Extremly high VRAM usage in VAB.

Motokid600

I had to double take HWIN the other night while I was in the VAB building. My 3090 24gb of vram was maxed out. Never seen that before in any game. Nothing going on in the background other then Twitch. Has anyone experienced this before? I have not been able to reproduce it.

Edited by Motokid600

I haven't checked much on VRAM (As I only have 4GB of it) but I have a 3050 and the VAB runs the smoothest, smoother than any other part of the game. I'd assume the developers did not optimize the VAB to use less VRAM. I'd say I was getting over 60 FPS in the VAB, so I say that this game being next gen and very graphical, should be using tons of VRAM. Although 24GB does seem like a lot of usage.

42 minutes ago, FlyPathic said:

I haven't checked much on VRAM (As I only have 4GB of it) but I have a 3050 and the VAB runs the smoothest, smoother than any other part of the game. I'd assume the developers did not optimize the VAB to use less VRAM. I'd say I was getting over 60 FPS in the VAB, so I say that this game being next gen and very graphical, should be using tons of VRAM. Although 24GB does seem like a lot of usage.

It was running okay oddly enough. No noticeable issues. I suppose if it was a common issue it'd be a bigger topic. A fluke perhaps.

29 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

It was running okay oddly enough. No noticeable issues. I suppose if it was a common issue it'd be a bigger topic. A fluke perhaps.

I have read that people suspect the reason KSP runs so poorly despite not maxing out the usage of the high-end graphics cards they ask for is because the game is throttled by memory bandwith paging in/out data to the GPU due to poorly written deferred rendering code & shaders.  Maybe if people who have huge VRAM sizes on their cards are generally having no trouble, its that - 24GB of VRAM is immense vs the average user.

23 hours ago, RocketRockington said:

I have read that people suspect the reason KSP runs so poorly despite not maxing out the usage of the high-end graphics cards they ask for is because the game is throttled by memory bandwith paging in/out data to the GPU due to poorly written deferred rendering code & shaders.  Maybe if people who have huge VRAM sizes on their cards are generally having no trouble, its that - 24GB of VRAM is immense vs the average user.

Most folks are fixated on the high FPS number, but its the low 1% that makes the best difference imo. Id rather have a game run a constant 30fps then dip into the single digits for example. That is where I feel the high capacity gpus help with. FPS are bad, but overall there is no stuttering or hitching of any kind. Oddly enough this makes low frame rates much more tolerable. I really do hope Private Division can deliver in terms of optimization because the average user should be able to enjoy 30fps at least. But then part count comes into factors which is a very unique variable KSP and few other builder games has to deal with.

On 3/2/2023 at 4:24 AM, FlyPathic said:

How does the game run with your 4GB 3050? Before I saw the requirements for KSP2 I was thinking about getting a laptop with RTX 3050 or possibly RTX 3060 (KSP2 is unplayable on my current system). Now I plan to wait and see how (if) the requirements get lower, because it seems to me from what i have read that even 6GB 3060 may not be powerfull enough. I am going to buy a new laptop for my work anyway, I just need to know what GPU can give me a decent gameplay and find a balance between performance and cost.

Edited by ondrafialka

7 hours ago, ondrafialka said:

How does the game run with your 4GB 3050? Before I saw the requirements for KSP2 I was thinking about getting a laptop with RTX 3050 or possibly RTX 3060 (KSP2 is unplayable on my current system). Now I plan to wait and see how (if) the requirements get lower, because it seems to me from what i have read that even 6GB 3060 may not be powerfull enough. I am going to buy a new laptop for my work anyway, I just need to know what GPU can give me a decent gameplay and find a balance between performance and cost.

So, I'd say it runs pretty decently. Even the best GPUs will not run over 40 FPS in the launch stations, but I get about 20 FPS at first and it is smooth gameplay the rest of the time whilst in space. My full specs are currently:

RTX 3050(4GB) Laptop
8GB Ram
Intel Core i5-12450H

This was a pretty expensive laptop, but I do suggest you get a 3060(6-16GB) for good performance along with a 11th-12th gen i5 or i7. Aswell as 16GB of ram, although I have order 64GB.

@ondrafialkaThe game is also in Early Access so it should perform better once the updates roll out, also get some performance mods.

7 hours ago, ondrafialka said:

I have a 12GB 3060, runs great for me. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.