SPACE STATIONS! Post your pictures here

tsunam1

My humble station, Launched in 2 parts (not including the as-of-yet untested Duna lander docked at the bottom) it is an un-manned refuelling depot I use for matching up parts of my interplanetry missions.

r11o.png

I use Ferram so the crucifix upper part folds so it can fit within a fairing. Without fuel the entire station masses in at around 10 tonnes with 116 parts. I plan to have 4 of the fuel modules you can see in the image, giving me a single jumbo tanks worth of fuel when its all finished.

Edited by Shania_L
Accuracy

So many Kerbin stations, my poor little Duna Hub feels lonely.

She has space for 33 Kerbals, 3 orange tanks worth of fuel storage, 6000 units RCS, and space for 4 large ships with 2.5m ports and 4 small ships with 1.25m ports. Pictured here, the tug which brought half of it to Duna is approaching from the lower right to dock. Check out the building of it here!

7cyv93q.png

• 2 weeks later...

This was my first Kerbin Space Station, a month ago (0.21). It was destroyed in a sad accident with the life support systems, that rendered the four escape pods and the two shuttle pods docked unusable due to the explosive nature of the incident. Jeb, Bill and Bob survived miraculously in the main body remains, until a rescue ship was able to get them back to land. It was previously damaged from a failed docking, and a big solar panel was absent because of it (yes, I learnt later how to disable the UI for screenshots xD ).

P5hn80M.png

Here's the heir of the previous station, serving also as Kerbin Space Station (0.21 and 0.22 Sandbox). Smaller, but more functional. You can see clearly the main body, the life support module, the communication module, the four escape pods module, a sciences module and a shuttle pod docked. It had a neaerly twin station in Mun orbit, that had another explosive Kraken incident, that left stranded some kerbals there.

UFHbBXI.png

And this is my current (0.22 Career) Kerbin Space Station, still growing up. It has a lot more attention to power supply and life support necessities than previous designs, went to space science enabled already, and relies a lot more into satellite networks for communications, while retaining a basic capacity to communciate with Kerbin and it's moons. The main body and the communication module can double up as deorbit emergency pods, as a last security measure after the Mun Space Station accident.

eEOkijq.png

Edited by Demon_82

Here is my Newest Station Valhalla. It is a true space station, with a lounge, science lab (With observation port), and refueling facilities.

screenshot11_zpsed9d7c47.png

In the above the Science and observation modules can be seen to the fart left (This also doubles as the command pod for orbit adjustments). Immediately behind that we have the first of two refueling stations, followed by crew lounge and sleeping areas. Next is the other refueling stations (With spaceplane attached, currently being refueled) and on the very end is the emergency escape pod, capable of carrying the entire crew back to kerbin. It is completely autonomous, requiring no input from the crew. (Though they can override it if necessary)

And the Back:

screenshot12_zpsfe6daf1a.png

This image shows my interplanetary transport ship in the process of being assembled. (It is on the aft refuel station, also being refueled)

Morning on Valhalla:

screenshot13_zps31ba0674.png

The sun rises majestically over the horizon of Kerbin, providing much needed energy to the large solar arrays to be stored in the many On-board batteries.

Giant solar arrays at work:

screenshot14_zpse69d0efa.png

In this image you can see several of the science experiments attached to the side of the observation module, as well as one of the four antennae used for communication with the KSC via a satellite network in Kerbo-synchronous orbit around the planet.

EDIT: Was testing to see if the image insertion worked. It worked pretty fine.

0esK1ur.jpg

I'm not making a crack at you hacking it into orbit, but you should know that the LMPM isn't on Node 2, and definitely not on the station twice. I really wish BobCat would fix that.

Yeeeeahhhh, if you could go ahead and link us to .craft files, that would be grrrreeeeeeaaaaat.

The Kerbin Space Kuark Collider

Here you go. I removed the lauchstages because they use KWrocketry. On that note I mainly use KPSX and KWrocketry, so if anything modrelated comes up you know where to look. You will need KSPX for the crew module.

The ring uses a kind of reversed christmas tree construction to keep it steady during ascent, on the lowest tier are some unassigned struts that connect to the lauchstage.

Ring - 1/3

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2fgjnhjnz9ujno9/Kerbin%20Space%20Kuark%20Collider%20-%20Ring%20-%201_3.craft

Service module - 2/3

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxnxpqxf5ujda93/Kerbin%20Space%20Kuark%20Collider%20-%20Service%20module%20-%202_3.craft

Crew module - 3/3

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xxfx541oivcbj6s/Kerbin%20Space%20Kuark%20Collider%20-%20Crew%20module%20-%203_3.craft

Edited by 4nxs

So it generates a high-energy particle beam, eh? For science, of course...

It would be just terrible if that beam were to be directed at any ground targets, wouldn't it?

Yes, for science, you monster

1D447382CC412086E678ED50484C13D0F59E8E0B

Helios Orbital Solar Station AKA: Big H.O.S.S.

CBE0EE5BE51E027C0237A30254142F5DE529EB9A

RRTS Station with lander and SSTO docked to the docking station.

EA47B0A621AAD09B8A156C9B51A888527ED63C1F

Here is a close up of the lander docked to the docking station.

8CFDF8BE5E4F52751F3641A7FF65E048A57FE133

Here is a side view of my Gagarin Station currently deployed at Duna. On the bottom there is a crew transfer pod to carry crew down to the base and back up to the station. On the side, there are four escape pods in case of emergency.

