Does the idea of "Gas planet 2" still have any merit when it comes to ksp2?

Yellowburn10

On 12/24/2022 at 10:42 AM, KerikBalm said:

Yes, the idea has merit, no that doesn't mean it will be in the game.

Personally I feel like they would be making a huge mistake by leaving out exploration of outer solar systems and just going straight to interstellar after exploration of the planets from KSP1.

They did say something like that they wouldn't change the KSP1 system other than to update the bodies.

I hope there is enough wiggle room there to mean that the old KSP1 bodies are brought into KSP2, as the inner solar system, but that it doesn't preclude adding an outer solar system.

Really between things like outer planets, the kuiper belt, scattered disk, and port cloud, there is so much more to solar systems than is depicted in KSP1.

KSP2 should try to depict this, and visiting a Sedna analoge (or even a putative planet-9 analogue) would be a good intermediate step between going to Jool, and going to another star 

Agreed, and personally, I would have been in favour of an expanded home system for the kerbals in KSP2 and ditching all the interstellar stuff.  Plenty of new planets, and the kerbal equivalent of asteroids, trans-Neptunian objects and even Oort cloud bodies for players that really enjoy long journeys, could have provided plenty of new stuff to visit without needing to go to other star systems.

I honestly don't understand why the developers thought it was so important to keep the old home system from KSP1. New players wouldn't have cared, not having any point of comparison, and I doubt the existing player base would have  been overly concerned, judging from the number of threads here about Gas Planet 2 and the like. 

IMO, interstellar travel with rockets (even the more speculative rockets that KSP will have) is silly or, more charitably, opens up a whole can of issues that I doubt that KSP2 will address in any particularly deep manner, given that including 'un fun' stuff like life support remains a contentious issue around here.

But it is what it is.

15 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

It seems like everyone suggesting that the Kerbol system should have the old ideas from Squad are thinking that KSP2 is going to be KSP version 2, not a sequel to KSP. 

No

We have been saying that expanding the kerbal's home system to include a proper outer solar system is a viable and good idea.

Scattered disk and kuiper belt objects, perhaps even an Oort cloud - this goes far beyond KSP 1 ideas for a second gas giant.

As for specific planet ideas left over from Nova Silisko - I could take them or leave them. What I said is that the idea is still viable 

6 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

No

We have been saying that expanding the kerbal's home system to include a proper outer solar system is a viable and good idea.

Scattered disk and kuiper belt objects, perhaps even an Oort cloud - this goes far beyond KSP 1 ideas for a second gas giant.

As for specific planet ideas left over from Nova Silisko - I could take them or leave them. What I said is that the idea is still viable 

But why would Intercept add old DEAD ideas from Squad? They know most players haven't visited most of the planets outside of the Kerbin system. Why add to the Kerbol system at this point. Really why? Because the promises and ideas from 8-10 years ago says so? No. If Squad did add and remove them later, I wouldn't be arguing against the addition of the these missing planets. But they where never added to the game or the ideas taken seriously enough for Squad to act on them. They are just random thoughts and ideas. Nothing more.

That's the down side of openly talking about ideas and why Intercept is so tight lipped about what they are thinking and working on. Because players will take every word to heart and if anything is missed, these players with take any opportunity to remind and then attack the devs for every decision that doesn't include or against said features.

Even now, players are STILL taking what the Squad said to heart for KSP2 and Squad isn't even developing it. Intercept is developing it and is free from the musings Squad. 

Edited by shdwlrd
Typo

4 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

But why would Intercept add old DEAD ideas from Squad?

GP2 was just an idea of one squad employee, and it likely wasn't implemented because of limited resources. Now they have more.

Furthermore, adding more planets/bodies beyond Jool is hardly a Squad specific idea, and is certainly not dead 

They know most players haven't visited most of the planets outside of the Kerbin system. Why add to the Kerbol system at this point.

Well, using that reasoning, we certainly shouldn't have entirely new solar systems that are orders of magnitude farther away from Kerbin - yet we are getting that 

Really why? Because the promises and ideas from 8-10 years ago says so?

No, have you somehow missed all the arguments that have been made for why an outer solar system analogue would be desirable?

Even from a gameplay perspective, having Sedna/ kuiper belt/ Oort cloud analogues would provide an intermediate challenge before going interstellar. The learning curve jump to interstellar would be a bit softer.

Even now, players are STILL taking what the Squad said to heart for KSP2 and Squad isn't even developing it. Intercept is developing it and is free from the musings Squad. 

Again, it's not about completing Nova's concepts.

The question was if they were viable.

