SPACE STATIONS! Post your pictures here

tsunam1

Thanks! And I didn't know there was a thread for that! I'll post it over there. :D LOL

There is, it's just a ways down somewhere. Hunting will be required. I'll see if I can get a link for you. This post will be edited when I get it.

EDIT: Wish granted. Link to bases thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/32389-Showcase-Post-your-Bases/

Edited by Captain Sierra

I have too large stations that were meant to be docked together, but when I dock a tug to one of them to push it into rendezvous with the other...my computer completely freezes, every time. They're pretty part heavy so I guess I got what was coming to me, but it was a tragedy. -snip-

Mother of God!!!!

What the . . . . . I . . . I give. words fail me.

Since Captain Sierra requested it over in the MMU thread, here is my old Hephaestus-Class Orbital Dockyard. Named after the blacksmith of the old gods, Hepahestus is used to service the fleet of IPV's (Interplanetary Vehicles) that are constantly ferrying goods across the Kerbol System, and the unmanned IPSV's (Interplanetary Survey Vehicles) which are constantly mapping, scanning, and deploying satellites across the solar system.

Pics: (IPSV Vanguard Pictured, following her first tour of the solar system deploying mapping/kethane scanning satellites)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Orbital docks are wonderful things. I'm building one right now which may or may not end up on youtube. There's also some blogs I wrote about it but it got put on hold. To make it practical for my scale of interplanetary craft, I had to weld the gantry, or else it would be totaling 650+ parts and be unusable.

Starpoint Gantry. Originally it totalled 550 parts assembled. Then the structural parts were welded together (thanks UbioZur!). In this pic it's 116 and ~125 tons.

9qu9.png

I've trimmed it down to under 100 and when all the trimming is done, I'm probably looking at, if my math is correct, 72 parts to orbit, still at ~125 tons.

The end goal is to keep the entire station under 300 parts so that 300 part station + 200 part interplanetary craft = somewhat still playable framerate. that gantry has to get placed in an 850 by 850 orbit this weekend (for me, that includes tomorrow too :sticktongue:) and I'd like t make that launch some youtube content.

Here's the core of a station I'll be trying to send to Duna or beyond. Currently, the craft consists of three modules (with a resupply vessel docked to it). It holds 18 Kerbals and a full suite of scientific instruments. Solar arrays and fuel tanks are coming soon, I'll post pictures of them when they're on.

It's name?

Corvus Station Mk. 2

(mk1 was made in 0.17.)

1FDiQce.jpg

Well, SpaceLab I blew up. We're not quite sure why. It was getting quite old, almost 3 years in orbit. A total of 19 expeditions, each about 50-60 days, were ran on it. The explosion took place during the OSS/CTV (Orbital Supply Shuttle & Crew Transfer Vehicle) Blackbird's approach towards the station on what was supposedly a simple crew-transfer (expedition 20/21) and resupply mission. The crew on the shuttle later tried to investigate the area where the station should have been but found no debris.

The explosion was later accredited to a strange quantum-space phenomenon that caused 5 copies of the station to be generated on the exact same place in space.

The incident is the most gruesome and heartbreaking accident to ever befall the Kerbal race. We shall mourn the loss of the 7-man crew: Billy-Bobger Kerman, Allo Kerman, Milrod Kerman, Luke Kerman, Alcan Kerman, Lanke Kerman and Gilemy Kerman.

This does not deter the Kerbal race's aspiration for the stars however and in memoriam Cabana Corp. has undertaken the construction of the Horizon Memorial Station. With upgraded equipment, it shall stand resolute at an exact 695,000km ±40~80m , 50.00° orbit (it took me a bunch of time to get that close).

screenshot0_by_akutou-d735tcv.png

This is the main "Horizon" module after being docked with a Unity docking hub, which was brought up by a refitted "Bell" CTV (Crew Transfer Vehicle) also carrying the first Expedition- Dovan Kerman, Sigdrin Kerman, Newmon Kerman and Kencan Kerman.

screenshot1_by_akutou-d735tc8.png

The CTV getting undocked for repositioning on the nadir docking port of the Hub in order to allow for later module attachments.

screenshot3_by_akutou-d7363bv.png

The "Bell" CTV after repositioning on the nadir port of the Hub.

