What we wanted vs. what we got: Did anyone at Intercept actually play KSP 1?

Why would you have to perform 180 degree turns? All this requires is angling a few degrees to either side, to induce a perpendicular component to the burn. I guess perhaps this would work less well in normal/antinormal burns because in those, one axis is controlled by your engine thrust directly instead of your angle.

17 minutes ago, Sea_Kerman said:

Why would you have to perform 180 degree turns?

You wouldn't necessarily, I was replying to Bej Kerman. 

19 minutes ago, Sea_Kerman said:

All this requires is angling a few degrees to either side, to induce a perpendicular component to the burn.

That assumes a small deviation. Plus all that thrust you're using to correct now isn't being used for the main maneuver which means you're not on the intended trajectory anyway.

17 hours ago, Sea_Kerman said:

it would be cool if the maneuver target did move... in order to recorrect you back to the maneuver trajectory, like so

rcLJsts.png

You should make it a separate post to gather more attention.

Edited by Spicat

2 hours ago, rjbvre said:

The biggest problem though is that you're asking your craft to perform quick 180 degree turns for some of the corrections.

When did we start talking about 180 degree turns?

1 hour ago, rjbvre said:
2 hours ago, Sea_Kerman said:

Why would you have to perform 180 degree turns?

You wouldn't necessarily, I was replying to Bej Kerman. 

They asked a good question

7 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

There's nothing stopping the node from offsetting a bit to aim you at your expected position then aiming away from your expected position as you approach your intended trajectory in order to ease back into the planned burn.

I get what you mean by this now, it sounded like you meant a 180 degree turn the first time I read it

• 2 weeks later...

This proper correction would be a huge thing and worthy of KSP 2. And to all the nay sayers: That's what any proper space agency does: Bring the craft on the intended course and not blame the controllers/pilots. You want to reach your goal, your mission, not compete for scores.

A proper compensating and correcting burn marker would have to be unlocked via the tech tree and would be a huge improvement.

And regarding that "because your craft does not burn straight" argument: It would not even matter. As long as the marker points in the right direction, deviation will get better/corrected. In the end the result may not be perfect, but certainly better than without any compensation. Why struggle against an obvious, huge improvement?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.