Please bring back the "snap grid" of KSP1

In KSP-1 when building a craft you could place parts freely, but if you were to use the move or rotate tool on them they would all snap to some form of universal "grid" that was aligned to your craft. This grid was a global grid, but could be toggled to use a local grid aligned to your selected part, using a button below the move and rotate tools. This was a very useful feature for lining objects up in building a craft, which in KSP2 can be somewhat frustrating as things won't rotate quite to 0 using the snap options, or parts wont quite line up end to end. While turning off snapping and moving the parts freely can get you close, its very difficult to do perfectly due to lack of the snapping, or some kind of angle or distance measurement tool to tell you the rotation or location of the object.

Perhaps not everyone misses it as much as I do, but I really miss it :(

With the way craft building works in KSP2 I understand it would be more complex since you have multiple crafts in play at once, which are all placed and moved freely, I believe the universal grid should follow the selected craft and probably be set to the anchor part, while the local grid should function how the building does now. 

It's also possible this whole post is a waste of time because this feature is implemented and I just don't know how to toggle it, in which case, please help

The move/rotate tool has the same options snap options as KSP1. When in snap mode, click the snap mode button again and you'll get a popp just above the button to switch between local and global snapping. As with KSP1, you can hold shift to snap with smaller increments and disable snap altogether (the magnet button).

12 hours ago, dvrabel said:

The move/rotate tool has the same options snap options as KSP1. When in snap mode, click the snap mode button again and you'll get a popp just above the button to switch between local and global snapping. As with KSP1, you can hold shift to snap with smaller increments and disable snap altogether (the magnet button).

I just double checked and, you do get another option when you select the move/rotate tool to use a global grid but the global grid doesnt change how the movement of the part works, it still snaps to the same local grid that it usually does.

On 2/26/2023 at 10:32 AM, dvrabel said:

I'm getting pretty frustrated by hidden controls... For all the UI improvements in KSP2... this kind of mystery meat navigation hidden behind clicking buttons I just clicked a second time sucks... who does this without prior knowledge?.. that's right no one, no one does this deliberately.  A lifetime of computer use has trained me to click a button once, see the expected feedback and then know my modality of use has changed and mentally move on... to the level its something I don't think about... click button, next thing happens... this is how a computer works. ( I write software so I know what goes on, I too have read the everything that happens between your finger pressing a key and the letter appearing on screen blog posts. ) 

This sort of design gets a flat ZERO score for how easily users can find out features without prior instructions when critically analyzing the UI and UX of professionally developed business software, the sort usually written to automate or assist with business processes in a million little ways around the world. 

• 1 month later...

I'd suggest anyone having the same issue report it as a bug/post a response on the existing thread about it in the bug reports section. Surely this cannot be the intended functionality - this is the most basic of craft construction tools, and makes it impossible to create symmetries manually that require more than one placement action with the symmetry tool.

• 11 months later...

One issue I have in KSP2 VAB is that its incredible hard to connect to an core segment  if some side parts is in front of it. Game works very very hard to prevent this even if things links up perfectly. 
This being drag segments of an Eve lander. and the top of lander was something side mounted and an design to center it so nothing I wanted to touch without having to test the ship again. 
Putting on temporary nose cones helped but KSP 2 still tried to connect to random stuff to create drag. 

If some want to connect something with symmetry to something else, far more than 95% its to the core. 

5 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Are you talking about the use of the F key while rotating parts?  If so, then that's already part of the game.

The F key does nothing aside from changing the orientation of the rotate/translate gizmo. It doesn't snap the part being moved or rotated to a global grid aligned to the VAB/anchor part. To best see what I am talking about, try placing a couple of the long beams on the differently sloped sides of the Mk3-5 Cockatoo command module. Now, using the snapping mode and the F key, can you get these beams to point exactly parallel to each other and the centerline of the command module? Can you get 2 identical parts to clip into each other completely perfectly when placed at differing initial angles, using only a snapping mode? I cannot, because as far as I can tell, object snapping is only relative to the initial position of the part being moved - they never realign to a global grid no matter how I use the F key.

The only way to get parts closer to being in exactly the same position or exactly centered is by disabling snapping and moving them freehand, which of course will never actually be 100% aligned. And then the problem gets magnified the larger and more complex the vehicle you create.

Unless I am missing something regarding how this F key functions, in which case I would love to be enlightened.

On 3/15/2024 at 6:30 AM, Scarecrow71 said:

Are you talking about the use of the F key while rotating parts?  If so, then that's already part of the game.

I think its the alt key now

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.