Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 7 - Recording Rockets

7 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

No, I just confirmed it is the Kerbolar system. If you camera clip, you can confirm that the one to the right of the yellow one is Jool. It green with 5 moons. 

Just slam another big probe into it!

And where is kerbol...

Unless, they removed moho because it was swallowed by kerbol?

Kerbin is missing too

Hmmm.....

Unless there on the other side

More planets in the kerbol system confirmed?

All the way down the arch maybe?

the mun could also be a spacecraft maybe.

27 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

I don't get why that should limit KSP 2's capacity for storytelling?

25 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

"A dinosaur probably once defecated on the island we've made landfall on, Larry, but don't let it soil the feeling of discovery!"

If you could keep your responses to my posts consolidated, that'd be great, thanks Bej.

You're right about your first response. Humankind's history doesn't need to dictate KSP2's storytelling capacity. I'm sure you know better than I that the existence of a spacefaring species is one of the most improbable anomalies in the universe. Adding the presence of a second one? Even more so.

You're responding to my opinions, which is all that they are, and that's fine. Just like I'm usually compelled to respond to yours. I simply had the hope that we'd finally have a space game that leaned into the sobering reality that what we have here on Earth is so incredibly rare that the human race likely goes extinct before it ever discovers the presence of another spacefaring species in the universe. 

Your second response is... meh. Even just a couple extra seconds of thought would have enlightened you that I mean a sentient being setting foot for the first time on some faraway celestial body somewhere. Not to mention, life, in any form, is incredibly rare. So, while humorous, Larry's situation is so highly improbable to the point of near impossibility that it's kind of meaningless to me what you're describing. I'm simply conveying my feelings and personality. The exploratory mindset that I have is one major role in why KSP is my all-time favorite game. As I said, being the first to set foot somewhere is a highly inspiring event to me. That feeling is diminished to some degree as I view the feature video today. That's all.

16 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Yeah... it's funny how only now, of all the possible times people could have started complaining about alien anomalies, we see this now. They draw the line at a funny star system map and not a literal dead alien or SSTV broadcasts.

Again, throw me a bone would you? I can't keep up with you.

You're right, I should've spoken up sooner. I'm not a fan of the SSTV broadcasts either, if it's an inconsistency in my thoughts that you're looking for. The dead kraken never bothered me because I received it as fun nod to the developmental bugs in the game. Nor the whale skeleton. Nor the Roadster. Nor the Duna face. Because they were all simple nods to humanity's own existence. The SSTV and now the arch... these are different. These are canonical references to something that hasn't been observed in our own universe with one incredibly improbable exception. That's where the line is for me, apparently.

Edited by Ahres
Had a factually incorrect sentence.

For all of the opining that I've done on this thread I don't want to lose sight of the fact that we finally got a Feature Video that was all about Howard's work. I'm super stoked about this and have been waiting for it ever since the game's announcement. Can't wait for the Soundtrack Feature Video!!

I think it is a map of the Kerbolar system, just that the other planets are on the other side of the big yellow light (kerbol). It would make sense that the purple one is Eve with one moon so gilly, the next one would be Duna with Ike and the next one if the clipping part is true and also the colour fits would be jool. So in my opinion the other planets would be on the other side that is covered: Moho, Kerbin and Dres.

You can see also  that after each circle there is a vertical line that is empty which i think is part of the orbit of the planet that is inbetween

Edited by Alexflier

39 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

No, I just confirmed it is the Kerbolar system. If you camera clip, you can confirm that the one to the right of the yellow one is Jool. It green with 5 moons. 

yeah i can already see that. still weird. incomplete. the model just cuts off after moho on the left and jool on the right.
image.png?width=1203&height=1340image.png

I’m just going to stay optimistic.  It could be that the team has whomped up some sort of storyline straight off the front page of the National Enquirer, but hopefully they’ll keep the anomalies tastefully restrained peripheral elements as opposed to making them central to the gameplay.  I’m solidly on the Kerbals First and Only side.

On the positive side, did anybody notice the Beta gameplay stamp?

