Cosmic Anomaly Discussion

SSTO Crasher

This thread is a place for all astronomy geeks to discuss cosmic anomalies, these could be weird cosmic objects like neutron stars, black holes, and the theoretical quasi stars, or it could mean interesting physics principles or recent strange discoveries.

Well my top pick would be 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Przybylski's_Star
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSBudez6wyo he is mentioning plutonium who is not in Wikipedia list. 
Here is an star with plenty of short lived atoms in its spectrum. 
Most likely option as I see it is that the star was close in star distances to something like an neutron star merger or an supernova recently as in historical time. 
It then got hit by lots of particles, some who has an higher atomic number than we has created and some of them is in the island of stability who is an theory that you could get atoms with 114 protons and higher atoms with plutonium or higher level stability. 
As these decay we get the short lived stuff. But then we should the the island of stability atoms as new lines in the spectrum helium style. 
Other options is aliens its an very obvious techno signature we could do today but I expect that would be like nuclear waste products or stuff who is easy to make and obvious. 
The star has an strong magnetic field could it work as an particle accelerator? I say it is unlikely as you would run into hydrogen and helium. 

Very interesting, also 2 of the elements in that Star are named after the same place

ive been reading about the dark star theory. It’s very interesting although a star would have to be huge to form one, so they probably would not have a long life

14 hours ago, magnemoe said:

A fission star. I was dreaming about one in my student years.

The Elder Ones were collecting uranium until it unexpectedly reached the critical mass.

As The Elder Ones could not be so silly, probably a nanite uranium autocollection factory stayed switched on when they had left the system. Like a clothes iron.

An interesting article discusses a curious law seen in astronomy: angular momentum of a planet, star, or galaxy is proportional to the square of its mass:

Cosmic Carousel

19 December 1998

By Robert Matthews

If his idea is right, conservation of angular momentum would ensure that

evidence would be visible today. Carneiro suspects it is—in the form of a

mysterious “law” discovered in the 1970s, when astronomers found that the

angular momentum of a planet, star or galaxy is proportional to the square of

its mass.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg16021652-500-cosmic-carousel/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.