Hangar and Cargo Bays

With the new much larger ship sizes, and the new mission profiles of flying a big mothership across to new planets and systems carrying an array of landers, I'm hoping we get some new larger and different shapped bays to carry stuff if we want it stored inside instead of only being attached on the outside of the vessel.

I'd love a hangar big enough for a couple moderately sized ships. Maybe even a few procedural bay parts in different shapes with adjustable sizes.

This might already be something that has been suggested or the team is working on. Maybe this could be used to help performance on the biggest of ships too, if landers and ships stored in closed bays are hidden, used only as mass for the bay. So the game doesn't need to render or calculate physics on the hidden parts and treat the ship inside as just extra mass for the bay.

7 hours ago, [email protected] said:

From the announcement videoes it look more like the big  open framework type of space dock.

For sure. I didn't mean a bay for the massive ships to be in, but bays to be on the massive ships. Not like spacedock for the enterprise to be in, but like a shuttle bay to be on the enterprise.

And yeh not just a mk1 bay. I'd love an XL size bay. I want an XXL size bay

On 12/20/2022 at 10:49 AM, Nazalassa said:

I think we all want Mk1 cargo bays.

Yes that would be nice, better than stacks of equipment bays. 
I also tend to use the short MK3 cargo bay as equipment bay for large ships, put probe cores, power science and science storage, spare parts and life support. with an medium one I also have an small rcs tug or even an small lander. 

In KSP 2 medium is  2.5 meter parts, 3.75 is large, then we have XL up to 3XL.

On 12/19/2022 at 4:15 PM, SolarAdmiral said:

Maybe even a few procedural bay parts in different shapes with adjustable sizes

That should be easy to do when you consider that periodic structural elements (such as actuators for the procedural door hinges) appear when you stretch long enough. What would remain difficult is the cargo shielding space. That can be left alone entirely if KSP2 has FAR-like aero model and doesn't do drag cubes.

On 12/19/2022 at 4:15 PM, SolarAdmiral said:

if landers and ships stored in closed bays are hidden, used only as mass for the bay. So the game doesn't need to render or calculate physics on the hidden parts and treat the ship inside as just extra mass for the bay.

Allista's Hangars mod does exactly this (rather, stored ships are unloaded, not merely hidden). It would be quite a welcome stock feature.