Edited by Wheehaw Kerman

11 minutes ago, Ahres said:

Your second response is... meh. Even just a couple extra seconds of thought would have enlightened you that I mean a sentient being setting foot for the first time on some faraway celestial body somewhere. Not to mention, life, in any form, is incredibly rare. So, while humorous, Larry's situation is so highly improbable to the point of near impossibility that it's kind of meaningless to me what you're describing. I'm simply conveying my feelings and personality. The exploratory mindset that I have is one major role in why KSP is my all-time favorite game. As I said, being the first to set foot somewhere is a highly inspiring event to me. That feeling is diminished to some degree as I view the feature video today. That's all.

I just don't share the same urge to be the first in whatever I'm doing. I don't let the thought of (absent from the game, but no doubt canonical) animals walking around Mount K2 diminish the achievement of managing to drop a Kerbal on it and plant a flag there, all while making sure the aircraft they jumped from doesn't leave the Kerbal's physics range until they've landed and can safely be left.

14 minutes ago, Ahres said:

You're right, I should've spoken up sooner. I'm not a fan of the SSTV broadcasts either, if it's an inconsistency in my thoughts that you're looking for. The dead kraken never bothered me because I received it as fun nod to the developmental bugs in the game. Nor the whale skeleton. Nor the Roadster. Nor the Duna face. Because they were all simple nods to humanity's own existence. The SSTV and now the arch... these are different. These are canonical references to something that hasn't been observed in our own universe with one incredibly improbable exception. That's where the line is for me, apparently.

There's undoubtedly a fine line to be drawn. KSP 2 shouldn't overstep whatever stories the player comes up with, but at the same time there's still room for some storytelling. The story could just be an elaborate easter egg, as long as it's something that can be ignored easily.

19 minutes ago, Drakenred65 said:

for a map of the solar system it’s , odd.
No Moho.?

No Kerbin? Or if number 2 is Duna  why yellow? 

in other words ?..?.,?

It's a map, possibly confirming the existence of another celestial body in the Kerbal system.

Sol is in the middle at the top.

The first planet (Moho) is hidden one to the left of the center, in the first orbit.

The second planet (Eve, with one moon) is shown one to the right of the center, in the second orbit.

The third planet (Kerbin) is hidden two to the left of the center, in the third orbit.

The fourth planet (Duna, with one moon) is shown two to the right of the center, in the fourth orbit.

The fifth planet (Dres) is hidden three to the left of the center, in the fifth orbit.

The sixth planet (Jool) is hidden three to the right of the center, in the sixth orbit. This can be seen with clipping. 

The seventh planet (Eeloo) is hidden four to the left of the center, in the seventh orbit.

A potential eighth planet (?) would be hidden four to the right of the center, in the eighth orbit.

Edited by Talka

55 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Duna is red tho, not yellow... 

@Ghostii_Space Any hints? Are the circles the Kerbolar planets and their moons? 

I believe they are, it is Kerbol system. But why Kerbol system was chosen for this perfomance, maybe there will be something extremelly new (planet or celestial body)? If this is Kerbol system, than there are no spoilers, but as Ghostii_Space said there are spoilers. I'm on hype of course becuase of Mun arch. As developers said there will be some surprises in KSP2 that they don't like to spoil

Just now, Bej Kerman said:

I just don't share the same urge to be the first in whatever I'm doing. I don't let the thought of (absent from the game, but no doubt canonical) animals walking around Mount K2 diminish the achievement of managing to drop a Kerbal on it and plant a flag there, all while making sure the aircraft they jumped from doesn't leave the Kerbal's physics range until they've landed and can safely be left.

There's undoubtedly a fine line to be drawn. KSP 2 shouldn't overstep whatever stories the player comes up with, but at the same time there's still room for some storytelling. The story could just be an elaborate easter egg, as long as it's something that can be ignored easily.

Oh whoa! I've been making sure I've checked off all the boxes for things that I need to do in KSP1 before KSP2 releases and I thought I had them covered! But I haven't actually taken the time to plant a flag on top of K2! I'm so glad you mentioned that haha.

Thanks for being understanding, it's very appreciated. Especially coming from you, where we've spared some in the past. I'd come to the middle and agree with you that an elaborate easter egg would be fun, with the care being taken that it's at least somewhat discrete. The equatorial mun arch is getting close to being really quite prominent. I mean, you can see the thing from orbit.... But I haven't thought long enough about it to opine what would be an acceptable degree of noticeability for an elaborate easter egg that spans interstellar distances. I should note that I have the trust in Nate and the Team to get that nailed down really well, so I'm not particularly worried.

