[1.12] Other Worlds - A Story and Planet Mod

Pkmniako

New version 0.1.5 with some bugfixes:

• Story mode
    • Some signals' ranges made bigger
  • Fixes
    • Applied new kopernicus settings for OnDemand loading and handling of far away colliders
    • Fixed generated waypoints with the custom UI missing a space
    • Rise range of sprite core antenna to reach the star (Between 2017 and now something happened)
    • Fixed Vassa not having clouds when using newer version of the Volumetric Clouds mod

It should be public on CKAN in a few minutes after posting this message

On 3/9/2024 at 7:27 PM, Fizzlebop Smith said:

This recommends the Far Future and near future. I am use to a couple of the other mods that offer faster travel and was wondering if the outer worlds would be playable.

I started to get the various futures mods but it added quite a number in total with dependencies  and the far future isn't currently managed. I have a significant number of parts mods that i have curated and am comfortable with. Just curious if this was do able. I assume that if specific aspects were tied to these parts, like missions and such it would be required.

If strongly recommended means this will be very difficult with FTL and warp drive i have a vanilla install i use for custom mod installs and can work that up.

Looking forward to trying it one way or the other

As long as it gives you engines with high ISPs with which you can work around the challenges of this mod, it will be enough. I'm myself trying to get there stock, which is not the intended way, but even then it should be possible. The recommendation for FFT or similar mods is just so people don't have to engineer brutal ships to play the mod.

On 3/20/2024 at 9:56 AM, Tecorian said:

So, i started this mod last weekend and got stucked an certain point.

Reveal hidden contents

System is not too far away, so i used some saltwater-engines and a small fleet (4 ships with attached landing-units) to get there - no problem for this point.

Also, it was easy to find the 1st signal on Vessa.

So i started to this little moon to get the next location/signal whatever.

At the 1st time, these waypoints where in the orbit of C2-1 - no chance to get them anyway.

So i did a reload and these waypoints where on the surface.

But at non of these waypoints i found anything at all, never getting 100% signal at none of these points

I have no hind at all, if i have to fly from wp to wp or if this doesn´t matter and if so, which one is the starting wp and in which order i have to fly to them.

Spoiler

Waypoints generated in the UI will save your current point and what signal strength it had at that point. They don't show where the signal is located. You have to search for it by seeking for higher and higher signal strengths.

On 3/27/2024 at 9:19 PM, Taco Salad said:

Two questions, both probably dumb. Does this have Space Dust support, or any plans for it? It'd be cool to run a full Avatar-like mission there and back. 

And does in game music volume setting affect the music added by this game. I really don't want to miss it, but I can also only handle so much Kevin Macleod.

I am anything but familiarized with Space Dust, so no, the mod has no support for it nor plans for it. Also yes, the mod's music is affected by the game's own music volume slider, so have fun listening to the songs!

On 3/15/2024 at 6:18 AM, Publius Kerman said:

Any plans for Kerbalism support?

Same as Taco Salad, I have never used the mod, except I think for an hour or so when it first released, so I don't have any idea how I would give it support

On 2/18/2024 at 3:04 AM, Geblag.Xelvari said:

So cool.

On 3/9/2024 at 6:55 PM, JuanitosGG said:

This looks amazing!!! How have I not seen this mod before? Downloading rn!! :D

On 3/21/2024 at 5:59 AM, Raf said:

Very amazing planet mod and it looks so beautiful

Thank you! :D

22 minutes ago, Pkmniako said:

Hide contents

Waypoints generated in the UI will save your current point and what signal strength it had at that point. They don't show where the signal is located. You have to search for it by seeking for higher and higher signal strengths.

So i have this understood correctly - hope so.

Spoiler

Maine Theme for me was, that in seems to be, that these signals are below the surface of this little moon.

Regardless how slow an intensive i have seached, i always ended up in a big crater where the signal was strongest.

Moving in any directory result in a weaker signaled

As i wrote, with your update i try this again.

