QoL Feature - Auto-Tracking Solar Panels?

Hi all,

Sorry if it's been mentioned already, but one of the headaches for me in KSP 1 were those times where your ship would rotate through it's travel path (typically happens with inclined orbits), and the solar panels would no longer face the sun. I'd go to do a maneuver and ugh, no power. I know that the vessel doesn't use power if you change focus to a different vessel or to the space center, for instance, but I don't want to switch focus just to cheat the game code.

I don't know if KSP 2 has plans for making power consumption (or any resource consumption)  happen at all times, focused or not, but having the ability to have the ship automatically rotate itself so that the solar panels are continually face-on with the sun would be a huge QoL improvement.

6 minutes ago, VelRahnKoon said:

Hi all,

Sorry if it's been mentioned already, but one of the headaches for me in KSP 1 were those times where your ship would rotate through it's travel path (typically happens with inclined orbits), and the solar panels would no longer face the sun. I'd go to do a maneuver and ugh, no power. I know that the vessel doesn't use power if you change focus to a different vessel or to the space center, for instance, but I don't want to switch focus just to cheat the game code.

I don't know if KSP 2 has plans for making power consumption (or any resource consumption)  happen at all times, focused or not, but having the ability to have the ship automatically rotate itself so that the solar panels are continually face-on with the sun would be a huge QoL improvement.

Ever play KSP with mods?

If so, try Persistent Rotation. It's not sun-tracking necessarily, but you can have the spacecraft always facing any of the maneuver nodes during timewarp.