[1.9.x - 1.12.x] BDArmory Plus (BDA+) v1.6.11.0 [2024-02-22]

DocNappers

how would I get the patriot turret to act more like the missile launchers in BDA-E? they just have one node for all missiles, yet the only part registered is the turret  which is nice for lower part count, but the patriot turret requires all missiles being attached individually and all of the individual missiles register for the part count.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Kerbal410 said:

is the submarine AI compatible with moist?

It just adds logic to the surface AI for more appropriate underwater behaviour (what it can engage, what depth it should aim for to engage, etc.).

Looking briefly at the moist mod, I think linking the ballast control to the pitch axis group and then adjusting MaxSlopeAngle to compensate might be enough.

17 hours ago, DocNappers said:

It just adds logic to the surface AI for more appropriate underwater behaviour (what it can engage, what depth it should aim for to engage, etc.).

Looking briefly at the moist mod, I think linking the ballast control to the pitch axis group and then adjusting MaxSlopeAngle to compensate might be enough.

I see.

anyway, any chance a submerge/surface timer could be added to the submarine AI (for realism purposes, submarines/submersibles do need to surface every once in a while), or a cruise depth setting and the ability to have combat depth/altitude at zero for craft with deck guns?

16 hours ago, Kerbal410 said:

anyway, any chance a submerge/surface timer could be added to the submarine AI (for realism purposes, submarines/submersibles do need to surface every once in a while), or a cruise depth setting and the ability to have combat depth/altitude at zero for craft with deck guns?

Wouldn't such a timer be measured in days or longer? I'm pretty sure submarines can be self-contained for fairly long periods.

SI has done most of the work on adding submarine behaviour to the surface AI, so he would know best. However, looking at the code, I think "Combat Altitude" is essentially what you're describing as the cruise depth, which looks to be basically equivalent to the "Default Altitude" in the pilot AI. That is, if it's not doing anything else then it should aim for that altitutude/depth. If it's engaging a target then it'll try to surface (or be near the surface) to fire weapons/missiles at flying/surface targets or match depths with other subs/boats. The code is still fairly beta though, so some values are hard-coded and some logic isn't finished.

On 9/30/2023 at 7:24 PM, KranSmith said:

Hello, are there any torpedo weapons that work with this version?

The Stingray torpedo in BDA and the Swordfish and Tigershark torpedoes in BDA-E should be working. There's been a bit of work in dev lately for the recent boats round in Scott Manley's discord server, so there's probably functionality that has been improved since the latest release.

8 hours ago, cat52 said:

So ive been playing around with this mod and ive been struggling to figure out how to use the flare/chaff refill boxes, anyone know how to use them?

Countermeasures don't flow like fuel/ammo and, as such, don't use refill boxes (which come from some other mod) (see https://github.com/BrettRyland/BDArmory/issues/482).

Instead, put multiple CM launchers on your craft with different priorities. The AI will use the highest priority CMs (of the appropriate type) first before proceeding to those of lower priority.

5 hours ago, DocNappers said:

Countermeasures don't flow like fuel/ammo and, as such, don't use refill boxes (which come from some other mod) (see https://github.com/BrettRyland/BDArmory/issues/482).

Instead, put multiple CM launchers on your craft with different priorities. The AI will use the highest priority CMs (of the appropriate type) first before proceeding to those of lower priority.

Ah okay, thx!

On 10/7/2023 at 12:36 AM, BlindSniper0393 said:

I have the same question and it disappeared after I reloaded my mods and restarted the game. Maybe a weird bug.

I quit and restarted the game so many times and it still doesn't work

10 hours ago, Natso said:

I quit and restarted the game so many times and it still doesn't work

At that time instead of facing this problem, I also got some serious errors that could easily crash my game. So I re-download the game and install the mods I need one by one using CKAN. Now I'm using the newest version of BDA+ so it seems that you DO need to check the version and clean up your Gamedata folder.

By the way, it sounds like the torpedos can only be activated and guided by the sonar pod.

ill just paste this here.. idk what to do.. ill reinstall the mod but idk how effective it will be

Loading has failed due to an unhandled error

Failure in subsystem : Part compilation
Part: #loc_BDArmory_part_F86RL_title (BDArmory/Parts/F-86Launcher/F86Launcher/BahaF86Launcher)

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at BDArmory.Modules.ModuleWeapon.GetInfo () [0x000bd] in <38b4873bf40744649b71b039f60a2faf>:0 
  at PartLoader.CompilePartInfo (AvailablePart newPartInfo, Part part) [0x0024e] in <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0 
  at (wrapper dynamic-method) PartLoader+<CompileParts>d__56.PartLoader+<CompileParts>d__56.MoveNext_Patch0(PartLoader/<CompileParts>d__56)
  at KSPCommunityFixes.Performance.KSPCFFastLoader+<FrameUnlockedCoroutine>d__62.MoveNext () [0x0006c] in <c08d6ea084ba41369dbf89fe1fba85db>:0 