The most common error is sitting in front of the monitor - i know that :D

• 4 weeks later...

when i tried to  scan Vassa as a test i got these errors in KSP.log 

[ERR 16:53:12.091] Exception handling event onPlanetariumTargetChange in class KnowledgeBase:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ResourceMap.GetResourceItemList (HarvestTypes harvest, CelestialBody body) [0x001e2] in <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0 
  at KSP.UI.Screens.KbApp_PlanetResources.CreateResourceList () [0x0005a] in <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0 
  at KSP.UI.Screens.KbApp_PlanetResources.ActivateApp (MapObject target) [0x00092] in <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0 
  at KSP.UI.Screens.KnowledgeBase.ActivateApps (KSP.UI.Screens.KnowledgeBase+KbTargetType targetType, MapObject target) [0x000fa] in <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0 
  at KSP.UI.Screens.KnowledgeBase.OnMapFocusChange (MapObject target) [0x000f4] in <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0 
  at EventData`1[T].Fire (T data) [0x000b0] in <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0 

[EXC 16:53:12.093] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	ResourceMap.GetResourceItemList (HarvestTypes harvest, CelestialBody body) (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	KSP.UI.Screens.KbApp_PlanetResources.CreateResourceList () (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	KSP.UI.Screens.KbApp_PlanetResources.ActivateApp (MapObject target) (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	KSP.UI.Screens.KnowledgeBase.ActivateApps (KSP.UI.Screens.KnowledgeBase+KbTargetType targetType, MapObject target) (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	KSP.UI.Screens.KnowledgeBase.OnMapFocusChange (MapObject target) (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	EventData`1[T].Fire (T data) (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
	EventData`1:Fire(MapObject)
	PlanetariumCamera:SetTarget(MapObject)
	PlanetariumCamera:LateUpdate()

Afterwards i checked the resource files for some planets and they have 0 for all resources except ore

So Community resource pack compatiblity needs updating because without ISRU, exploration of cercani system would be pretty hard

or i did something incorrectly and i need to fix it

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A config for Principia (tested 700 yrs):

• Prima-Secunda: Principia doesn’t understand the fake barycenter planet, so Secunda is now a moon of Prima. The actual orbits of the bodies should be unaffected, only UI will differ.
  • Vassa: Tidally locked bodies can’t really have satellites, so C2-1 is made to orbit Cercani.
  • Pequar: C3-1 moved outward to prevent it from crashing into Pequar, Disole moved outward to accommodate it.
  • Nienna: Most bodies moved outward, C4-1 moved inward with eccentricity and inclination reduced.
Spoiler
@Kopernicus:AFTER[OtherWorldsReboot]:NEEDS[Principia]
{
	// Prima-Secunda
	-Body[PrimaSecunda] {}
	@Body[Prima]
	{
		@Orbit
		{
			%referenceBody = OWR/Cercani
			%inclination = 4.12
			%eccentricity = 0.05
			%semiMajorAxis = 40527523960
			%longitudeOfAscendingNode = 360
			%argumentOfPeriapsis = 283
			%meanAnomalyAtEpochD = 299
			%epoch = 0
		}
	}
	@Body[Secunda]
	{
		@Orbit
		{
			%referenceBody = OWR/Prima
			%semiMajorAxis = 2520000
		}
	}

// Vassa
	@Body[C2-1]
	{
		@Orbit
		{
			%referenceBody = OWR/Cercani
			%semiMajorAxis = 12113854200
		}
	}

// Pequar
	@Body[C3-1]
	{
		@Orbit
		{
			%semiMajorAxis = 9964800
		}
	}
	@Body[Disole]
	{
		@Orbit
		{
			%semiMajorAxis = 18684000
		}
	}

// Nienna
	@Body[Kevari]
	{
		@Orbit
		{
			%semiMajorAxis = 10945200
		}
	}
	@Body[Crons]
	{
		@Orbit
		{
			%semiMajorAxis = 46428000
		}
	}
	@Body[C4-2]
	{
		@Orbit
		{
			%semiMajorAxis = 90837890
		}
	}
	@Body[Niko]
	{
		@Orbit
		{
			%semiMajorAxis = 120940800
		}
	}
	@Body[C4-1]
	{
		@Orbit
		{
			%semiMajorAxis = 170830100
			%inclination = 158.5
			%eccentricity = 0.32
		}
	}
}
@CONTRACT_TYPE[*]:AFTER[OtherWorldsReboot]:NEEDS[Principia]
{
	@PARAMETER[*]:HAS[#targetBody[PrimaSecunda]]
	{
		@targetBody = Prima
	}
}

Edited by J-B
Fix contracts again

• 2 weeks later...

how do you get around on starting the story mode? I've fully installed the mod, but there's really isn't a direction I should go from what I see in game, I can see the system from the KSC, but other than that I don't really know how to start it 

• 5 weeks later...

This mod has given me so much motivation and rejuvenated the game for me. I've been playing since 2013 so that's really saying something. Should we expect an update for the upcoming parallax re-write?