SPACE STATIONS! Post your pictures here

tsunam1

I've learned to dock and begun construction of the SS Spindle.. Already laggy and I don't even have the fuel storage on yet.

http://i.imgur.com/GE3lRZa.png

View from a tug.

http://i.imgur.com/Bf7kGYk.png

Component lifter visible in the background.

http://i.imgur.com/oe0ciuV.png

Space Segue!

Album: http://imgur.com/a/d7vMi

That shouldn't lag. Turn down your settings like terrain detail and texture res./rendering quality and turn down physics delta as low as the settings will allow, you should have better FPS. Nice station too!

Took me a while to figure out how to dock. The first module (research lab on the right) ran out of electricity and fuel for the RCS thrusters. A slight spin made it nearly impossible for me...but I managed! Three more modules and it is finished!

2ykxreu.jpg

Very nice look! I love the retextures. But how on earth did you dock with no RCS?
Nice alternate coloring! How do you mean when you say you docked without RCS? Did you use liquid fuel engines instead?

Thanks! It's relatively easy, I only messed up one approach in the ten modules joined there. I made a video of docking the battery banks here, but even with the largest module, the red russian one, it's just a matter of having a lot of patience, a small engine, and plenty of torque.

It also helps to rightclick your main engines, and limit the throttle to like, 10% so you can really fine tune your relative velocity.

Even if you're coming in on a bad angle, as the first part of the battery bank was, just make sure the docking ports touch, and shut down ASAS so the magnets will do the work for you.

Edited by Agent86

You just convinced me to get KerbPaint.

It's fantastic, I love it so much.

g7uchLK.png

I've replaced the Cutlass Spaceplane with the Beliskner Space Shuttle. It holds 11 kerbals, compared to Cutlass's 1, and can land horizontally at the KSC rather than vertically like the Koyuz supply ships that I used to use to rotate crew.

Edited by Agent86

Built this today. It uses Aies, B9, Fustek, and LLL. Still need to figure out to animate the bay doors on the RA3.05 Fustek parts to put in the salvage tugs. Anyways,...

The KSC's newest research and Kethane orbital refueling depot.

Capacity: (4)

Escape Pods: (2) 2 man salvage tugs

Kethane Tank Storage: Plenty

Has converter and kethane-based generator as backup or supplemental power, and a shortwave and longwave communications array.

DN8wLJg.jpg

TyImL6N.jpg

mMgv98c.jpg

ey1tVfp.jpg

Getting it into orbit with just two launches won't be hard and it's final orbit will be around the Mun, where it will be assembled.

Edited by sharpspoonful

My Newest Orbital Construction Facility:

VAXJ9yQ.png

On the far left of the picture is the Kethane Storage, Holding a Whopping 48,000 units of Kethane for use as Fuel and Monopropellant. On top is not fuel, but rather RocketPart Storage holding a maximum of 800000 parts, with a 3D printer to convert Kethane into Parts. Opposite this is the Fuel and Monopropellant Storage. Holding 7500 MP and 11160 Liquid Fuel and 13640 Oxidizer. At the rear we have the Thermo-electric generator and Nuclear Reactor providing power for the entire operation. In the Foreground are the living quarters, that house the stations crew of 3, and in the background, barely visible between the Kethane Storage and Part Storage is the Crew Delivery Vehicle that also doubles as an escape pod.

I'm a big fan of Wayland's Space 1999 Eagle mod. And the LLL parts allow you to make Eagle Mission pods of various types quite nicely.

Something I've thought the Eagle could do quite handily is construct a base made out of mission pods it carries up under it's main truss if I could be patient enough and careful enough with the docking and link up. On Minmus it's relatively easy. RCS is capable of helping lift up an Eagle's weight just enough to allow you to "Scoot" it along the ice flats in order to bring the docking ports into alignment. After that it's just a matter of multiple deliveries. I used a total of 5 Eagles to construct the main base and delivered some extras with a 3 more.

The base has life support and recycling (the Greenhouse pod helps support that) and Minmus Base Alpha sits on top of a Kethane node so it's able to refuel ships that come in. Though I'm getting close to depleting the node. But that's okay! The modular nature of the base means the whole thing can be easily picked up and moved to the next node. And in my save, there's another Kethane node under another part of the same ice flat in the same hemisphere. So a single Eagle could make multiple trips and move the whole base.

Eagle 5 docks the latest module addition to Minmus Base Alpha:

mQJc5Tj.png

Eagle 5 lifts off after taking on some fuel and then unhooking from the Mission Pod, which becomes the newest wing of the base.

Ox4YOuy.png

The base as it stands now. The large rover in the far distant part of the shot can hook up to the base modules and tug them into place for alignment if the Eagle can't do so.

BaVZe4x.png

Javascript is disabled. View full album

my latest Low Kerbin Orbit station, one with a tanker docked.

pretty much just an orbital Gas station, but I have a science and a habitation module in orbit waiting for tugs to pull them over.

I found that with my old 8-port station, I didn't anticipate having dorsal docking ports on as many of my craft as I do, so I modified my duna station design, and added 8 more docking ports, and spaced them out better. also put on a bigger docking ring for large craft such as tankers.

Edited by Commissar
messed up the imgur

I have too large stations that were meant to be docked together, but when I dock a tug to one of them to push it into rendezvous with the other...my computer completely freezes, every time. They're pretty part heavy so I guess I got what was coming to me, but it was a tragedy. ygqEK8Q.jpg cApYjCO.png sUQNabq.png