete):

http://imgur.com/a/uYbw2

Rune. Don't forget to send postcards of your trip!

My most favorite ship I've ever built....

It's called the T-9. It has launched over 100 missions for me and has an impeccable safety record (when payload is attached properly). Use throttle conservatively, 90% on ascent and 75% after 20K and above. Guaranteed to get 150 tonnes to LKO, or 80 to Kerbin Escape.

This is the literal sense of the term "brute force"

First stage: 9 Mainsails, each with four X200-32 tanks, and 4 BACC SRBs, which decouple first (when spent).

Second Stage: 1 Mainsail, with four X200-32 tanks on outside feed, and one X200-32 inboard. The outboard drain first, jettison when empty, and then the inboard feeds.

Above this any type of interplanetary stage or LKO Payload can be attached.

1adA4Dq.png

http://www./download/f9wxdk09r4kzbm3/T-9.craft

I have a stock craft suitable for going to the Mun and Minmus. It follows the Apollo principle of using a lander and a command module, and the lander also carries a small rover which works ok on the Mun, but the low gravity on Minmus affects it's performance to a greater extent.

I have already submitted a thread to share it elsewhere, which also contains a load of screenshots, so rather than duplicate it all again here, I'll just add a link to that thread.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/37722-Munar-lander-with-rover

Here's a taster of the command module and lander, with a Kerbal in the process of EVA'ing over to the lander.

rov05.jpg

Edited by Scarecrow88

- Pike

Hey guys! Something new for the VAB... a SSTO! But this time fully VTOL. I've been using a B9 version for some time, but I always wanted to try it in stock, and with more efficient engines. The result is cute, in an utilitarian short of way. And yes, those are a lot of intakes. Without further due, let me present you the Pike SSTO:

Cxa6Uvj.png

And looks aside, performance is quite amazing. It is a true airhogger, milk those engines without worries since the center one will flameout first, at about 1,700m/s and 30kms up or so. When you can't keep it lit anymore, you can continue on nukes alone to orbit for maximum efficiency, but if you need a bit more oomph to land on, say, Duna, the boost radial engines will take your T/W to something close to one on kerbin. Everything action-grouped as usual, so take a look at them before flying, and chutes to ensure a soft landing where there's some atmosphere to help... and that you land with the landing gear pointed the right way.

DOWNLOAD:

http://www./download/8s78zvq00kj8u2o/Pike.craft

IMGUR ALBUM:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

- Pike

Hey guys! Something new for the VAB... a SSTO! But this time fully VTOL. I've been using a B9 version for some time, but I always wanted to try it in stock, and with more efficient engines. The result is cute, in an utilitarian short of way. And yes, those are a lot of intakes. Without further due, let me present you the Pike SSTO:

And looks aside, performance is quite amazing. It is a true airhogger, milk those engines without worries since the center one will flameout first, at about 1,700m/s and 30kms up or so. When you can't keep it lit anymore, you can continue on nukes alone to orbit for maximum efficiency, but if you need a bit more oomph to land on, say, Duna, the boost radial engines will take your T/W to something close to one on kerbin. Everything action-grouped as usual, so take a look at them before flying, and chutes to ensure a soft landing where there's some atmosphere to help... and that you land with the landing gear pointed the right way.

DOWNLOAD:

http://www./download/8s78zvq00kj8u2o/Pike.craft

IMGUR ALBUM:

It's beautiful!

Hey guys, I am not sure if this is the right thread, but I would love it if someone tests this stock ship out for me: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/interplanetary-tug-ship/

Tug ship full model built of 5 sections. this ship can be hyper edited, or be cut into the 5 sections and launched into space.

1-command and housing section

2-engine section radially mounted onto command section

3-engine section radially mounted onto command section

4-fuel section mounted underneath command section

5-payload section(12 docking ports) and power plant

4MaWgqy.jpg

I wasn't able to test it or launch it because of hardware limitations. But I'd love your feedback on it. Thank you.

Hey guys, I am not sure if this is the right thread, but I would love it if someone tests this stock ship out for me: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/interplanetary-tug-ship/

Tug ship full model built of 5 sections. this ship can be hyper edited, or be cut into the 5 sections and launched into space.

1-command and housing section

2-engine section radially mounted onto command section

3-engine section radially mounted onto command section

4-fuel section mounted underneath command section

5-payload section(12 docking ports) and power plant

-snip-

I wasn't able to test it or launch it because of hardware limitations. But I'd love your feedback on it. Thank you.