Edited by BananaDealer

Hey, this is my first ever post!

I have to say that I really appreciate the organic look of some of the stations here. I generally over-plan my stations in the VAB, and as a result they look too clean. But anyhow, here is my contribution: one large-ish station, one small station, and a third station that kind of became a ship.

"Neighbourhood Watch" was my initial mission to launch and maintain a series of space stations around Kerbin, Mün, Minmus, Duna and Eve. All of the following stations were (at least initially) intended to be a part of that project.

Tycho LKO Station was supposed to be the core of the local three stations. Very small orbiters would dock with the station and transfer crew to larger shuttles (which would also refuel at Tycho Station) which would bring them to Mün and Minmus. While waiting for the stations around Kerbin's moons to be completed, though, Tycho Station has just sort of languished.

The station was named after the music I was listening to while designing it.

Sebert Münar Station was the second station of the program; brought to orbit in four pieces over three launches, it is much smaller than Tycho Station which required 11 (13 if you count two parts that were replaced due to design flaws). A fourth launch brought a tug to the station, which then brought the station to Mün, where it was supposed to remain as a parking lot for landers and a bus station for shuttles and crews destined for the Münar surface.

It soon became apparent that the fuel tank was grossly undersized, and there weren't enough docking ports. I had planned to move Sebert Station to Minmus, where it might be more appropriately sized, but before I could do that it was eaten by the Kraken.

Like Tycho Station, Sebert Station was also named after what I was listening to at the time, although some of you might argue about whether it constitutes 'music.'

Finally (for this post), "Arrakis Station" was being prepared ahead of a convenient transfer window to operate as a permanent base in orbit around Duna. It was initially going to have five large tanks to operate as a fuel depot, but when I realized that the asymmetrical docking ring and solar panels actually balanced each other perfectly, I toyed with the idea of putting engines on the ship.

Thus began one of my most involved construction projects yet. It's taken as many launches as Tycho station, but has also included rigorous testing along the way. Once the first four main pieces were up (the habitation core, the drive section core, the solar panel array and the docking ring) I took it on a short mission to Kerbin's two moons. After that success I finished out the drive and habitation sections and tested again. There was significant wobble, so I set out to strut the ship up using Kerbal Attachment System.

However, on the first EVA to install the first section of struts to the drive section, something glitched out and the main engine block exploded. I'm still not sure what happened, but I didn't autosave beforehand (why would I? I was just adding struts) so those engines are just gone now. Which makes the struts that much more important, as there's no longer any thrust going directly through the centre of the ship's spine.

Incidentally, the original plan only called for the four outside engine blocks to have two nuclear engines each. I upped that to three each on a whim, so we've essentially got the same amount of thrust in the end, which is half lucky.

While I was launching the first few pieces of the ship I was also marathoning episodes of 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown, which features several perpetually-returning comedians, most notably (to me) Joe Wilkinson. I had just finished raving to my cousin about how much I loved him, so I decided to name the ship in his honour.

No longer in use since I updated to 0.23 and decided to start a fresh Career save, but this here is "Station Ichieme" (It was originally two stations, "Ichiban" and "Deuxieme" - which mean "first" and "second" in Japanese and French respectively - which I later merged). At one point, with two ships docked, it had over 1400 parts (my framerate was lousy), although it had fewer when I took the picture:

statio10.jpg

P.S.: I used stock parts only, but I did a red-eye filter on the image afterward so I could use it as a desktop background without having bright orange all over the screen.

Here's my first 0.23 station, which serves as an LKO headquarters and (if I stop screwing around with SSTOs and warships) a refueling/dockyard station.

1rc481o3kfaq19k6g.jpg

It still needs a LOT of modules... but I don't want to utterly destroy my computer.

I do like my SSTO docking cross though... :D

Here's my first 0.23 station, which serves as an LKO headquarters and (if I stop screwing around with SSTOs and warships) a refueling/dockyard station.

http://www./convkey/cb82/1rc481o3kfaq19k6g.jpg

It still needs a LOT of modules... but I don't want to utterly destroy my computer.

I do like my SSTO docking cross though... :D

That's a horribly parts innefficient way to store kerbals! Try using the hitchhiker can instead.