3C4ADF00C0E5D8646B232FD31AEE07754E5A279E

Here is a perspective 3/4 view of my Gagarin Station deployed at Duna.

I'm using mechjeb 2.1, the most recent version out. The problem with this is that, for some reason, I'm missing options such as Ascent guidance and etc. The only options currently available for me 'Custom window Editor', 'Settings'

'Smart A.S.S.' 'Delta-V stats' 'Orbit info' and 'Surface info'. Here's a screenshot of the mechjeb window. http://gyazo.com/0afb4e9b770b0f7fea50639b21d6473a . I've searched through change logs and through a few other websites and I couldn't find anything on the matter or if other people had the issue.

I just could be blind as a bat though. Does anyone have any say on the matter?

Edited by 700NitroXpress

Well...I just made this over the last two days. My first station ever.

It weighs less than 30 tons... but it's more of a test, really. 8 modules in 6 launches, no Mechjeb.

*Drum roll...* Behold the GTV Sarkany! *Drummer breaks his sticks, drum rolls away and anticlimactically falls to the ground*

So what, the next one will be better :cool:

screenshot155_zps3066c077.png

screenshot156_zps37813d66.png

Lifeboat module prior to docking:

screenshot146_zps3e287cef.png

The Corvus ferry stages are capable of autonomous powered landing after deorbiting.

screenshot143_zps15630f5b.png

Edited by Ravenchant

I didn't want to make something so big to the point where i couldn't enjoy the view of kerbin's beauty because of the frame-rate....

so i present...

Space-Lab Bravo

wxkgnM2.jpg

It has only 2 modules (Command/Habitation and Power) with room for expansion and docking of any CTV's (in this instance i have 2 Orion MPCV's docked on either side)

PIenGxv.jpg

Here is the power array, made with a lot of Near Future Propulsion parts, it contains several batteries, a small nuclear generator, several capacitors and 2 large photovoltaic solar arrays

Fu53xmO.jpg

Another view of the station with Kerbin in the background

WhpXTdc.jpg

Posing for a selfie lol

Ed07crc.jpg

Dunfred Kerman admiring the beauty of kerbin's glowing cities at night while performing routine maintenance on the station (in this case hooking modules together with detachable KAS struts)

t8d2.jpg

First crew for the brand spanking new station ready for launch!

fhj3.jpg

Jettison the boosters!

kd04.jpg

Stations still shut down. Smell that new paint!

jsp3.jpg

Just in time for sunrise... time to power up the systems.

e95p.jpg

All systems are go!

vq6o.jpg

Exterior checks...

0kvg.jpg

qz9v.jpg

Time to head home...

2au8.jpg

o1jo.jpg

6wrf.jpg

jsp3.jpg

Just in time for sunrise... time to power up the systems.

e95p.jpg

All systems are go!

vq6o.jpg

Exterior checks...

0kvg.jpg

How many parts was that massive station? also, how did you construct your main truss segment? whenever i try to make such a long truss i have trouble launching it and even more docking it

Edited by Sippyfrog
too long of a quote

Hey!

I'm for the first time I think playing 100% vanilla, not using a single mod, and I have taken many large breaks here and then from playing KSP, usually jumping several versions ahead. Because of this, I'm fairly new to the whole docking and rendezvous mechanics, but I -am- trying my best at my space station :P It's been a monumental task for me, but at the same time, each module I successfully dock I get better and better :D

MSS - Hammer

pT4TT2o.jpg

Not finished yet.

ZPZsnOr.jpg

It currently consists of 4 different modules that I have sent up individually; The Head, the docking arm to extend distance and number of docking ports, the fuel depot (which also has an engine in case of emergencies) and the hangar module with 4 Jr. ports on the outside around the corners (for quick docking of either pods or excessive equipment), one big port sticking out for big ships, kind of like a port bay, and then 4 more Jr. ports inside, located at the very top (back) of the hangar so pods can fit snuggly and deep inside the hangar bay.

Sadly now I'm at the point where I'm not sure if I should continue with the project because my FPS is starting to get really low lol D:

P.S.: I have taken individual pictures of all the sections along with their lifters from the VAB if anyone wants to see them. So far the "fuel depot" (the back of the station) has been by far the hardest to lift, weighting something around 100 tonnes x_x, and the T-shaped docking arm module being by far the worst to maneuver into docked state.

Also this is all in career mode, and I've had to run many other missions prior to this to finally put together my idea/design. One of my earlier missions include a garage of 4 worm buggies to the moon, which is the starting point for my future moon base (my space station "Hammer" being the tool to manage that base. Every community needs a good hammer nowadays).

Edited by MonaBabii

How many parts was that massive station? also, how did you construct your main truss segment? whenever i try to make such a long truss i have trouble launching it and even more docking it

Current configuration has taken 14 launches. I still need to add fuel tanks to make it a re-fueling station for future missions.

That main truss is a total of 4 segments. I used the "Docking Truss" mod to join them together to stiffen the truss (and joints between other segments) to eliminate the dreaded wobble. I'll find out what the total part count is later... not really looking forward to the answer. :sticktongue:

Current configuration has taken 14 launches. I still need to add fuel tanks to make it a re-fueling station for future missions.

That main truss is a total of 4 segments. I used the "Docking Truss" mod to join them together to stiffen the truss (and joints between other segments) to eliminate the dreaded wobble. I'll find out what the total part count is later... not really looking forward to the answer. :sticktongue:

By docking truss mod do you mean the docking struts mod? because i use a similar thing in that i use the KAS struts (just because it seems a little cooler to do it from eva and it still takes 2 parts) :)