This is more of a thread where you can find and share your spacecraft designs, you would have better luck posting your own thread if you are looking for test pilots. I can still add it to the list if you want.

oh also.

Inflexible is a Torpedo launcher, needs refuling in LKO but then can get to Duna easily. It has a fully enclosed launch deck, with a removable (and controllable) cover. 6 torpetoes (you have to manually decouple them) but then they are pilotable and deadly, with RCS and ASAS.

http://www./download/6zxb5jvdcrt71oy/Inflexible_Class.craft

3GVN8d9.png

yM5OOCW.png

This is what id does to a Capital Ship...

QhiKQ2c.png

Introducing the newest application of Arctic Aerospace's popular Altaria III twin fuselage carrier plane - the Altaria III KRU (Kerbal Rescue Unit).

screenshot136.png

screenshot137.png

The aircraft is still undergoing preliminary tests and is only available by request in the thread in my signature.

Well, I made an own post for it, but that was not necessary...

The Anubis mk2, which is an SSTO spaceplane AND an Interplanetary Return craft (made it to Duna and back for testing purposes).

It is, however, necessary to refuel it in Kerbin orbit before going to interplanetary missions.

anubismk2_2.jpg

Craft-file: http://www.file-upload.net/download-7887755/Anubis-mk2.craft.html

Full thread with more pics here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/42573-Anubis-mk2-SSTO

Edit: Created a modified version with 6 docking ports for transport purpose.

Edited by Broco

I've been working on SSTO Space Planes again since the new 0.21 has non-violent SAS. I decided its time to make a Space Biplane, and here's the first low orbit capable prototype. As opposed to just "spam intaeks", I tried to make it look remotely plausible. It can hit 28k at full throttle before flaming out on its single turbojet engine, which burns up the jet fuel tank at that time, leaving almost all the rocket fuel to the two Rocko radials. Also, docking port so I can gas it up and see how far it can go. Right now it has a computer and battery on it, but those can be removed when you put a pilot. The RCS fuel is a big radial tank under the tail section. RCS thrusters are placed on the centermass, but largely untested in ability. Later prototypes will hopefully have more than a smidgen of fuel once entering orbit. Still working on that part. The plane itself flies very well, and can take off at 97 m/s with plenty of leftover runway.

ssto_biplane.png

Plane is stock, tug is not.

This is the Arctic Aerospace Crobat logistics aircraft. It's an atmospheric radar plane designed for operations within Kerbin's atmosphere. It can carry two small Zubat probes that have numerous sensors for various information. Primarily used for long range radar and high altitude research.

screenshot138.png

I've been working on SSTO Space Planes again since the new 0.21 has non-violent SAS. I decided its time to make a Space Biplane, and here's the first low orbit capable prototype. As opposed to just "spam intaeks", I tried to make it look remotely plausible. It can hit 28k at full throttle before flaming out on its single turbojet engine, which burns up the jet fuel tank at that time, leaving almost all the rocket fuel to the two Rocko radials. Also, docking port so I can gas it up and see how far it can go. Right now it has a computer and battery on it, but those can be removed when you put a pilot. The RCS fuel is a big radial tank under the tail section. RCS thrusters are placed on the centermass, but largely untested in ability. Later prototypes will hopefully have more than a smidgen of fuel once entering orbit. Still working on that part. The plane itself flies very well, and can take off at 97 m/s with plenty of leftover runway.

-snip-

That looks very nice, but to include it I would need a name and a .craft file or instructions to get a .craft file included, sorry. Thanks for posting it though.

That looks very nice, but to include it I would need a name and a .craft file or instructions to get a .craft file included, sorry. Thanks for posting it though.

I've been tweaking the design and populating the description. The craft file will be available soon. Latest upgrades add more dV and stuff, so it can be Kerbal piloted.

I recently put together a new Mun or Minmus craft that has plenty of fuel for either destination, flies without any drama, and has a lander with fairly wide landing gear and a relatively low centre of gravity to help avoid landing tip overs. Basically it's beginner friendly for someone wishing to make those first tentative steps to visit either moon with a 3 man crew.

It's all stock and was built in 0.21

MunIII01.jpg

MunIII08.jpg

More images and a link to the craft download file can be found in another thread I started :- http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/43186-Moon-craft-for-beginners

KermaJet Aviation

After countless hours of Research and Development, KermaJet's first SSTO Space Plane has now taken to the skies.

