Hot Air Balloon

• 2 weeks later...

Having trouble copy/pasting the ship code into my VAB, so I tried to replicate the design myself. PHEW - left me w/ a couple of burning questions, lol.

• How did you achieve the tapered part of the "balloon?" I can only achieve that wide of a fairing w/ an actual payload fairing, but the base of the balloon isn't closed off. (it looks like a medium SAS into... perhaps a medium tube? 
  • Are you holding the ship's fuel in the basket?
  • Most importantly - HOW IS THIS FLYING? Is it actually possible to achieve upwards lift via heat in a closed system or is the lift being achieved within the balloon and hidden from view?

Either way, very creative execution from what I can tell in the photos.

5 hours ago, SoulCandy said:

Having trouble copy/pasting the ship code into my VAB, so I tried to replicate the design myself. PHEW - left me w/ a couple of burning questions, lol.

• How did you achieve the tapered part of the "balloon?" I can only achieve that wide of a fairing w/ an actual payload fairing, but the base of the balloon isn't closed off. (it looks like a medium SAS into... perhaps a medium tube? 
  • Are you holding the ship's fuel in the basket?
  • Most importantly - HOW IS THIS FLYING? Is it actually possible to achieve upwards lift via heat in a closed system or is the lift being achieved within the balloon and hidden from view?

Either way, very creative execution from what I can tell in the photos.

I'm off to work (8 am here in NZ) but will get it uploaded to KSPBuilds this evening.

The tapering is done with three sets of procedural wings in 8 x symmetry.  I just adjusted the root and tip lengths accordingly.  That is also how I was able to get the stripes--I changed the colour on one set.

It is flying with a Vector rocket hidden in the basket. I turned it off briefly so I could get--a clean screenshot.

The fuel tank is in the top of the balloon.  I attached it to the outside node and then sunk it down so it was hidden.

Edited by Klapaucius

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.