Hi

Dardan3ele

36 minutes ago, Dardan3ele said:

Hey @James Kerman I'm fairly new to the game but I have few hours played and at least a day of afking and waiting in loading screens.

For me, the first milestone was designing a rocket that can make it to orbit. I find a 2 stage rocket to be easiest, use a high thrust engine optimised for sea level to initially lift the rocket and then an engine on the second stage that is optimised for vacuum. You can get this information in the VAB by right clicking on parts - engine efficiency is measured in ISP (meaning Specific impulse) and checking the stats for sea level (ASL) and vacuum (Vac). You will need a minimum of 3200Dv (delta V) to make orbit but it's best to pack a bit more if you intend to fly manually.

Once you launch you'll need to perform a gravity turn. This is the process of transitioning from vertical to horizontal and from there into orbit. You'll also get a bit of an advantage from Kerbin's rotation if you fly east over the water, and flying in this direction sets you up for what is known as a prograde orbit. Flying west from launch will put you into a retrograde orbit.

If you have any problems please ask questions, our community is friendly and helpful and many concepts of orbital mechanics, even simplified like in KSP, can be counterintuitive.

Oh and if you wish to ping someone type @ followed by the first few letters of a username and select the member from the drop down list that appears. It should appear blue in your draft.

Good luck and don't be afraid to fail, it's part of the KSP ethos!

the comment above is a joke. I also highly recommend RSS, but it is more like a final boss. If you managed to get to orbit, then congratulations! I’d recommend getting comfortable with how orbits and maneuvers work before going to the Mun. Even if you miss, you’ll land, somewhere, eventually. 

Question is, console or PC? Any console tips I can give you because as far as I know, only a minimal portion of players play console and it's very frustrating at first, but once you get used to it and all of its quirky little bugs, then you're on your way to being a pro! If you're on PC, I say good ventures to you and have fun with all the mods in the world after you've played the base game for, well I'd say at least two years so you get a real feel for the challenge! ALSO! Don't start on sandbox, it'll overwhelm you and it will be hard to go to career or science after you're so used to having every part at your disposal.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.