How to begin to mod

emord-nillap

As the title says, I would like to learn more about modding ksp. I have very little prior experience (except for a bit of python) so I was wondering if there is like a starter guide, or something of the sorts that could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

How to create a mod, or how to use a mod?

If you want to use mods, the best place to start is CKAN which does most of the hard work for you and usually does it right- just pick the mods you want and it’ll download and add them to your KSP along with their dependencies (mods required for other mods to work). Not everything is on CKAN, but in most of those cases you should either merge the mod’s GameData folder with KSP/GameData or copy the mod folders directly into KSP/GameData. Make sure you only ever have one version of ModuleManager.dll, the newest one. If you have a GameData inside KSP/GameData, you’ve done it wrong.

To create a mod, it depends on what you want to make: tweaking/copying existing parts can be done relatively easily with ModuleManager patches, making new parts is a lot harder unless you use an existing part model; likewise tweaking existing planets is a lot easier than making a new planet altogether. In both cases you can learn a lot by looking at existing mods to see what they do, and breaking them. There are mod-making guides in the Add-Ons section of the forum that could help you get started.

On 1/17/2023 at 2:59 AM, emord-nillap said:

As the title says, I would like to learn more about modding ksp. I have very little prior experience (except for a bit of python) so I was wondering if there is like a starter guide, or something of the sorts that could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

I've done some mod development (18 projects, and contributed to many more) so if you have any questions, I can help you or point you in the right way :)

Thanks everyone!

I've been actually been playing KSP for a while, but let's just say a ps4 is a very different experience. After ps4, I played on a laptop that would lag to 30 fps at 50 parts. I've only just bought my first gaming pc, and as you can imagine, its like playing a new game. 

I was already used to modding my game on the laptop (which is probably why it ran so badly), I was more asking about creating mods.