Good mods for KSP.

You can download CKAN and sort by downloads to get a idea of more popular mods. CKAN is handy as it's a nice and easy way to install mods and deals with dependencies quite nicely.

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/releases/tag/v1.32.0

Your criteria is a little vague but here are some not visual mods I quite like.

• The entire Near Future family - adds engines, new spaceship parts, lots of QOL parts, new Ion and other low thrust electric engines and lots more.. Add Kerbal Atomics, and Cryogenic engines too. Basically anything Nertea makes
  • AtmosphereAutopilot - A much better option vs SAS for flying planes. Makes it far more pleasant.
  • B9 Aerospace Procedural Wings - Goes well with the above as it allows you to make wings any size and shape you want (pretty much) and add tanks in too
  • Hanger - One of my favorite mods that I don't see  a lot of people talk about. Lets you load a ship into a resizable "hanger" and you can then launch the ship from the hanger at a later date. For instance, lets say you want to make a 4 commsat setup. You could launch a ship with 4 ships attached together using docking ports, or you could load them all into a hanger and just launch that (it does take weight/size into account so it is balanced). 
  • Strategia and Contract Configurator - Both make stock contract system far better
  • Editor Extensions and WASD Camera - Make the VAB farm more accessible
  • Kerbal Construction Time - Can't play without this mod. Makes time a resource to manage just like real life. Basically ships take time to build, research takes time to complete etc..
  • Kerbalism - This is a new recommend from me as I've only started using it this playthrough. It's a life support mod, with realistic part failures (and fixing), but it also completely overhauls the entire science system and is just a really well put together mod. You have a lot of difficulty options to change to so if you don't want part failures it's easy to disable.
  • OPT Spaceplane Continued (and reconfig and legacy) - Excellent and huge list of parts for a lot of different types of spaceplanes. Adds engines, hulls, wings and more. Reconfig makes it up to date and compatible with lots of mods.
  • Procedural Parts - Quite a simple mod but very handy and powerful, alternatively you could use tweakscale, or both.
  • SCANsat - Gives you a reason to make satellites and is a very nice mod overall
  • Time Control, Waypoint manager, Universal Storage, Restock (and plus), RCS Build Aid, Mk2/3 Stockalike Expansion, Kerbal Foundries (awesome wheels), KARE (cool nuclear airplane engines), Better SRBs, BonVoyage

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.