KARE 2.1 [Sep 22, 2024]

JadeOfMaar

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/3/2024 at 11:00 PM, Rakete said:

Centre of thrust is not aligned correctly for the biggest KARE-engine:

PreciseEditor says that it has less than 0.1mm offset from the center of mass, looks quite precise for me :cool:  In comparison with real world engines with all their pumps  and other components shifting the COM of the engine.

12 hours ago, Manul said:

PreciseEditor says that it has less than 0.1mm offset from the center of mass, looks quite precise for me :cool:  In comparison with real world engines with all their pumps  and other components shifting the COM of the engine.

Alright then. I was just trying to figure out why one of my planes, that use that engine, keeps on rolling to the left while pulling up, even given the fact, that it was built perfectly symmetric. Not even the aerodynamical overlay helped to find the reason for this rolling momentum, when steering upwards. My last hope for the vessel was, that this might be the reason,... so i will give up on that iteration of the vessel, when even this is not the reason. 0.1mm is.... nothing.

Edited by Rakete

@Rakete Sometimes the craft design is just broken indeed, and should be abandoned or changed drastically. Ive been there. I generally take a big issue with blunt body aero and parts that aren't lift surface generating strong lift at some odd angle.

I fixed the engine imprecision you pointed out. I'll release it soon-ish.

9 minutes ago, Rakete said:

so i will give up on that iteration of the vessel

You can try PreciseEditor to check the alighment of engines and wing surfaces. I can't imagine my life without this mod: I always use it to check placement angles of landing gear, wings, engine nacelles, guns and other parts that get misaligned due to surface attachment on a curved surface.

7 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Rakete Sometimes the craft design is just broken indeed, and should be abandoned or changed drastically. Ive been there. I generally take a big issue with blunt body aero and parts that aren't lift surface generating strong lift at some odd angle.

I fixed the engine imprecision you pointed out. I'll release it soon-ish.

Agreed. I de- and re-attached almost every part. Something must be messed up with the vessel. I gave up the whole thing and continued a totally different approach for a kare-driven Warp-capable SSTO (supported by Blueshift etc...) maybe even some of the used stock parts are off, who knows. 

Strangely this one does not roll to the side, even that i uses the same parts.... just a completely different design,... who knows. I am kinda frustrated, that none of the stock tools helped me to find the reason. Neither CoM, CoL or CoT.... nor the aerodynamic overlay helped... sad.

It drives the user kinda mad, if you can't distinguish, where such torque comes from, when everything was built in symmetry. 

• 6 months later...

@JadeOfMaar  When using deferred rendering there is an effect that renders incorrectly on all 4 engines, making the business end look very ugly.
I know deferred rendering doesn't handle transparent things well but I haven't been able to locate and remove that effect/mesh so I wondered if you'd like to solve that particular compatibility issue, perhaps if it's an easy fix.
Thanks!

eKcaWCB.jpg

@lBoBl Here's an easy solution. Save this as a new .cfg anywhere in GameData

@PART[kare_eng*,kare_int*]:NEEDS[B9PartSwitch,!DepthMask,!Restock]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleB9DisableTransform
		transform = DepthMask
	}
}

6 hours ago, lBoBl said:

I know deferred rendering doesn't handle transparent things well

it's not a transparent effect, it's an invisible DepthMask  mesh being rendered. Do you have a restock or standalone depth mask plugin?

5 hours ago, Manul said:

it's not a transparent effect, it's an invisible DepthMask  mesh being rendered. Do you have a restock or standalone depth mask plugin?

By default I have that mesh use a Unity standard shader and sometimes that shader bugs out and becomes opaque anyway, I think. I tested the situation and assume the person doesn't use Restock or the standalone DepthMask plugin. (A lot of people still hate or otherwise reject Restock) And for some people the DepthMask plugin is installed but breaks anyway (at least in the editor).

On 7/27/2024 at 2:46 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

By default I have that mesh use a Unity standard shader and sometimes that shader bugs out and becomes opaque anyway, I think. I tested the situation and assume the person doesn't use Restock or the standalone DepthMask plugin. (A lot of people still hate or otherwise reject Restock) And for some people the DepthMask plugin is installed but breaks anyway (at least in the editor).

I don't use restock for reasons but the bug didn't appear until I installed deferred rendering so I assumed it was a bad interaction with it. Anyways thanks for the patch I'll try it out.

Edit: It does the job, thanks again

Edited by lBoBl

• 1 month later...

Release 2.0

WDrobvt.png

Changes

• Added stack nodes for the radial intakes to help with drag cube problems.
  • Changed drag cubes for radial intakes to resemble wing boards to help with drag cube problems.
  • Adjusted engine performance:
    • Increased thrust in the Spatha, Gladius and Baselard.
    • Slightly extended peak velocity in the Tory III.
  • Fixed DepthMask issues.
  • Retextured and Resurfaced.

PBR done right!

• 2 weeks later...