SPACE STATIONS! Post your pictures here

tsunam1

So I spent the last day (and a half) making a space station around the moon. Orbit: 150km, for habitation and Kethane storage. Attached to it is the craft I use to mine/transport Kethane from the surface. There's like 8 mods probably in this so if you want to know just ask!

RD6yYdw.png

But anyway post your space stations!

PS. I want to make this like 4x bigger with much more Kethane storage, but I'm already getting like 1.5 fps :(

Thread merged into the existing space station thread.

And guys? If you see something you think needs to be acted upon, just hit the "report" button to call it to a moderator's attention, okay? No need to clutter up the forum with posts complaining about other posts. :P

Just finished up my first station project.

From front to back, the artificial gravity habitation ring, rotating docking module, central docking core (with command tower on top, 2 local utility tugs, and a reentry capable tug), main power module, and fuel storage module.

2013-12-08_00010.jpg

View from the far side of the ring, with a forward facing observation room at the hub.

2013-12-08_00011.jpg

2013-12-08_00007.jpg

Room for 28 permanent residents in the habitation modules.

It's pretty modular, so I can see expanding this with additional fuel storage and science capabilities.

Mods used in addition to stock parts.

Magic Smoke Industries/Infernal Robotics (to rotate the ring)

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement

UbioZur Welding

I didn't want to make something so big to the point where i couldn't enjoy the view of kerbin's beauty because of the frame-rate....

so i present...

Space-Lab Bravo

wxkgnM2.jpg

It has only 2 modules (Command/Habitation and Power) with room for expansion and docking of any CTV's (in this instance i have 2 Orion MPCV's docked on either side)

PIenGxv.jpg

Here is the power array, made with a lot of Near Future Propulsion parts, it contains several batteries, a small nuclear generator, several capacitors and 2 large photovoltaic solar arrays

Fu53xmO.jpg

Another view of the station with Kerbin in the background

WhpXTdc.jpg

Posing for a selfie lol

Ed07crc.jpg

Dunfred Kerman admiring the beauty of kerbin's glowing cities at night while performing routine maintenance on the station (in this case hooking modules together with detachable KAS struts)

Where did you get the ISS looking Solar Panels?

EDIT: Never mind, don't mind my stupidity, i completely missed the text saying Near Future Propulsion Parts.

Bob Kerman transferring from the crew shuttle (background) to the Science Module (foreground) of the tentatively named Alpha Space Station, the beginnings of my attempt to build a kilometre long structure in space.

1490699_377582519044418_1293445240_o.jpg

I'm going to have to be careful with attaching crew shuttles, as it appears that adding mass to the side ports introduces an oscillation that on a large station could be disastrous. Apart from the crew shuttle, this station so far has had three launches: the first being the large fuel tank and solar array, radiators and battery bank. Second to go up was the RCS block (in front of the fuel/solar block), and third the Science Module. Next up will be a crew habitation module. Since I don't have H.O.M.E. in this build, it's going to be just a stack of hitchhiker containers, to bring the total crew capacity to 24 (to go with the 8 side docks capacity for 24 rotatable crew spaces, obviously). One thing I think I will end up doing is redesigning the crew shuttle so the top stage is as small as possible. SSTO rockets are getting too easy, even the thousand tonners (tho I did decide to build this station in stages, it'd be not much of a challenge to strap a hundred rockets up the side of a bloody long tube and light the bottom. I do enjoy the increasing challenge of docking to a relatively chaotically moving port).

Addendum: I am going to try and replicate this station using the part welding tool, purely to reduce the part count and kick the framerate up. I am still going to use the jointed build model, just going to weld the structural parts. So for example, the LFE booster stages will be welded subassemblies, and the science lab/hitchhiker bin stack (I've just right this minute decided to combine the two) will be another welded subassembly. I'm wondering if I can weld batteries and solar panels etc as well and still have full functionality or will welding break them? Anyone?

Build: 0.22

Mods: Firespitter*, Hexcans, Kethane*, KWRocketry*, Luvodicus (Extended? It's got the ridiculous atomic engine which I use a LOT)*, MechJeb 2, RemoteTech 2, KSPInterstellar.

*all just dumped in from my 0.20 build, everything seems to work fine but something breaks MechJeb's ascent guidance occasionally...

Addendum #2: part welding KWR is problematic. The plugin doesn't know how to weld the parts together, and what I end up with is a: something that looks like something off a Rayman game, and b: a core that just wants to float 105m off the launch pad. Back to the drawing board and minimising part counts where possible, I suppose... any ideas on how to make something that weighs sixty tons respond to the impulse of four (yes FOUR) stock RCS pods?

Edited by ihtoit
added poll - added build info - update on welding

Career-mode, no mods (cuz I'm a noob and a fool). Launched my most ambitious thing to date yesterday, a 700+ part, 120 ton deadweight of a space-ring. Unnessecary? Completely! But so much fun. My framerate wasn't fantastic though.

mOLhdb2.jpg

Shown here with the launch scaffolding still attached. I had a detachable scaffold on the front with a small probe-brain and some RCS to get it clear, and the rest mounted on the rocket in the back.

bzxhnzw.jpg

And the moment of release:

oAeyrkD.jpg

O87SRYT.jpg

Took a few tries to get the launch right. Turned out one of the support struts had been mounted inside one of the thrusters. >_>

JBtg26q.jpg

But in the end, it flew! Graceful like a sack of anvils!

zkPpIkS.jpg

Edited by Bluntie

Really cool looking station Bluntie, reminds me of Deep Space 9. :) Was trying to figure out how you assembled it, but then saw you launched the whole thing at once, wow.

Don't want to be negative but that doesn't look like DS9. This looks like DS9!