On 10/14/2023 at 12:59 AM, thatfemboykano said:

ill just paste this here.. idk what to do.. ill reinstall the mod but idk how effective it will be

Loading has failed due to an unhandled error

Failure in subsystem : Part compilation
Part: #loc_BDArmory_part_F86RL_title (BDArmory/Parts/F-86Launcher/F86Launcher/BahaF86Launcher)

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at BDArmory.Modules.ModuleWeapon.GetInfo () [0x000bd] in <38b4873bf40744649b71b039f60a2faf>:0 
  at PartLoader.CompilePartInfo (AvailablePart newPartInfo, Part part) [0x0024e] in <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0 
  at (wrapper dynamic-method) PartLoader+<CompileParts>d__56.PartLoader+<CompileParts>d__56.MoveNext_Patch0(PartLoader/<CompileParts>d__56)
  at KSPCommunityFixes.Performance.KSPCFFastLoader+<FrameUnlockedCoroutine>d__62.MoveNext () [0x0006c] in <c08d6ea084ba41369dbf89fe1fba85db>:0 

That kind of error is usually due to a broken install. If reinstalling BDArmoryPlus doesn't fix it, then there's probably some other mod (e.g., BDAc) or extra DLL that's interfering with it, which you should be able to see in the first part of the KSP.log where it loads in the DLLs.

how (if possible) would I make a radar that has 120 degree FOV port/starboard? you know, like the radar on the JSTARS airborne ground surveillance platform? I would like something that I could use as a placeholder until the BDA-E developers add something like that.

also, does the sonar pod work in the air, or can air-to-surface radars detect splashed targets?

Edited by Kerbal410

Why do my planes keep 'extending'? I recently built a fighter that 'extended' on its target for 20km, completely disengaging itself from the fight. I had to manually turn the plane around to re-engage it in air combat. In the AI settings, I didn't see any specific sliders that control the plane's behavior during extension manoeuvres. I did find a toggle switch but that didn't do anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, this was one particular plane, all my others seem to work just fine.

12 minutes ago, space_otter said:

Why do my planes keep 'extending'? I recently built a fighter that 'extended' on its target for 20km, completely disengaging itself from the fight. I had to manually turn the plane around to re-engage it in air combat. In the AI settings, I didn't see any specific sliders that control the plane's behavior during extension manoeuvres. I did find a toggle switch but that didn't do anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, this was one particular plane, all my others seem to work just fine.

You can enable Debug AI and check the KSP.log for messages about why it started/stopped extending. Look for messages starting with "[BDArmory.BDModulePilotAI]:". If the plane is stuck in extending for a long time, there's also a Debug Extending button below the other debugging options if Debug AI is enabled that will log the current reason and details for why it's extending. Often, if a jet fighter is extending for a long distance, it's due to the DLZ range of misssiles that are not very manoueverable being very high (since they need the extra range to turn around).

On 10/21/2023 at 11:33 PM, Kerbal410 said:

how (if possible) would I make a radar that has 120 degree FOV port/starboard? you know, like the radar on the JSTARS airborne ground surveillance platform? I would like something that I could use as a placeholder until the BDA-E developers add something like that.

also, does the sonar pod work in the air, or can air-to-surface radars detect splashed targets?

Maybe with two boresight radars facing sideways each with FoV set to 120°?

Sonar only works when it's in water (or whatever liquid) and can only detect other vessels that are likewise in water. Air-to-ground radars can't detect splashed targets below -20m.

On 10/26/2023 at 12:34 PM, DocNappers said:

Maybe with two boresight radars facing sideways each with FoV set to 120°?

Sonar only works when it's in water (or whatever liquid) and can only detect other vessels that are likewise in water. Air-to-ground radars can't detect splashed targets below -20m.

ok, makes sense.

and is that -20m how low the air-to-ground radars can see, or is that how low they work? silly question on the second part, but worth asking lol.

1 hour ago, Kerbal410 said:

and is that -20m how low the air-to-ground radars can see, or is that how low they work? silly question on the second part, but worth asking lol.

How far they see. You can see the checks for adding a radar contact here https://github.com/BrettRyland/BDArmory/blob/master/BDArmory/Radar/VesselRadarData.cs#L1690. The -20m comes from a check for being considered "underwater" since some boats sit with their "altitude" some distance below the waterline. I'm not sure if there are any checks to disable a normal radar that is below water, so it could be that a sub with a standard surface-to-air radar might be able to detect planes (which should probably be fixed if it's the case).