SPACE STATIONS! Post your pictures here

tsunam1

In the last days i've gotten better and better in ksp, and finnaly brought this into orbit around kerbin :

ve0xaw.jpg

It was shot up in one launch due to that i haven't unlocked docking ports yet (and i've never tried docking before so one piece is the best)

It was hard to design the rocket that brought it into orbit, but i'm glad i did it, i'm now mostly using it as a mega sattelite as a part of my remotetech network.

Hephaestus Space Dock (WIP)

It's still in the design phase but you get the idea:

screenshot17.png

screenshot18.png

The eight arms can be opened and closed for easier docking or to allow bigger vessels. The Gantry crane can run roughly half the length of the bay.

Still need to think of a nice way to add some kind of power supply but so far it looks pretty good.

Hephaestus Space Dock (WIP)

It's still in the design phase but you get the idea:

The eight arms can be opened and closed for easier docking or to allow bigger vessels. The Gantry crane can run roughly half the length of the bay.

Still need to think of a nice way to add some kind of power supply but so far it looks pretty good.

you can add stack RTGs. i remember someone releasing a mod that adds stack-attached RTGs recently.

Used a fuel depot for conventionally fuelled craft, this station has capacity for 5 kerbals and a frankly silly amount of LF/O. It's also got a nuclear reactor to enable visiting crafts' capacitor banks to be rapidly refilled if need be.

F67w1my.jpg

gI7Hz6f.jpg

VNlacch.jpg

Notably, this station is unable to refuel my Orion driven vessels - they're so huge that it is more suitable to have small refuelling drones that move to the vessel needing to be fuelled, rather than the other way around.

Edited by SufficientAnonymity

Hephaestus Space Dock

(With an interplanetary science vessel docked inside.)

screenshot19.png

I expected the arms to be the most difficult to launch but they turned out to be the easiest. The asymmetric hab section was pretty tricky but the fuel section was a nightmare. Due to the sheer weight it took over a dozen attempts, I either lost control or the rocket collapsed mid-flight

Nice space dock. Are those robotics hinges?

Yes, Infernal Robotics. The arms can open and close to allow easier docking or adjust for differently shaped vessels. The docking point is mounted on a gantry rail (and has the ability to rotate) so that too can be adjusted to fit the docked ship.

screenshot18.png

(Concept version. Not identical to final design.)

My new fuel station, Gateway Station, just after delivery to a 125km Kerbin orbit:

sFYuzHX.png

(the booster's in the background, getting ready to safely de-orbit itself.)

It's a 700-ton, 735-part station lifted in a single launch, no docking involved. It's got a few empty Kethane tanks just because I needed a few spacers, but it's designed to allow for modular additions (nine 2.5m docking ports), so that I can add refineries and resource tanks once the new resource system is added. You can't see from this angle, but it's got some engines on the back end, so I can drive one of these to another planet if I really want to.

Eventually I'll make a version with more mod parts, but in the meantime I've got a huge fuel depot in orbit.

2048x1280.resizedimage

Science had me building things other than stations, but I returned to it soon enough: LKO Fueling Station Beta has its core modules assembled.

2048x1280.resizedimage

Approach angles were sometimes "an issue" during construction: there's no RCS on the modules, to reduce part count once everything is in-place.

2048x1280.resizedimage

Docking was a little snug while expanding...

2048x1280.resizedimage

With habitation and escape modules and tugs...

2048x1280.resizedimage

The more-usual solar panel configuration for easier docking and less lag. And UI so you can see the capacities.

2048x1280.resizedimage

And finally, a shot down the length of the mast of the C3 module to show the cross section.

Here's my space station.. Consists of main command module with 2 nuclear engines, plus 2 smaller for when (if) the nuclear ever run out. I can't detach them now for risk of damage to the rest of the station. There's 4 available docking ports around bottom of the command module for tugs/fuel loads.. I have two fuel loads in the picture as so far I haven't had to launch a tug for rendezvous. Third section is a fuel/resource section within an enclosed fairing. Docking gantry beneath that for interplanetary ships for refueling, then the massive solar arrays that need to come off.. Or be rearranged. I haven't decided yet.

spacestation3_zps60e7b61a.png

Oh my god, I have looked for this for ages... what is the name of that computer operating system?

ty barrenwaste

I have also some stock base stations.

this one is a mobile one (you can move it to reach better places) Has a couple of rovers embedded (designed to act also to move the base), that rovers can be deployed: One can bring kerbals the other one has experiment stuff on board.

the package I made has a space station, the SpaceJar shuttle capable to do a kerbin->mün->mimnus->kerbin round trip to move crews.

The dock/undock of the rovers is very simplified using guides and elevators. The base has a good range, can return back on kerbin and/or land on atmo planet thanks it's parachutes

Javascript is disabled. View full album
. Edited by pinolallo

Oh my god, I have looked for this for ages... what is the name of that computer operating system?

Windows XP, either Media Center Edition or a modded Home/Pro edition.

Microsoft released a shinier theme called Royale for download for users of Media Center Edition, which of course has also been modified by people for use with any Windows XP version.