I think procedural command parts would be incredible for those of use that love the building element of the game.

Examples:

Pods - Pick a diameter, slider for height, slider for top node diameter. Makes anything from dragon to fuji possible. To go above and beyond, add curvature sliders to make soyuz and vostok style pods.

spacexdragoncapsule_0.jpg?itok=KpotQrhGfuji-cm.jpg

Eme1r4K.jpgZOec6.png

Probes - Pick a shape and height

Rovers - I'm not sure how to do this one

Cockpits - mkI or mkII shape, then window style, and length/curvature of the nose

Hitchhiker cans - Diameter, height, maybe shape

Inflatables? - Please

How many kerbals does it fit? - Have the game calculate the maximum sized cuboid that the shape can contain, then calculate how many whole kerbal sized cuboids can be sardined inside that.

How much does it weigh? - Use a density for each command type part for the volume - cuboid, then + weight of kerbals

Doors, windows, and more. - Make these parts radially attachable. This would open the possibility for built-in containers that can be opened by kerbals, cargo holds, multiple hatches, windows. Think parts like ladders are now.

Would this sacrifice IVA? Most likely. But we would still have the old parts for those. Although, procedurally generated IVAs could be done, may not always look great though.

Edited by Superluminaut

• 4 weeks later...

I think procedural command pods would not fit well in the game. But having more command pod options for the aviabele sizes would be nice (kind of like in ksp1 with medium lander can). and each pod has own advantages. Like crew dragon style pod (has engines), Starliner like pod (airbags), bue origin style pods (big windows) etc.

inflatable mudules would be really cool. Hope they will add them later

On 4/3/2023 at 6:03 AM, Superluminaut said:

Would this sacrifice IVA? Most likely. But we would still have the old parts for those. Although, procedurally generated IVAs could be done, may not always look great though.

The idea of having some command pods that have IVA and some that don't sounds like something that doesn't fit into the game. Features like IVA need to be constistent. And also, looking at how much effort the devs put into making the game look beautiful, it seems like a step backwards to add something procedurally-generatet that "may not always look great" in my opinion.

I think this falls squarely into what Shana was talking about with reducing part count for same-type parts.  Why can't we have one command module and have a slider or picker for shape, and for size, and even number of kerbals?  Heck, take it one step further and if you select no kerbals, it becomes a probe core with little to no SAS control?

• 2 weeks later...

I have to respectfully disagree with this one. With the (hopefully) eventual interiors I don't see where this would be possible and personally I don't see where it's needed either. I think this is another great example of what mods should take care of :) Otherwise I enjoy the challenge that working with the different sizes and capacities that are currently in the game. I think everyone is kind of wanting unlimited procedural parts but I just don't see the need to be honest. 

In addition to the IVA issues mentioned above, procedural wings address high part counts for planes in flight and the need to have a large amount of wing component parts in the parts catalog. That issue is far less present for command modules as there's only one strictly needed per ship and there aren't that many different command modules. If you want more kerbals, you normally add passenger modules instead. And a good fraction of command parts have unique designs like the rover and plane cockpits that don't lend themselves well to a basic procedural system.

If the developers were to take the often suggested procedural tanks and implement a more general procedural ship hull system where you can design your own ship hulls and put modular components in them, being able to add command modules with IVA enabled seats and windows to the hull would definitely be an amazing thing to have though.

Edited by Lyneira

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.