KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

PS: Even though intel delayed most of the broad well line, they're rumored to be releasing the M series broad well chips for ultraportables by the end of this year with the broad well architecture. I suggest holding off for just a little longer for much better cpu and extreme gpu performance increases.

Also, I actually use a macbook pro 13 inch retina specced with 8 gb of ram and a 256 gb ssd, the late 2013 model. My desktop is a windows affair, and will remain so until I install ubuntu.

By the end of the year? :\ As nice as that sounds, I want one soon (article I read states they'll be out by Christmas and in full force some time in 2015). And there's no guarantee that the devices which pop up around its release will be what I'm looking for including price... I have to say I can't wait for that one, and if it's "that" good then I'll trade up. Err, sell the one I end up getting and buy that one, maybe not in that order. As much as I like the idea of waiting for a better piece of hardware to come out, I've been breaking myself of that habit because there's ALWAYS a better piece of hardware about to come out. Matter of fact, apparently me buying something is pretty much the best way to guarantee that the upgraded version comes out sooner. That and it takes a couple months to see what percentage of the units are defective in some stupid way (see below).

I pretty much just decided against the Asus tablet in the past several minutes. Apparently, about 35% of them or more have digitizer problems within a month or two that are related to a number of different problems (drivers, leaking displays, bad solder points, bad cables, etc) so it kind of makes the integrated pen pointless and I'm a bad gambler. That's the only reason I gave it a second look, the Dell one just isn't integrated into the tablet body. Oh well, you win some and you lose some. Maybe one of those Broadwell tablets will have an integrated pen with a functional digitizer and I can grab one :P

Edited by Duke23

Integration?

Yes, the way tablet and main PC work together. I expect that Microsoft, just like Apple, has made steps to ensure an as seamless experience as possible. The option to automatically exchange pictures between devices, that kind of stuff. It is all a bit of a gimmick, but Windows on both devices should open up a couple of possibilities.

I haven't looked into the differences between 8 and 8.1 so I can't comment on that one yet, but I really hope they don't go the Chromebook route or anything crazy like that in the future. I'd have to disown Microsoft for that one... My computer must be fully functional offline. Sure cloud is nice for budget machines like the DV8P because it's cheaper for the manufacturers and therefore us to put less memory in them, but cloud can't replace a good old card slot and it's slow as molasses for anything that would actually warrant storing remotely (for me at least). Maybe I'm just paranoid but I don't like the idea of broadcasting the contents of my computer to the internet for some intrepid hacker to stumble upon.

Yes, I am afraid of something like the Chromebook setup too since Microsoft announced so explicitly that they are/want to be a cloud-first company. With that simple statement, they are just denying what people use Microsoft products most for: local productivity. Of course, companies should be evolving and those in the technology sector doubly so, but it all seems rather vague. I just really do not hope they push, or rather force, us into cloud based productivity.

Edited by Camacha

Just a quick question. I'm upgrading to an intel i7 (3.7Ghz per core), and an Nvidia GTX 780. Streaming possible with this build? Don't worry about the internet speed with this build. What frames should i be expecting with this build as well?

Just a quick question. I'm upgrading to an intel i7 (3.7Ghz per core), and an Nvidia GTX 780. Streaming possible with this build? Don't worry about the internet speed with this build. What frames should i be expecting with this build as well?

Can you tell us the sku number of the cpu? Also, nvidia is about to release the maxwell based gtx 880 soon... not a good time to debate buying a high end gpu.

Well, let's put it this way: it is hardware at the top-end of consumer computers. If that would not be enough, barely anyone would be able to stream.

Well, let's put it this way: it is hardware at the top-end of consumer computers. If that would not be enough, barely anyone would be able to stream.

I'd still like to know what cpu he's referring to. A first gen i7 isn't going to cut it.

I'd still like to know what cpu he's referring to. A first gen i7 isn't going to cut it.

I think it might very well cut it. Anyway, those never did 3,7 GHz per core. These speeds are only done by the last generation (or maybe the one before), so any chip that does that will cut it for sure. However, the only i7 with 3,7 GHz specifically is socket 2011 and that is not a very common CPU - and it is the lowest tier chip on that platform so upgrading to it is not going to happen - so I am kind of curious what it is.

Edited by Camacha

I think it might very well cut it. Anyway, those never did 3,7 GHz per core. These speeds are only done by the last generation (or maybe the one before), so any chip that does that will cut it for sure. However, the only i7 with 3,7 GHz specifically is socket 2011 and that is not a very common CPU - and it is the lowest tier chip on that platform so upgrading to it is not going to happen - so I am kind of curious what it is.

As am I. I believe that we concur.

Also, he should tell us what type of motherboard chipset he's using. He should also tell us the cpu heatsink, and if he wants, what thermal compound he plans on using then.

Hi,

I would like to build a new PC but I dont want to mess with OC and I want to use the best possible i5 processor with a decent mobo. But I am very confused about selecting the mobo due to the fact that I want to run everything in stock configuration.

First I picked msi z87-g45 gaming but found that it is mostly used for OC. But I want a cheaper board.

My total budget for mobo and CPU is 350$

Can you guide me?

The fastest non-overclocking i5 would be the Intel Core i5-4690. Do you need to use the IGP or are you going to use a discrete GPU? Any other features you would like? Ports, slots, those kinds of thing?

Edited by Camacha

If you dont want to overclock you could stick with the cheapest mainboard for Socket 1150 unless you want special stuff. Even with OC the cheapest with a ZXX chipset is enough most times...

