Is there a way to manually set part's response to input (for stuff like split ailerons/differential steering)

33 minutes ago, IvanBatura said:

Normally the game decides how a wheel or a control surface behaves based on it's orientation and it's relation to CoM.

Is there a mod that overrides this, or lets me customize it without robotics?

You can reverse the control of wheels and surfaces in the action menu if you have advanced tweakables on.

kOS can do this via script, but if that is the only thing you'd use it for the overhead would be a bit much.  That said, once you had it installed and started scripting it is likely you'd find more uses for it.  A lot more.  If you are programming oriented, and find moderate quirkiness a fun challenge, it might be for you!

I've scripted rover scripts that changed the steering to "reverse" on the rear wheels of a 6 wheel rover when speeds were less than 1m/s for example.  The script just runs in a loop checking the vehicle speed and making adjustments as necessary.

kOS changes the nature of the game quite a bit if you use it a lot, like for launches etc.  But you only have to use it to the degree you want to, and unlike MechJeb, it is *not* a crutch.  It adds completely new challenges to the game as the automation it offers must be built by the scripter

5 hours ago, IvanBatura said:

You know what differential steering is? Needs this constantly .Moreover, there's no such option for control surfaces.

The authority sliders for control surfaces go negative.  If want a reversed 6 degree deflection, set it to -6.

Unfortunately there's no way I know of to quickly toggle it back and forth.

Just now, darthgently said:

The only way I know is via kOS scripting or some other programmable environment (kRPC?).  What about action groups?

Action groups might let you make changes to deployment direction.  Not sure as I've never done it and don't have the game up right now.  But I've never seen anything that let's you assign authority limits via action groups.

They might let you swap steering direction on wheels, though.

6 hours ago, IvanBatura said:

You know what differential steering is? Needs this constantly .Moreover, there's no such option for control surfaces.

• rightclick the control surface.
  • pin the part details.
  • move somewhere convenient on screen.
  • adjust authority sliders live during flight.

That's the best the stock game has to offer.

DLC: if the KAL1000 could act on dynamic pressure, it could be programmed to adapt authority based on that. I'll admit I haven't looked very hard for the option, but I don't think it can.