Wings Attached in Symmetry Causes Uneven Lift Causing Unwanted Roll

Anth

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.1.3.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel i9 9900K | GPU: Nvidia 3070ti | RAM32GB

What Happened:
I was supplied with a glider by @Abelinoss which was having issues with unusual forces.
I removed symmetry from all parts and the craft started responding much closer to what would be expected.

Picture of Glider:
GliderUsed.png.8dbf6c14a029601779968cb575a34b6f.png

No Parts in Symmetry (Performing Better):

Spoiler
  • New wings with old dimensions at front both sides without symmetry.
  • Copied wings rear and attached without symmetry.
  • Attached wheels x2 without symmetry.
  • Attached air intakes x2  without symmetry.

Video Evidence:
ZeroSymmetry.mp4

Craft File:
GlideAnth4.json

All Parts in Symmetry (Performing Badly):

Spoiler

Video Evidence:
ConstantRightRolling.mp4 (Physics Time Warp Near end showing it more exaggerated)

Craft File:
GlideSymmetry.json

Additional Information:

• I didn't test all wing types for this, but I did test a control surface and that appeared to have the same problem.
  • Other parts may or may not contributed to the problem. I removed all symmetry just in case. I recommend looking for lift/drag for non wing parts as well.
  • Launch directly from the VAB is recommended. Reverting to launch causes other issues.
Edited by Anth12

5 answers to this question

I've found this happening too.

A good workaround for now is to use trim controls to balance out the roll.

You can do this by pressing alt+[opposite direction of roll], and for the rest of the flight, it will permanently apply a tiny offset to counteract your initial roll.

Because the trim is miniscule in its increments, you'll have to tap it a few times to get it just right.

Mr Manley detailing this feature

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx1GWTdng1DzGhyxhV_LWQKztd1Q3U9rH9

Edited by RedderThanMisty

I've been running across this too. I've been balancing my planes to require little to no input to fly, the constant rolling of the planes is really annoying. I've also seen the same behavior with rockets that use wings for stabilization. 

This explains the one major issue I've been having with spaceplanes; in the upper atmosphere the uneven force is substantial and control surfaces alone are incapable of correcting for this (which makes sense especially if they are also contributing).  So far I've only built using Mk1 and Mk2 spaceplaney parts.

1 minute ago, Zipnotoad said:

This explains the one major issue I've been having with spaceplanes; in the upper atmosphere the uneven force is substantial and control surfaces alone are incapable of correcting for this (which makes sense especially if they are also contributing).  So far I've only built using Mk1 and Mk2 spaceplaney parts.

I have experienced that with my space plane that uses the Mk2 cockpit. Annoying for sure.
But I don't believe it is related to this bug.
That bug appears to be something to do with SAS or possibly reaction wheel related issues.

This bug seems to be something to do with symmetry issues primarily.

Welcome to the forums by the way :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.