I say they are viable, along with many other concepts that would expand the Kerbal's home system.

I am not saying they must keep every idea that Nova ever expressed.

In fact, I am expressing a view in which more modification to Squad's original system is acceptable.

I wouldn't even complain if they took the oceans away from Eve, and made Eve not purple.

I am not hanging on old words of "Squad" or elevating Squads version of the system to scripture that must not be altered.

I want an outer solar system for reasons that have nothing to do with what Squad or one of it's employees said.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m bumping this thread due to new speculative evidence from today’s Mun Arch Easter Egg that there is, in fact, an 8th planet in the Kerbolar System. 

If the theory holds, what would we like from this planet? It’s going to be pretty far out there. Presumably Glummo is our Saturn analogue, so I’d be surprised if it’s anything too similar. Should it be a Uranus/Neptune analogue? A small terrestrial body like Titan or Pluto? A comet, asteroid, or KBO? Something already revealed in the trailers? A massive rogue planet? Or something even weirder?

On 1/11/2023 at 12:03 PM, TheTennesseeFireman said:

I’m bumping this thread due to new speculative evidence from today’s Mun Arch Easter Egg that there is, in fact, an 8th planet in the Kerbolar System. 

If the theory holds, what would we like from this planet? It’s going to be pretty far out there. Presumably Glummo is our Saturn analogue, so I’d be surprised if it’s anything too similar. Should it be a Uranus/Neptune analogue? A small terrestrial body like Titan or Pluto? A comet, asteroid, or KBO? Something already revealed in the trailers? A massive rogue planet? Or something even weirder?

Beat me to the bump! I wasn't really aware of the speculation of an 8th planet from this new mun anomaly until today, but if any of it is true, then perhaps the idea isn't as dead as I initially thought!

On 1/12/2023 at 2:05 PM, Yellowburn10 said:

Beat me to the bump! I wasn't really aware of the speculation of an 8th planet from this new mun anomaly until today, but if any of it is true, then perhaps the idea isn't as dead as I initially thought!

I fail to see how a partial schematic of the kerbal's system, in which planets are presumably alternating from the left to right side of "Kerbol" (as judged by the lack of Moho, Kerbin, and Dres, and Eeloo, but the presence of Eve, Duna, and Jool) indicates that there is an 8th planet.

Why can't there just be 4 on one side, and 3 on the other

Guys, their is little point in arguing about this. It is what it is, a abject in KSP1 that indicates the solar system in KSP1, and may be a tease to KSP2.

KSP2 is not a clone of KSP 1.

it will have new content that was not in KSP 1.

if that content includes more planets, while cloning in old, that’s fine. It’s not like KSP1 did not add in new content as they built it.

2 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

I fail to see how a partial schematic of the kerbal's system, in which planets are presumably alternating from the left to right side of "Kerbol" (as judged by the lack of Moho, Kerbin, and Dres, and Eeloo, but the presence of Eve, Duna, and Jool) indicates that there is an 8th planet.

Why can't there just be 4 on one side, and 3 on the other

This thing was there to generate hype and intrigue. Like its clearly there to tease at something, if its literally just a map of the kerbol system then like that would be terrible marketing and what would be the point, we already know what the kerbol system is like. Like this wasnt just some arbitrary decision they made, this (especially when you consider the karacebo message) is a clear attempt to make people wonder what will happen next. They're definitely teasing something. I dont know what they would be teasing in orbit of Kerbol that isnt another planet.

14 hours ago, Strawberry said:

They're definitely teasing something. I dont know what they would be teasing in orbit of Kerbol that isnt another planet.

Could be anything...

Maybe it's like the voyager plaque, trying to depict where the builders are from and where they went.

Could be that the "8th planet" gas moved to another solar system in KSP2

15 hours ago, Drakenred65 said:

if that content includes more planets, while cloning in old, that’s fine. It’s not like KSP1 did not add in new content as they built it.

As I said in previous posts, I would be happy if they kept the old KSP1 planets, and added some new ones to the Kerbal system.

I just don't think that this teaser is specific enough to be evidence for the claim

7 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Could be anything...

Maybe it's like the voyager plaque, trying to depict where the builders are from and where they went.

Could be that the "8th planet" gas moved to another solar system in KSP2

As I said in previous posts, I would be happy if they kept the old KSP1 planets, and added some new ones to the Kerbal system.

I just don't think that this teaser is specific enough to be evidence for the claim

Personally I agree with the untrimmed parts . Unless there was part of the arch you could camera exploit that showed an unknown orbit which , it aparentyly doesn’t….