Introducing the KermaJet KJ120 Baroness, KermaJet's first SSTO Biplane!

The KJ120 Baroness is designed as a single pilot passenger plane, able to take off from short runways, enter space, dock at small and standard-size stations, and return home, without wasting resources on disposable components. Unlike many SSTO aircraft, the KJ120 is designed with fuel economy in mind, and is lightweight as well as versatile, able to fly at extremely low speeds and takeoff from very short runways. With efficient piloting, the KJ120 can achieve stable orbit with just under half a fuel tank remaining for orbital maneuvers and landing.

The ventral and dorsal docking ports can be used to attach "drop tanks" for additional range, or computers for remote piloting. Maximum carrier capacity is 1 ton.

While our engineers have spent a large amount of time perfecting the balance of the KJ120, KermaJet can not guarantee the RCS Thrusters will move the KermaJet in a perfect line on all three vectors due to the changing weight of the fuel tanks, and does not recommend flying the KJ120 without SAS enabled.

Controls:

1: Jet Engine Only

2: Rockets Only

3: Toggle Radial Intakes

4: Toggle Aft Ram-Air Intakes

5: Deploy Aerial

6: Retract/Extend Ladder

Flight Procedure:

Engage SAS (T)

Stage for Safety (Space), then Switch to Jet (1)

Toggle All Intakes (3,4)

Full Throttle

Pull up at 80 m/s

Climb as fast as possible to 26km

Toggle Aft Ram-Air Intakes at 16k (4)

Toggle Radial Intakes at 22k (3)

Level Out and Gain Speed at 28k until max speed

Switch to Rockets (2)

Full Throttle 45deg. burn to 70+k

Circularize Orbit and Deploy Aerial (5)

Point the dorsal side of the KJ120 sunward to recharge the batteries while the engines are disengaged.

Due to an engineering oversight, the pictured production prototypes lack a cockpit ladder. The production model includes a port side retractable ladder.

You can get your Baroness right here.

kj120-orbit.jpg

kj120-aft.jpg

kj120-low.jpg

So, I have done my fair share of winged, jet powered SSTO's. But deep in my heart, I've always had this feeling that "rockets are not planes". And indeed, they are much easier. Just watch your gravity turn profile, because SSTOing on chemical rockets is tight.

Besides, with the new ASAS, keeping winged SSTO's on a good climb is much more labor-intensive. So if you want to get to orbit soon and with minimal hassle, perhaps do a crew rotation for a space station, or just getting an awesome lander up there to refuel and take somewhere else, these are your ships (4.5-4.8km/s with the tanks full, so orbit is halfway to anywhere if you can refuel there). Without further due, the Heinlein family of rocket-powered spiky fun. Enjoy!

DCakn2J.jpg

From left to right, the Mk III, Mk II, and Mk IV. Don't ask about the Mk I... it was experimental. They are pretty similar between each other in functionality, though. The Mk II has the tightest delta-v budget (you could always deorbit on RCS, plenty of that), and the Mk IV has the most reserve, so if you are not a skilled pilot and don't get that "gravity turn" thing all that well, that is the one I would recommend. Careful about the landing that one, though: you will need some leftover fuel (fumes) to do a tiny 5m/s reduction in speed just before touchdown. The other two should descend on chutes without problems, though I would still save some fumes just in case, and obviously the Mk III is the one to use for crew rotations.

IMGUR ALBUM:

DOWNLOADS:

Heinlein Mk II

Heinlein Mk III

Heinlein Mk IV

Rune. Let's start the 0.21 repository with a good foot.

I stumbled into a solid medium lift platform, and then made it pretty, thought I'd share them here.

The AR-2b Lifters are Rated for 67t, though I assume there's more lift tonnage to squeeze out with careful piloting.

Also, these handle like a thrown brick, so be prepared to turn SLOOOOOOOOWLY, and abort if things get squirrely, squirrely isn't something that the core lifter can deal with well.

I'll continue to update these as my landers and payloads evolve, and with mission sample images.

Downloads and detailed descriptions

X-A1 Prototype, with Mun Mission

AR-2b with Test payload

AR-2b Mun Mission

CR-1 Crew Rotation Module

Ballista Heavy Lifter

edit: I see your internet cookie :P

Edited by Mecha Pants
Added a new craft