SPACE STATIONS! Post your pictures here

tsunam1

Thought I'd put up my most advanced station. This was a pain to construct.

It's called Casbah Station, because it rocks all over the place when on SAS.

1024x768.resizedimage

It originally was supposed to orbit Eve, but it got Kraken'd when coming out of warp.

Shot up the first part to my space station, but it got in a 80 x 500km orbit... soo i think i'll destroy it pretty soon.

os9w7o.jpg14ky8ht.jpg

To make it i just modified my demo built rocket the FSTO, and added some solar panels & batteries, i forgot lights thought :/

This is mine, built with some modded parts, but not that many. Mainly unrealistic ion reactors, quantum struts, and few other things, but the solar panels, life modules, docking ports, etc are all stock.

I made a first version with simple docking ports, but later found that a quad docking port system makes it easier to dock at the right angle.

It weighs more than 340 tons, has more than 1600 parts, and is made of 5 docked ships.

Even on a high end system, it lags as hell, and the last docking maneuver was really long and complicated.

You can see that it has a lot of free docking ports, the limit being that it's almost unplayable to add more parts to this monster...

It orbits at a bit more than 83 000 km from Kerbin, on a polar orbit, near the limit of Kerbin attraction.

F79ACD8A45482DE824DBD3986E5E625C3DC755B4

Edited by kildjan

It needs a lot of precautions, and actually I only extend the panels at the very last moment. But still, I cannot do the same with the ones on the existing part, so it's a very cautious approach, as vertical as possible, with if possible no rotation in the last 100 meters, only lateral RCS.

My very first major KSP project, an ISS replica... back when I first bought the game, (and before I knew about parts count), its too laggy to be functional, but I'm proud of it regardless... Took me 72 hours to finish it, did it all in the span of 5 days, needless to say I was TIRED after building this lol. I made this screenshot my mission flag :)

z3P5VXu.jpg

Horizon Station, from my livestream. I finished the habs and added the dock off camera.

7pk8.png

mler.png

This Saturday, we get back to work on extra-kerbin tourism with Horizon and Tranquility.

I'll be sending up a tug to pull off the dock so we can add the fuel reserve, which I haven't even thought about how to do yet.

This is my latest creation, a pinnacle of Kerbal enginnering: the 5-star space-hotel The Final Frontier

in 75K LKO. it houses up to 288 Kerbal guests and has artificial gravity in the spinning rings.

MEdMB4T.png

And that wasn't based off that way old NASA ring station concept at all!

XD It seriously does look just like it.

And that wasn't based off that way old NASA ring station concept at all!

XD It seriously does look just like it.

you mean the Stanford Torus? no I just wanted to build a circular rotating station

ps it lags as hell

pps the mod used for the rotation: the free moving Docking Washer from Magic Smoke Industries (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/37707-0-21-Magic-Smoke-Industries-Parts-Infernal-Robotics-0-8b-%2810-7-2013%29?highlight=magic+smoke+industries)

and Quantum Struts as brakes for the rings

Edited by Peekie30

Well, after many hours of trial and error for launching components I was able to get everything up and docked with no space debris! Entire station is all stock and 366 parts.

The station is comprised of:

- 1 Communications Hub - satelite dish, scientific equipment

- 1 Space Station Core - based off the stock model, holds up to 6 Kerbals

- 4 Habitation Modules - each holds up to 8 Kerbals. Batteries, solar panels and RCS system for independent operation in case of emergencies

- 5 Liquid Fuel Tanks - Large and full for refuelling

- 4 Mono Propelent Tanks - Large and full for refuelling

- 14 Large Solar Panels

- 2 Large Batteries

- 2 Remote Control Drones - Large and medium docking ports for moving station components around

- 16 Open Docking Ports - for additional ships to allow for refuelling, crew transfers, etc.

Lights as well, and several RCS ports. Docking port at the bottom will be used to connect a component with several engines that will pull the station into new orbits or to other moons/planets.

7E4EF67A5ABC53BDDB2D012F0AE7CB5D28439D43

A6DDE4C9C4725EBAF4CC55C6D3706D03D1CB5AD5

If you guys have any questions or suggestions please let me know!

The biggest help for me was designing the entire station in the VAB and then breaking down each module to a separate launcher. Would have been WAY easier with the new sub-assembly stuff planned but it worked out fine and I refuse to install mods yet.

Edited by kirkmegna

Well, after many hours of trial and error for launching components I was able to get everything up and docked with no space debris! Entire station is all stock and 366 parts.

The station is comprised of:

- 1 Communications Hub - satelite dish, scientific equipment

- 1 Space Station Core - based off the stock model, holds up to 6 Kerbals

- 4 Habitation Modules - each holds up to 8 Kerbals. Batteries, solar panels and RCS system for independent operation in case of emergencies

- 5 Liquid Fuel Tanks - Large and full for refuelling

- 4 Mono Propelent Tanks - Large and full for refuelling

- 14 Large Solar Panels

- 2 Large Batteries

- 2 Remote Control Drones - Large and medium docking ports for moving station components around

- 16 Open Docking Ports - for additional ships to allow for refuelling, crew transfers, etc.

Lights as well, and several RCS ports. Docking port at the bottom will be used to connect a component with several engines that will pull the station into new orbits or to other moons/planets.

7E4EF67A5ABC53BDDB2D012F0AE7CB5D28439D43

ECC215BD12136B736985814F25E8DEA07C4AD92E

If you guys have any questions or suggestions please let me know!

The biggest help for me was designing the entire station in the VAB and then breaking down each module to a separate launcher. Would have been WAY easier with the new sub-assembly stuff planned but it worked out fine and I refuse to install mods yet.

Nice!

I fixed your pictures. :P

That would lag some on my comp, but it certainly won't when .22 comes!

My K.S.S/I.K.S.S In Orbit

(sorry No instant img I was new at this time)

http://i.imgur.com/zkiZISl.jpg

Quite Small Yes? Well i Was quite New to Stations at the Time (i Hardly Knew how to dock) I may as well give you a list of what it Has :/ 1. Solar Array With 4 Big pannels And 4 small 2. Node 1 For docking Multipul Moduals 3. Hab/Science Modual For Well The kerbals Duh! Thats all i had at The time And i wish To Start making Bigger ones!