What's your opinion about pirating?

thermobaric

Have you looked at the rules? Piracy is most certainly a no, no!

Also, solutions have been discussed to death... :D

I believe the general consensus was that it would harm users more than pirates who would break it anyway.

Yup, please read the rules, talk of piracy is not allowed here, be it about KSP or anything else.

Thread closed.

EDIT: Well, after re-reading the rules myself, my previous decision is kind of wrong, since this thread is more about "people who pirate".

Re-opening, but I will be watching this closely.

However, as RC1062 said, there's not much more than "DRMs are a pain for customers, pirates manage to break them anyway".

Edited by Cykyrios

Well, anything beyond the simplest DRM is just a PITA, yeah. Is piracy a good thing? Well, not really, and maybe. It's not as easy as saying that every download is a lost sale. Some of those will likely turn into sales, if your product is good and within the person's ability to pay for. Other times, it's kinda crazy how it can have the opposite effect to what is expected, as was the case with BSG in North America.

In any case, there's no excuse for pulling an Ubisoft and saddling your customers with anything remotely resembling Uplay. I dunno about others, but when I see devs like Squad, Kerberos Productions, CD Projekt RED, Stardock, or...the guys who made Cities In Motion, I WANT to give them my money. Mostly because I know I won't have to deal with the headaches DRM inevitably causes. The lack of copy protection is practically value added, a positive feature for customers.

As for a solution? The only solution that works is to make a good product, one that people will recognise as being good/great and wish to support. You can see this kind of behaviour with the fans of the companies I mentioned. Make a great product, people will want to give you their money. (Gods, just look at the premium Apple charges on hardware as an example.)

Edited by phoenix_ca

This has been discussed to death, here and elsewhere on the Internet, yes there are people who try to justify "Piracy", these people want to feel good about themselves for getting something without paying for it.

Not free, for there is free software, freeware and shareware, plus demo's are free, they just want it and they don't want to pay.

You can argue about "copying" rather than "taking" but no matter how you look at it, if you had a game you were selling and someone came along, copied your game and didn't pay you the price you asked for your hard work, you'd be pretty upset.

Look up copyright infringement, this is what piracy is, unless you are the copyright holder or are licensed by them, you do not have a right to have a copy.

You are a sad muppet if you pirate software, wait for a sale or buy a different, cheaper alternative, there really is no excuse.

I'm closing this.