KSP2 camera bug

Whiskas

Whenever decoupling a craft, the camera seems to drift to focus on the collective center of mass, rather than the center of mass of the part being controlled, eventually making it impossible to focus on the intended craft

I don't know if the camera really focuses on the center of mass including debris, but it definitly NOT following the center of mass of the ship being controlled. So I agree with Whiskas on this issue.

Here's a Imgur post that describes the issue (if we are talking about the same one with whiskas) : https://imgur.com/a/AcDyj83

To summarize:

1. The fairing relies on a decoupler
  2. After decoupling, the fairing and the decoupler moves away, but the camera moves to the opposite direction endlessly

Other details:

- I think that the fairing is too light compared to the ship to impact the center of mass this much, if the fairing is kept in the calculation for the camera.
- If I use the timewarp to x5 and I return to x1, the ship explodes

When staging above Kerbin, the camera seems to center on the location of the stage rather than the main vehicle. When cycling camera modes, the location also seems to be stuck on that original stage point. A reload does not fix the problem. Switching back and forth to the tracking station does not work.

I've hit this as well, both the camera drift and the explosion post-timewarp. I have a save file that repros, if that's useful.

In my case, the offending part was a TD-12 decoupler, and it still appears in the Parts Manager after decoupling. All my other decouplers disappear from the list, but for some reason this one sticks around and causes trouble.

I've also noticed that if I timewarp quickly after decoupling, the TD-12 gets locked into position relative to my craft. The camera drift only happens if I do a burn before any timewarping. (I guess this makes sense, if the camera is following some kind of center of <whatever> between the two pieces.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • KSP Version 0.1.2.0
  • Operating System: Windows 11
  • CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 5600
    GPU: ASUS TUF NVIDEA RTX 3060 12GB vRAM

• Description of the bug.  
    • Expected behaviour: Regular stage separation
    • Observed behaviour: The craft separates from the tank below, but the camera stars floating between the two stages and the staging and PAM still think the stages are attached. This happens as I am on landing course with Mun.  As the bottom stage slams Mun, the top stage is also obliterated, even though it's not yet near the surface.
  • Steps to Replicate. Happend consistently with the added quicksave.

Download link to the zip file of the bugreporter (through discord).

Edited by Abelinoss

What seperators are you using? I found this happens consistently if you use the TD type inline seperators and have them attached upside down, ie the seperator stays attached to the upper stage rather than being dropped with discarded tanks.

I loaded your quicksave and staged the decoupler.  This looks exactly like a problem I've been running into with decoupling.  The craft doesn't truly separate into multiple crafts.  In the parts manager I still see all the separated parts listed.  I can still control the separated parts from the parts manager.  The pod part started spinning rapidly after the decoupling, but the navball seems to be rotating with respect to the group of three assemblies.  The camera seems to be focused on the center of mass of the three assemblies.

Here's a bug report I just submitted for the same thing:

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2023 at 6:21 PM, fallbrookastro said:

When launching a rocket, leaving a sphere of influence and then re entering any other sphere of influence affects staging in the following way:

Staging occurs, craft decouples, and camera remains seemingly centered on the point of decoupling. Both crafts move away from the centered camera, and are controllable in very unpredictable ways. Pressing 'Home' button to recenter camera only recenters on the middle point. Makes staging and every other aspect of going to other planets / moons not doable and the game unplayable.

Title: Decoupling / staging makes the game not realize that the craft is separated, and still treats it as one single craft. 

Specs: screenshot: https://imgur.com/aG6x3D1 for the screenshot, and here you can find the Drive File of the DxDiag: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dZMlufGczHbD_Dz7TQsGswAWz_KhTCA2/view?usp=share_link

Severity: med/high, as you have to go to the VAB to change the design. Makes it impossible to rech anywhere in current load.

Frequency: Has happened twice, related to tossing a bunch of subassemblies together in VAB by using "open" and then "merge". Have not tried to reproduce it, will update if possible.

Description:  Made a rocket earlier with a complete payload and second stage assembly. Loaded this into the VAB, merged the second stage I have been using, and fiddled around with some of the parts. I added a few ladder / handles, and some ladders to the space station main bus on top, and strutted it together with the ship below, with the struts clipping the orange station tug in the middle of the second stage assembly (view the left craft in the thumbnail below). Will update here if able to reproduce. Further description is below. 

Soooo I had this problem as well. Soon to be read about on my forum post about KB-2 I guess. 

I figured out that the bug happens because the game does not recognize the craft as separated when staging and decoupling. In the video below, there was not a probe core in the first stage, but you can still see in map view that the first stage does not show up as "debris". View the video below for showcase. 

In the VAB, I tried to fix a separate bug related to the booster subassembly, and launched the rocket again to test. It did absolutely not work, but I will find time to post about the unrelated VAB bug. Anyway this clip will really showcase much better how the bug... behaves? How the Kraken behaves during the bug, is probably a more correct description. In the video below I launched the craft.

In the end of the video here is a really good example of what happens when you separate the two craft. With some Δv left in the first stage, both craft are able to burn with the camera locking on the "decoupled center". 

To any devs or who this might concern: Please notify me here on the forum if you have any questions or need more info like craft files etc. I am striving to be as active on the forum I can, and will try to respond within the day. 

• 3 weeks later...