Graveyard orbits and the ISS

farmerben

The plan is to deorbit the ISS a few years from now and scatter the debris above the Pacific Ocean.  Wouldn't it be better to preserve it as a future museum piece?  

Currently an orbit 300 km above geosynchronous is considered a graveyard orbit.  Though the ISS being a unique piece could have its own new graveyard orbit at half that distance and be safely out of the way for centuries.  

What do you think about saving the ISS?

14 minutes ago, farmerben said:

The plan is to deorbit the ISS a few years from now and scatter the debris above the Pacific Ocean.  Wouldn't it be better to preserve it as a future museum piece?  

Currently an orbit 300 km above geosynchronous is considered a graveyard orbit.  Though the ISS being a unique piece could have its own new graveyard orbit at half that distance and be safely out of the way for centuries.  

What do you think about saving the ISS?

That would require around 600 tons of hydrolox (more of anything else).

3 minutes ago, farmerben said:

What about ion thrusters?  Argon gas is really cheap.  The station has plenty of solar electric power already.   Multiple little thrusters mean less stresses and torques on the structure.  

Unsure how many you'd need. Thrust is so low that the nonzero drag on ISS (atmospheric, solar pressure, etc) matters.

1 hour ago, AtomicTech said:

It'd almost be easier to go and disassemble the ISS and bring it back to Earth piece by piece!

It would be a waste of resources now since the STS program has been canceled.

14 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

It would be a waste of resources now since the STS program has been canceled.

Technically, Starship would have the capability with some modifications. And it wouldn't even take that many trips, especially if you're prepared to let go of some bulkier parts, like the solar panels...

I was going to suggest that @AtomicTech is exaggerating, but the more I think about it, the more I think he might be right. In principle, we have some projects for ions that could boost ISS to graveyard over time, but I don't think they've been tested.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.