The other two arches are normal, and I crashed into the anomalous one, it didn't do anything. I was only going 300m/s with a near Empty Kerbal X though, so more momentum may be required if it is destructable.

It appears to go left-right-left-right in planetary order, but about half of it is cut off. It is possible that this is because they are saving some for later.

according to this theory it would go Eeloo-Dres-Kerbin-Moho-Sun-Eve-Duna-Jool.

Now as to why Duna is yellow... Perhaps it used to be habitable and instead of green plants they had yellow plants? Entire planet of sunflowers? This is most likely very a very ancient piece of (technology? art?).

Withholding theories on what exactly it is until we see more of it.

Has anyone cracked the code at the end of the video yet? I'll give it a go but I would have to learn how the previous ones were done before starting.

This was really interesting to see! Glad to see other parts of the team doing their best. I am really looking forward to hearing the soundtrack for the game though. The royalty-free music used in the original game was nice, but it got repetitive after a while. Not much longer to go!

Too much talk about a funky little teaser, not enough talk about how incredible this all sounds! Honestly it fixes a problem I didn’t realize I had with KSP1 in that rocket launches sometimes didn’t feel impactful enough for how powerful they were. Absolutely love the time and investment you’ve put into this. Have to wonder what the fancy futuristic engines are going to sound like…

39 minutes ago, Talka said:

It's a map, possibly confirming the existence of another celestial body in the Kerbal system.

Sol is in the middle at the top.

The first planet (Moho) is hidden one to the left of the center, in the first orbit.

The second planet (Eve, with one moon) is shown one to the right of the center, in the second orbit.

The third planet (Kerbin) is hidden two to the left of the center, in the third orbit.

The fourth planet (Duna, with one moon) is shown two to the right of the center, in the fourth orbit.

The fifth planet (Dres) is hidden three to the left of the center, in the fifth orbit.

The sixth planet (Jool) is hidden three to the right of the center, in the sixth orbit. This can be seen with clipping. 

The seventh planet (Eeloo) is hidden four to the left of the center, in the seventh orbit.

A potential eighth planet (?) would be hidden four to the right of the center, in the eighth orbit.

Picture for clarity: 

ErHqBUD.png

My guess is that as we get closer to the Early Access launch date on Feb 24, more and more of this structure will reveal itself, culminating in the revelation of an eighth planet in the Kerbal system available in KSP2 Early Access at launch.

5 minutes ago, Talka said:

Picture for clarity: 

ErHqBUD.png

My guess is that as we get closer to the Early Access launch date on Feb 24, more and more of this structure will reveal itself, culminating in the revelation of an eighth planet in the Kerbal system available in KSP2 Early Access at launch.

This was also my guess, considering a new planet was also teased in the third feature video:

Just now, Vl3d said:

It's clearly not a map of the Kerbollar system.

With what's visible on the surface, I was also sceptical, but with camera clipping revealing that the green light at the right has five satellites, I now think it's pretty incontrovertibly a map of the Kerbolar system.

10 minutes ago, Talka said:

Picture for clarity: 

ErHqBUD.png

I would say that is a reasonable guess.

Showing the exact same solar system would be rather anti-climactic, so I assume it is something like that.

1 hour ago, Ghostii_Space said:

Spoilers!! Just have to wait for KSP2 ;)

Note scribbling intensifies.

22 minutes ago, Talka said:

Picture for clarity: 

ErHqBUD.png

My theory might be correct!

Edited by Ryaja
Spelling errors and auto correct

4 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

It clearly is. Giant purple circle with 1 circle is clearly Eve and the giant green circle with 5 other circles is clearly Jool and its moons. 

7 minutes ago, Ashandalar said:

This was also my guess, considering a new planet was also teased in the third feature video:

That's a reference to Eeloo. Count the planets. No new planet has been teased.

3 minutes ago, GoldForest said:
10 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

It clearly is. Giant purple circle with 1 circle is clearly Eve and the giant green circle with 5 other circles is clearly Jool and its moons.

You guys are just repeating what's familiar. That's not the meaning of the object. See the decoded message!