[1.12.x] ModPods

linuxgurugamer

Forum user @TiktaalikDreaming made this mod to extend the stock pods back in 2016.  He's stepped away and graciously allowed me to adopt it.  Original thread is here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/152811-ksp-130-15-mod-pods/

So, what is it?  It's basically a way of making larger pods.  Not by providing any giant pods, but by providing a set of floors/stories to pods to add onto the existing pods.  Mainly the Mk1-2pod (the same idea has already been embarked on in the M.O.L.E. mod for the Mk1 pod, to a large degree, and I don't intend to duplicate someone else's work).  So, each module will be roughly as tall as the Mk1-2Pod, and go from a size N to Size N+1.  So far, I've mostly just done size 2 to size 3.  So there's now a use for that 3.75m heatshield.The only part that isn't like that so far isn't very usable, as I haven't added 5m heat shields.

Somehow during dev, integrated heatshields and aeroplug engines snuck into the mix.  These are inspired by the ROMBUS/PEGASUS/etc plans of Doulgas Aerospace.  So far, there's three flavours.  The simplest is a standard heat shield with an ablative surface, used as the base of an aeroplug (truncated aerospike) engine that forms the whole base of the craft.  Then there's a monopropellant variant.  And a more Romboid edition following the Douglas/Bono plan where liquid fuel (in RL was to have been liquid hydrogen) is circulated around the base and bled off so it acted to carry away the heat.

The parts in the first release are basically a teaser for what I'm aiming at for a series of sizes.  The eventual goal was to get to size 8 (10m), and hopefully I'll get there.  Working from small to large means it'll be useful all along though.

Release Versions (tested, etc) Download link (updated to 1.0.2)

Work in Progress versions at https://github.com/TiktaalikDreaming/ModPods/releases

Wildly beta, untested, sometimes me just syncing stuff from laptop to desktop or vice versa; https://github.com/TiktaalikDreaming/ModPods

Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0) 

KottabosGames did up a nice we preview;

Now, I'm going to paste a pic for each of the parts, because album support in the forum is still cactus.  Sorry, kaktus.

h4ewNOc.png

veOlyvm.png

TW14piO.png

UbJ15nc.png

8cNX2en.png

o8SHkJI.png

OMF7CJC.png

ZaZ0yH2.png

QXu0vX0.png

IWYwoWG.png

PcvYHM1.png

AFhORzo.png

buBnR1N.png

NOTE:The props out to their own mod for a couple of reasons.  This permits me to re-use the props in the MEM mod, and having duplicates was annoying.  And this allows anyone else doing IVAs access to the props as a separate package.  See 

(link soon)

Availability

Changes

• Updated TDProps with latest
  • Added ReStock.cfg
  • Converted image files to dds
  • Updated some node sizes
  • Updated some descriptions

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.