You could also consider the Intel Xeon E3-1231v3, an i7 with an i5 pricetag, without the IGPU and OC unlock...

Edited by Elthy

If you dont want to overclock you could stick with the cheapest mainboard for Socket 1150 unless you want special stuff.

It pays to look at the VRM components - cheaper boards often have less phases and/or cheaper components, which could mean less reliability in the long run. Cheap is okay, but if you go for the cheapest it is best to check out why that board is so cheap.

Can you tell us the sku number of the cpu? Also, nvidia is about to release the maxwell based gtx 880 soon... not a good time to debate buying a high end gpu.

I can't remember the sku, but i know its a fourth gen unlocked.

It pays to look at the VRM components - cheaper boards often have less phases and/or cheaper components, which could mean less reliability in the long run. Cheap is okay, but if you go for the cheapest it is best to check out why that board is so cheap.

Don't fall for the fallacy that more phases mean necessarily better overclockability. It also depends on the quality of the vrm phases.

Don't fall for the fallacy that more phases mean necessarily better overclockability. It also depends on the quality of the vrm phases.

I was not talking about overclocking (as Hancer is not planning on that) , I was talking about quality and reliability. The quality of the parts are important, and to a lesser degree the number of phases are too. As they each get loaded less/shorter when there are more, that in theory should mean a longer lifespan, less overheating and increased reliability.

Like I said, look at the board and find out what makes it cheap. If it turns out to be due to critical components being made out of cheap parts, leave it alone. A cheap board can be fine, but cheap components can be a disaster. Make sure you understand what you are dealing with.

The i5 mentioned is a pretty serious chip even when not overclocked, putting it on the cheapest board with phases that can barely power it is probably going to give you trouble at some point. Buy smart and buy something decent.

Edited by Camacha

I bought the cheapest board with a Z77 chipset for my i5 3570k, an Asrock Z77 Pro 3, and its working perfectly. I run the CPU at 4.2 GHZ and once went to 4.6 GHZ and i never had problems (but im just one person).

Im pretty sure that Intel makes sure that every mainboard with their chipsets works with every CPU since they would be the first to get blamed...

I bought the cheapest board with a Z77 chipset for my i5 3570k, an Asrock Z77 Pro 3, and its working perfectly. I run the CPU at 4.2 GHZ and once went to 4.6 GHZ and i never had problems (but im just one person).

Just like you say, N=1 :) And again, I am pushing to check out the quality of the (parts on the) board. Price is only a scalar.

Im pretty sure that Intel makes sure that every mainboard with their chipsets works with every CPU since they would be the first to get blamed...

It does not work that way, Intel has no say in that matter. It works, but whether it it optimal in the long run in another matter.

So, my parents promised me that I would be able to get a new, custom built computer this summer, but I have to get a list of links for the parts themselves. What parts would you recommend for a mid-to-high end gaming rig?

The specs that I would like computer to have:

Storage: >= 500 GB one ssd (256-os)and one sata (data drive)
RAM: >=16 GB
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4790 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.00 GHz) 5th generation
Monitors: min. 2 1280x1024 monitors
Graphics cards: nvidia geforce 770???
Output: 2 digital, at least 1 HDMI
Sound Card: Mid end
USB Ports: version 3.0, at least 6 ports
USB Cables: at least 1 spare USB extension cord
SD card functionality preferred

Goals in mind: be able to run KSP smoothly on max graphics; play Minecraft with max graphics at a constant 40+ fps

Two questions:

Should I wait for DDR4?

Would a Crucial MX100 256GB be a good pick for an SSD?

Some background. My current PC:

Made 2010.

Phenom II X3 710 @ 3.18 GHz. (Stock is 2.6, and I can probably OC further.)

4 GB DDR2.

Nvidia GT610.

1 TB and 500 GB hard drives.

It's that DDR2 that's the nub here. DDR3 was current when I made the PC, but I ended up with the older standard, and with only two slots on the mobo that's limited the RAM to 4 GB. Technically 8 might be possible, but ridiculously expensive. That "dead end" in terms of upgrade potential has become a problem, and my concern is that if I get a new PC using DD3 now I'll end up in the same situation a few years down the line.

On the other hand, I'm a bit worried I might be waiting a while. Intel's "enthusiast" processors will probably be pricier than I'd like, so if I want to wait for DDR4 I'll have to wait for it to come to the "regular" motherboards (ie along the lines of current Z97) and CPUs.

I can at least get components that aren't affected by motherboard/CPU/RAM choice now, and use them in my current PC then transfer them to my future one. For example My thinking is I'll split it four ways. 64 gigs for Linux (my main OS), 64 for a Windows install, 64 used as cache for mechanical hard drives, and 64 left for future expansion. Does this sound a reasonable idea and is the drive mentioned a good pick for that?

(And yes, I know that for gaming I should upgrade that graphics card, but since KSP's all I've played I'll do the drive first.)

its a 2011 socket.

So, what exactly do you expect to be doing that you cannot do already? The slowest socket 2011 chip should be capable of doing pretty much anything, so you need to have very specific wishes if upgrading is to make sense.

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4790 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.00 GHz) 5th generation

RAM: >=16 GB

What on earth do you need an i7 and 16 GB of RAM for? An i7 typically does nothing for gaming and is quite a lot more expensive than an i5, 16 GB of RAM is only useful when doing specific things. Your list sounds a lot like the biggest of everything, something inexperienced people tend to do.