Weekly Challenge #3 - Land On Minmus

1 hour ago, KincaidFrankMF said:

That's damn impressive! Especially using the gravity assists that way. I rather assumed we just needed the rover to be able to land & return under its own steam - you might have hit some kind of super-Val-level there...

Hahaha, Thanks :)
I would not be able to make it back without the gravity assist. At the end, I only had 8m/s dv left. I used too much fuel climbing up the mountains :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's my Primary Level entry.  Bill needed to get to Minmus really fast.  As in, under 3 hours from launch to the surface.  The engineers said, "No problem."  Bill managed to safely reach the surface of Minmus in 2 hours, 32 minutes, 11 seconds.

rnE6rRF.png

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Just after liftoff.  The lower stage is powered by a bunch of Vector engines.  A lot of them.

g3iO0eL.png

Flight profile is basically launch when Minmus is overhead, then burn straight for it.  When the DV remaining is equal to my speed, I stop burning and coast.  I leave myself a little DV  to correct for errors.

QDIo0VN.png

Coasting to Minmus at about 6,000 m/s.  DV counter says I should have enough to get stopped at Minmus.

YFi4SvJ.png

Slowing down.

9DN9ZMg.png

Close to touchdown.

47IM7FS.png

Landed.  Total flight time- 2 hours, 32 minutes, 11 seconds.

F38ent4.png

Decided to go fast, because I had really enjoyed doing a KSP1 challenge by @physius a few months ago.  Here's a link to that challenge:

My best time in KSP1 was just a little under 2 hours, but that isn't even close to the time some other players achieved.